Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
c900t16
2nd Gear Member

E21 help!!!! wont start!

ok well,

for some reason, the car wont start now and there is no spark at the coil and we changed it still nothing. The guys at the shop think it may be the alarm preventing it form starting. DId these come with factory alarms?

it was working yesterday but then we pulled the battery to cahnge the gas tank and get the one half fixed and we put eveything back together today and now it wont start.

Any ideaS? like i said, im new to BMW and especially someting this old !

ps.
car is a 1982 320i
c900t16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ first thing i would do is check the ground strapping from the negative terminal to the car body (firewall).. could be broken or completely off. (usually a copper braided connection).
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
c900t16
2nd Gear Member

I pulled on that cable your are talking about, it didnt have any play and was well planted!! Except on mine, it doesnt go to the firewall, its right on the frame/body of the car along with a bunch of other grounds. Looked solid with no green cancer.

Im thinking im going to re do all the ground cables with a heavier gauge wire, since all the wires on this car as super thin, and if i decided to use an MSD coil or any other higher gauge plug wires, id be affraid of melting them for one thing and secondly it would be a pointless mod in the end...ill replace the postive batt. lead too.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
D..
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the E21 club... they never start man.
D.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D..
welcome to the E21 club... they never start man.

Like he said man. Thats why i got rid of mine. check out this forum you will get way more help there. Good luck

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=143
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
c900t16
2nd Gear Member

i joined that one too the other day but i havent posted on it yet!
Old 01-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
c900t16
2nd Gear Member

dam,,,,turns out one tooth on the disstributor gear is missing...shit.

So i have 3 options charlie said:

Do an e30 swap,
Find an m10 engine and swap it
Find the gear, pul the head and swap it in.

Now i dont have much cash cause im not working, so i think im going to pull the head myself and do it, but I need to find out where i can get this gear.

Anyone know of anyone with an m10 engine or this gear thing i need??
Anyone have instructions on how to remove the head ? im sure its like any other head job...line up to TDC and watch the gearing, and is there is no mark, make one! Liek is said, im new to these cars and something this old bu tim not affriad to do the work...jsut gona be a bitch now its freezing and i have no garage. I doubt cahrlie will let me use his shop and i dont think i have enough money to pay him to do it.

I really need help on instructions for this car and where to get the part.

Last edited by c900t16; 01-27-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by c900t16
dam,,,,turns out one tooth on the disstributor gear is missing...shit.

So i have 3 options charlie said:

Do an e30 swap,
Find an m10 engine and swap it
Find the gear, pul the head and swap it in.

Now i dont have much cash cause im not working, so i think im going to pull the head myself and do it, but I need to find out where i can get this gear.

Anyone know of anyone with an m10 engine or this gear thing i need??
Anyone have instructions on how to remove the head ? im sure its like any other head job...line up to TDC and watch the gearing, and is there is no mark, make one! Liek is said, im new to these cars and something this old bu tim not affriad to do the work...jsut gona be a bitch now its freezing and i have no garage. I doubt cahrlie will let me use his shop and i dont think i have enough money to pay him to do it.

I really need help on instructions for this car and where to get the part.
Tooth is missing on the dizzy gear?? Where the hell did it go? Is it still in the dizzy housing? You shouldn't need to pull the head, need to take the dizzy housing off, find the missing tooth parts and buy a new distributor. Unless the cam gear is damaged you shouldn't have any trouble.

Worst case changing the head is not a big deal. Put motor to TDC, both lobes on number one pointing straight down. Put finger in #1 spark plug hole and make sure you're on compression stroke. Remove upper timing chain cover, remove cam gear and tie off so you don't loose a tooth on the crank gear. Remove head bolts and yer done.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
c900t16
2nd Gear Member

OK well, it is the cam gear for sure...im not going to do a head job, coost too much right now.

So my next option is sell the car (check car for sale), or find a new complete haed and just do a swap for now.

Will a head off an '85 E30 320 with the m10 engine fit?? reason i ask, the fuses and a couple other things look different from mine...i found 2 possible m10's from both '85's E30's....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: