Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-26-2002, 08:06 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Anyone use TMS performance chip on 318? If not, what do you recommend?

Hey guys, I'm planning to get a chip real soon. My choices are between the following...

- Garett
- EAT
- Bavarian
- BMP
- TMS

Too many problems w/ Dinan chips, my uncle w/ M6 had Dinan chip, I had it for a while, my friend w/ 318 had it, and my friend w/ 325 had it. They all said sometimes their car wouldn't start and a lot of the time there was engine hesitation at 4500RPM... strange. I've also heard that US spec chips are made to operate within US temps. So that means above 10 degrees or so, that's why sometimes your car doesn't start with a performance chip. This is according to Dinan anyways, their technical support reply. This is obviously BS, because it snows in some places in the US.

Anyways, back on topic, Basically I would just like to know if you guys have had any problems with these brands. And if not, what do you like about them?

Thanks,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:05 AM   #2
Sylak
2nd Gear Member

Go with jim C chip from turnere motorsport i got one for my 325e, got no probleme with it even in cold weather!it not a 318. so it doesnt help you much, but the chip do a real good chip on my car! the 318 version will surely be as good!

there maybe a differenc between Dinan and Jim C chip!
Sylak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
mike125k
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mike125k
i have a jim c chip from TMS in my M42. made a nice improvent to it. added a little bit to the bottom end, at about 3500 it pulls stronger, and from 5000+ it really sings now! mine seemed to be flat from 5k above with the stock chip before. pulling 5th gear passing is easier too. you just have to watch because the rev limiter is basically gone now. its pushed back to 7200, but at 7200 the harmonic balancers has a tendancy to explode and you can float valves too.
mike125k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 02:46 AM   #4
E30 Stu
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to E30 Stu
Quote:
Originally posted by mike125k
i have a jim c chip from TMS in my M42. made a nice improvent to it. added a little bit to the bottom end, at about 3500 it pulls stronger, and from 5000+ it really sings now! mine seemed to be flat from 5k above with the stock chip before. pulling 5th gear passing is easier too. you just have to watch because the rev limiter is basically gone now. its pushed back to 7200, but at 7200 the harmonic balancers has a tendancy to explode and you can float valves too.
Well said. But it should be noted that the harmonic balancer fails at 7350. Good info otherwise.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:03 PM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

What's the new rev limit? 6800RPM? I don't understand the point of pusing the rev limiter so high. The M42's power peaks out at around 6000RPM anyways. Any high than that the power starts to fall. I'd rather fun at a safe RPM, sometimes when I get a little rev happy I really redline it in the corners when I downshift. I'll just have to be careful I guess.

Thanks for the info guys.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 11-30-2002, 06:06 PM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

hey autotechnica...are you serious bout those dinan chips? i went to see rick with his e30 318is and he has a dinan chip...there was a little bit of hesitation in the car but after than it reved happily all the way to 7000 or a little below..the motor had no problems, i went with empowerd to test it out...but are jim c's chips better for performance than dinan?

e30 and e36 also have the same engine right? the M42? whats the safest RPM to rev it to? now that theres no rev limiter my brother has to be extra careful....for racing, whats the best RPM to shift at? like where there powerband stops making power

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 06:08 PM   #7
E30 Stu
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
What's the new rev limit? 6800RPM? I don't understand the point of pusing the rev limiter so high. The M42's power peaks out at around 6000RPM anyways. Any high than that the power starts to fall. I'd rather fun at a safe RPM, sometimes when I get a little rev happy I really redline it in the corners when I downshift. I'll just have to be careful I guess.

Thanks for the info guys.

Bryan
The power peak is around 6400-6600 on a '91 (E30) M42. The Conforti chip has a 7200 redline. It is necessary for utility on the track, the extra RPM is nice to have in corners. It is also essential on the 1-2 shift to stay above 4500 rpm.

Why would you be downshifting in corners?
Old 11-30-2002, 08:51 PM   #8
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
hey autotechnica...are you serious bout those dinan chips? i went to see rick with his e30 318is and he has a dinan chip...there was a little bit of hesitation in the car but after than it reved happily all the way to 7000 or a little below..the motor had no problems, i went with empowerd to test it out...but are jim c's chips better for performance than dinan?

e30 and e36 also have the same engine right? the M42? whats the safest RPM to rev it to? now that theres no rev limiter my brother has to be extra careful....for racing, whats the best RPM to shift at? like where there powerband stops making power
Well I'm not going to say that all Dinan chips will produce this result. But I've seen it in enough cars to convince me to buy a different brand.

The most damaging part of revving into the redline area is not really how high an RPM you reach, but how long you stay at that RPM. For instance, when your in a drag race, each time you hit redline your only touching it for a split second, then you change gears. If your racing on a track, you could be hitting redline in the corners for a few seconds because you need the power up high to pull you through the corner, much more damaging.

E30 M42's and E36 M42's bascially have the same engine. Visually all I noticed was that the intake manifolds were slightly different. E36 M42 has thermoplastic intake manifolds on the inside which cannot be extrude honed and E30 M42's have cast iron (I think) intake manifolds which can be extrude honed.

1996 and later I believe, the E36 318 is using the OBD2 M44 engine. Slightly more torque and what other differences I have no idea. Visually, the ignition system looks different, and the air box is a different design. Instead of having air fed in through the front grills, it is fed in through behind the head light area (correct me if I'm wrong). And it also appears that the air box/filter is much smaller.

For racing on the M42 (stock), I think shifting at 6000RPM is the best. It's where your peak power is and you won't loose power by over revving. Important to get your car dyno'd once you have lots of mods or a moderate amount. You have to figure out where your peak power is on the RPM band so you know where to shift. But generally you will get the idea as you drive the car more and more.

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 11-30-2002 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:00 PM   #9
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by E30 Stu

The power peak is around 6400-6600 on a '91 (E30) M42. The Conforti chip has a 7200 redline. It is necessary for utility on the track, the extra RPM is nice to have in corners. It is also essential on the 1-2 shift to stay above 4500 rpm.

Why would you be downshifting in corners?
The E36 and E30 M42 could possbily be different. I believe on the E36 M42 the stock redline is just below 6500RPM (6450). And according to dyno's on a stock car the peak power is 138HP@6000RPM (E36). I'm not too thrilled about having such a high redline, without performance cams to push that power further up in the RPM band I find it's quite useless.

Sorry, I did not mean downshifting "while" in a corner, I meant right before. On the M42 you really have to get above 4500RPM to get the torque to pull you out of the corner, otherwise I find you just get understeer.

Bryan

Old 11-30-2002, 09:35 PM   #10
E30 Stu
3rd Gear Member

The '91 M42 is identical to the '92-'95 except for the intake manifold. The '91 manifold is very similar to the one used in the 2002tii, and flows MUCH better than the E36 manifold. The '91 manifold pulls much harder over 5000. A friend of mine from Wisconson dynoed her slightly modified '91 M42 (stock internals) at 124 HP @ 6400 at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno.

The M44 is BMW's "account department special" motor. It has a cast iron crankshaft that is NOT even fully counterweighted! It also has an even lousier intake that really chokes the top end.

Yea, shifting at 6000 is only optimal if you plan on not extracting maximum performance out of your M42. On the 1-2 shift, you HAVE to go 7000, otherwise when you hit 2nd, you'll fall flat on your face. This may be slightly different on an E36, but not much different. You need to wind it atleast 6500 in 1st. For the rest of the gears, you can shift at about 6300-6600 and be alright. The only time you want to shift at 6000 is 4-5. Your asking to get ass kicked by the Hondas if you drop below 4500.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:02 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
The '91 M42 is identical to the '92-'95 except for the intake manifold. The '91 manifold is very similar to the one used in the 2002tii, and flows MUCH better than the E36 manifold. The '91 manifold pulls much harder over 5000. A friend of mine from Wisconson dynoed her slightly modified '91 M42 (stock internals) at 124 HP @ 6400 at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno.

The M44 is BMW's "account department special" motor. It has a cast iron crankshaft that is NOT even fully counterweighted! It also has an even lousier intake that really chokes the top end.

Yea, shifting at 6000 is only optimal if you plan on not extracting maximum performance out of your M42. On the 1-2 shift, you HAVE to go 7000, otherwise when you hit 2nd, you'll fall flat on your face. This may be slightly different on an E36, but not much different. You need to wind it atleast 6500 in 1st. For the rest of the gears, you can shift at about 6300-6600 and be alright. The only time you want to shift at 6000 is 4-5. Your asking to get ass kicked by the Hondas if you drop below 4500.
Thanks! That's some very good infomation.

Do you think it would benefit me to swap an E30 intake manifold? Do you think the E30 manifold's air flow is sufficient? I would like to extrude hone it if possible.

thanks again,

Bryan

Old 11-30-2002, 10:05 PM   #12
E30 Stu
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica

Thanks! That's some very good infomation.

Do you think it would benefit me to swap an E30 intake manifold? Do you think the E30 manifold's air flow is sufficient? I would like to extrude hone it if possible.

thanks again,

Bryan
Yea, we plan on selling the '91 manifold/E36 swap kits. You'll just need the manifold, t-body and a few other parts. The airflow is more than sufficient. What does your E36 weigh?
Old 11-30-2002, 10:20 PM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:

Yea, we plan on selling the '91 manifold/E36 swap kits. You'll just need the manifold, t-body and a few other parts. The airflow is more than sufficient. What does your E36 weigh?
I don't think I'll need the TB. I got my TB bored out (+5mm/+1) mm and it was from an E30. From what I can see they are identical.

My E36 weighs 2800lbs I believe. Could be slightly less.

What do you mean manifold swap kits? Isn't it just a direct bolt on for the manifold peice only? If not, how much will these kits be available for?

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 11-30-2002, 10:27 PM   #14
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Hey E30 Stu,

Your borbet wheels look identical to my 1992 318's wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc08474.jpg (61.2 KB, 111 views)

Old 11-30-2002, 10:37 PM   #15
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

E30 Stu,

One more thing, Re. the manifold swap. I was looking at an E30 318 tonight and I noticed how high the intake manifold sticks out. The guy I met up with tonight said it probably won't fit under my hood unless I get it modified somehow. How does your swap kit work? I'd like more info please. Thanks!

Bryan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: