Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
M3Power99
2nd Gear Member

Need Help ... Insurance not paying for OEM parts

I got hit from the back recently and my bumper and muffler are being replaced by the insurance company. Now, the body shop found out that my center pipe is bent ....

The insurance company is insisting on getting an aftermarket center pipe ... I have no idea whether an aftermarket is better or worse than OEM?

Should I insist/complain that they put an OEM or an aftermarket is okay? If so, what's a good brand?

Need this info ASAP as I am suppose to call them back and discuss this ...

I should mention that I have a 99 e36 M3
M3Power99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
europrince
6th Gear Member

Insurance pays for OEM or aftermarket if quality is comperable. Insurance are a business, if they can fix your car with aftermarket or refurb parts and get it to like-original condition, they will. Insisting on getting them to spend extra on OEM parts is futile.

Let's not forget, the aftermarket business is huge. Car manufacturers sell specs on parts to aftermarket suppliers, who build parts according to original spec. As well, the bulk of parts are outsourced anyway. Lemforter makes BMW suspension components, Mann produces BMW air filters and Bosch produces sensors used on BMWs. These companies turn around and produce these same parts under their own banner, which are then sold as 'aftermarket'

Last edited by europrince; 10-03-2006 at 03:46 PM.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince
Let's not forget, the aftermarket business is huge. Car manufacturers sell specs on parts to aftermarket suppliers, who build parts according to original spec. As well, the bulk of parts are outsourced anyway. Lemforter makes BMW suspension components, Mann produces BMW air filters and Bosch produces sensors used on BMWs. These companies turn around and produce these same parts under their own banner, which are then sold as 'aftermarket'
WRONG. It is BMW who is turning around and selling BOSCH and other parts as BMW parts by putting them in the BMW boxes and jacking up the price.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
jeffrie
Addict

Tell them you looked everywere and can't find anything better for cheaper then your current exaust.
Make them find you a replacment of equal or better quality and make shure they know you expect the proof to back up their choice.
Make them work and and they won't = they will just let you have OEM.
And inform them since I'm sure they will not beleive you that all BMW's have a one peice exhaust sytem from the cat back. Do not let them get away with a 1/2 ass patch job as they butcher your current exhaust to make something ealse work to save a few bucks. If they isnsit then insist that it's done at a dealership.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
BMWags
6th Gear Member

pay insane fukin amounts for insurance and they wont even fix your the back to the way it was....assholes
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

I just went through this with my insurance company. After I hit that raccoon & smacked up the front of my car; I took it to the body shop & they gave me a rough figure on putting everything back to O.E.

That is... until they found out it was a State Farm Insurance claim. When I got the "insurance" quote to sign; it had all kinds of aftermarket parts & my favourite "used/refurbished" parts. Anything to drop the cost of repairs down.

Still cost them $2500 though.....

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Doesn't statefarm have a policy that they will not use aftermarket parts?

They either use good quality used OEM parts, or get them new.

For my Acura, they tried 3 different OEM used bumpers (none of them fit properly.. too many waves in it) and went with a brand new OEM bumper. I found a new aftermarket bumper replacement, and they said they canít use it. It must be an OEM product (new or used).
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

Hey same here they used OEM on my Acura as well. I have
Allstate, everyone should bring this topic up with their insurance companies and see what they say about repairs involving OEM parts and if they do that.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #9
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
WRONG. It is BMW who is turning around and selling BOSCH and other parts as BMW parts by putting them in the BMW boxes and jacking up the price.
Symantics. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

I'll tell you that the Lemforter control arm and the Mann air filter I have on my 540 won't fit many other cars. BMW didn't take control arms off Lemforter's shelf. Lemforter produces a part according to what BMW, its client, asks for. Hence, my statement is more correct than yours.

Techmax, the shop that installed my control arm, showed me the Lemforter arm side by side with the BMW arm. All symbols and numbers were raised, as opposed to imbedded. The Lemforter logo and part number appeared on both parts. The BMW logo and part number was shaved off my replacement part. $120 in my pocket.

Last edited by europrince; 10-03-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower_Level

That is... until they found out it was a State Farm Insurance claim. When I got the "insurance" quote to sign; it had all kinds of aftermarket parts & my favourite "used/refurbished" parts. Anything to drop the cost of repairs down.

Still cost them $2500 though.....
Your car wasn't brand new and crashed on the dealership lot. An insurer puts you to a like position prior to the collision. They replaced a used part with a used/refurbished part. The car was returned to you in the same or better shape than it was prior to the collision.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 AM   #11
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Your car wasn't brand new and crashed on the dealership lot. An insurer puts you to a like position prior to the collision. They replaced a used part with a used/refurbished part. The car was returned to you in the same or better shape than it was prior to the collision.
Incorrect.
Insurence is to insure replacment cost, not actual cost.
They will try to get away with it never the less.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 10-04-2006 at 02:20 AM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #12
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
But, there is more to that. Aftermarket fenders for example don't always fit correctly, and don't have the sharp crease marks like an OEM one (even used - but good condition).

It is also liability. If they use OEM Parts (New or Used), there is less risk for the insurance company. They sometimes donít want to deal with aftermarket items for liability reasons.

Statefarm refused to use a NEW aftermarket replacement bumper, which actually cost less than a used OEM bumper. It would have been cheaper to use the NEW Aftermarket one, but their policy is NO aftermarket stuff ( at least my agent).

I ended up getting a new OEM bumper in the end, because the used ones didnít fit.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Quote:
Doesn't statefarm have a policy that they will not use aftermarket parts?

They either use good quality used OEM parts, or get them new.
Sorry to hijack this thread.....

Maybe it was just the body shop I took it to. Because I know they put a used bumper on my car; as well as a used AC Condenser. But they also put an aftermarket set of fog lights on my car ( close to OE, but the fit is terrible ). Yet when I asked if they could put an aftermarket m3 replica bumper on; they said they couldn't. So where do they draw the line?

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on how it should be; I'm just stating how it happened to me. FWIW

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: