Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Sub is being weird, too much power?

Okay I have 2 infiniti 10s... running off an 800 watt amp... probably 400-500 RMS... so like 200 rms each.

NOW, I have a feeling one of them doesn't work, don't have a chance to test it yet. It's a little bit hard to tell because obviously with one POUNDING the other does move a lot, so it seems like it's working but it's just not hitting as hard as the other one when I put my hand on it. Maybe its just hitting weaker for some reason, I dunno. Note: the left one is the one that works for sure, right one probably doesn't

ANYWAYS. This is how it goes. I hook it up. It pounds for a few songs, nice and hard. Then the subs stop working. NOW, to fix this... I do the following: Put a song with good bass, turn it way up. Subs aren't hitting at all. Now, if I put my hand on the left sub (the working one) and push it in a little bit, it starts pounding. But if I let go of my hand it goes back to not working. But if I just keep my hand there and push it in for a while, maybe 30 seconds, then sometimes it keeps working after I remove my hand, sometimes not... so yeah. Oh, and when it starts working... same thing... pounds for a couple songs then stops . SOmetime it will randomly come on for like 10 seconds if a different song comes on but that's rare.. When I push the right one nothing happens at all, also why I think it's blown.

So, audio guys, does this sound like too much power is going to the sub? I figure if the right one isn't working then the left one is doing 400+ RMS by itself which is probably not good...I tried turning down the gain the amp to maybe 60% instead of 100% but still the same thing happens.

Help Thanks!
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

just on hook it and test it,it take 10 or 15 minutes to this.........you are not putting your hand on it and holding the sub are you???it sound like it may be on the way out..do you have a volt tester,if so take the sub out of the box and test it and it should read 3.2 ohms and if read open it is done....do not do the test with the it hooked up take it out of the box......Are you having the gain that hight??you sohld have it like 8o'clock no highter thenthat but if are have it at 40% or highter you have ****ed it up........but hey Have posted on a number of times on how to set gains on amps before....but NO one listsens to me...........

Last edited by paul christians; 10-19-2006 at 02:45 PM.
paul christians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Yes I know, I will test it, but the point of this thread was does the behaviour of the sub that's working (sometimes) and then start working again when I push it in sound like it's getting too much power, or does it sound like its blown, etc..
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^if you tested the sub on volt metre what dose it say 3.2 or lower and it maybe the amp aswell....to test the amp flip the sub around and go from there....And turn down the gains to 8o'clock ok........you donot need then highter then that....
Old 10-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

take out the sub and check if the wires in the back of the sub are lose.. could be that when bass hits ..... or it could just be a loose wire man take out the sub and check it out
SpoolinS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^he would have seen that,but it can not be that easy dude.....M powered did you push the easy button....hehehehehe....
Old 10-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
BMW03
2nd Gear Member

... thats what my first thought was, pull the sub out and check the wiring, that sometimes gets loose, and even check the little wire that goes to the cone, my buddies sub the other day just stoped working and that was what happened. The little wire broke.
I don't think its blown though, if it is still working, just a hand there.
BMW03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Soldo
6th Gear Member

You need to get that Fosgate sub off me... its the same one you were looking for!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
BMW03
2nd Gear Member

lol
What Kind?
BMW03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 AM   #10
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Its a RF P3001 AMP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: