Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Brakes, opinion question

Alright, i'm gonna be doing some power mods to my e36 in the (hopefully near) future.

Pretty much the usual stuff, s52 or shriek cams, manifold, software, diff, pullies, mabye even port and polish the head, we'll see.

Basically my question is, how much braking power do i need? I *may* lightly track the car next year, but its a street car/commuter/all around car before a track car.

So long as i dont boost the car, are stock 328 brakes ok? Get some nice slotted rotors and some race pads?

If/when i start putting down real power (FI), i may go m3, 330ci or a aftermarket BBK, just wondering if i'll get away with it for now.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Before going on the BBK or M3 brake upgrade, it will be always better to upgrade SS line and Good brake fluid with GOOOd pads. This is the combo im currently using for my car. and trust me, I track my car A LOT during the season.

BBK or M3 caliper would be ideal when u upgrade the powerout put of the car.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Whatever you decide to do, do us all a favor, and PLEASE.....

Stay the hell away from the track! Learn to drive first, then maybe, just MAYBE one day you can come on the track with the big boys!
Old 08-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo
Whatever you decide to do, do us all a favor, and PLEASE.....

Stay the hell away from the track! Learn to drive first, then maybe, just MAYBE one day you can come on the track with the big boys!
I back up soldo's opinion. Try to participate in the high performance driving school first. You learn so much in the school. The school is highly recommended.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

I would go to driving school beforehand. But on that note, neither of you have seen me drive, so relax.

and yes, SS brake lines and race brake fluid will be going in, i'm still waiting for someone to answer my original question

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
Old 08-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
mpower answered your question.
SS brake lines, quality high temp brake fluid, and solid pads should be your first step. eventually M3 or 330ci front brake conversion.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Big T
94 318is

Brembo Blanks. Slotted is ineffective in street driving and street brake temps.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

why, i've heard nothing but good things about slotted rotors. and aren't they less suseptible to warping?

hid headlights hid kit
Old 08-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one
I would go to driving school beforehand. But on that note, neither of you have seen me drive, so relax.

and yes, SS brake lines and race brake fluid will be going in, i'm still waiting for someone to answer my original question
Even a good experienced driver will learn alot from high performance driving school. It simply doesnt matter if you are good driver or not. And no I did not say anything about ur driving skill, My apology if I offended you in anyway.

And Yes i answered your question already.

Without any major power upgrade, good ss line along with good fluid with pad is sufficient enough for daily and light track use.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Oh, i said TONS about your driving skills, i've never seen you drive and i hope to keep it that way. I DO know that every time you get behind the wheel of a car your wearing your damn LOAFERS, and those are NOT the proper shoes to be driving in grandma!

For brakes, you cheapest/easiest route would probably be 330 brakes. They're larger than E36 M3 brakes (in diameter) and they just bolt right on. Where as the M3 brakes you have to either get the M spindles or do some machining to the carrier bracket!

BBK are not worth the money IMO. Unless your doing some hardcore tracking, i'd rather invest the money in GOOD tires, since you can only brake as good as your tires!
Old 08-27-2006, 01:02 AM   #11
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Agreed... the stock brakes can go a long way. Good pads and good brake fluid would be a good start.

If you know how to drive, you should be able to prevent u'r corrent stock setup from fading...

On my Jetta VR6, stock brakes (pads, rotors, fluid) going over 200 km/h many-a-times within a short period and having to stop/slow, or under very agressive driving in corners I've never had them fade on me. But then again, you need to know how to use u'r brakes properly.

It also has a lot to do on how u break-in u'r pads.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
///Milan
4th Gear Member

I just got Zimmerman cross drilled rotors and EBC Green Stuff pads, im putting them in this week so I'll let you know how it works out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: