Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

Lighting Issue...

hey guys...

so here's the deal. i bought FK headlights and an HID kit... i finally put them both in this weekend only to find out that the FK angel eyes in the headlights are really yellowish compared to my 6000k HIDs... i didn't even THINK about the colour difference whn i bought them... ignorant of me, yes.

but now...

...what the hell do i do?!?! lol...

does anyone know...
...is there a replacement bulb thats whiter to put in the FK headlights?
...or do i have to get rid of my ****en lights and get ones that actually match (like ZKW, etc)?

HELP!

Steph
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
depends.. what kind of bulb does the angel eyes use.
you should be able to replace the bulb with a fake-xenon one to better match the HID's.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
Pull them apart and find out what kind of bulb fit in the AEs. If they are anything like my Impros, it's an H5W bulb, and will be nearly impossible to find a "whiter" version short of ordering from the UK. They just aren't available here. Now what I did: I bought CCFL rings from Umnitza (predators) and siliconed them to the back of the inner lens. They are BRIGHT and perfectly white.

Maybe post some pics of your headlights, and I'll be able to give you some more advice as to what options you have. Dave
98Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

shit thats what i was afraid of... i heard that the replacement bulbs are nearly impossible to find too... i'll post pics too when i have the chance

thanx
Old 08-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #5
mirek
6th Gear Member

Just return the FK's, they're garbage, pickup a set of depo's or ZKW's if money permits...
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Or you can rip the whole angel eye assembly out of your FK headlights and retrofit CCFL's. Not sure what the FK headlights' AE's are like, its probably doable though

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie
shit thats what i was afraid of... i heard that the replacement bulbs are nearly impossible to find too... i'll post pics too when i have the chance

thanx
I have around 10 extra bulbs for the FK's. Bought a bunch a while back. If you ever need a pair, let me know and I can mail 'em out. Also, there are ways to filter out the yellow spectrum of the bulbs to make them appear more 6000k-ish if you don't want to dump money on problematic CCFL angel eyes.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Boo stephanie shoulda contacted me for those ! By the way did you go to joes, with the civic?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

thank you hun, ill keep that in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
I have around 10 extra bulbs for the FK's. Bought a bunch a while back. If you ever need a pair, let me know and I can mail 'em out. Also, there are ways to filter out the yellow spectrum of the bulbs to make them appear more 6000k-ish if you don't want to dump money on problematic CCFL angel eyes.

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob
Old 09-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

yes i did! how did u kno!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_blaze
Boo stephanie shoulda contacted me for those ! By the way did you go to joes, with the civic?

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob
Old 09-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Because I saw your civic all the time when I was in joes, you still remember Reno, Billy and all them? I used to chill with Billy sometimes I seen your car with the pink civic at a show. You had the red pearl and everything, how much did you pay for the headlights? Can you return them at all? Fk isnt the best ones I havent had much experience with it but from personal experience Depo or ZKW is best.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 09-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

yea i remember all those guys!! omg small world!

yea i would have loved to get the ZKW but under the circumstances i ended up with the FK's... although... the other day i noticed that the lenses are stamped with "DEPO" so i'm a lil confused lol... the box said "FK" the lights say "DEPO" wtf?!

Old 09-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
Justin e36
---

The FK headlamps are not as bad as everyone says. I've opened up FK's, DJ Automotive, ZKW's and Depo's... still haven't managed to get my hands on Bosch headlights, but they're apparently the best of the bunch.

Steph - The glass lens on the outside is removable, they could've clipped on Depo glass lenses on your FK headlamps. The only real way to tell what headlights they really are is to open them up unfortunately. Though from the photo in your signature, they do look like FK projectors in your low beam housing.

In either case, the FK headlamps are still very good quality inside, I'd say on par with the Depo headlamps. The DJ Automotive headlamps are horrible.. surprised they don't catch on fire.

If money is no object to you, then by all means.. upgrade to ZKW or Bosch headlamps. I really don't think you'll notice any significant difference though, and would think the money is better spent elsewhere. (like on repairing the convertible top.) If your problem is with the angel eyes, then just upgrade those, instead of the entire headlamps. It's not very expensive to do.

Maybe Proprone can post up a photo of his headlights.. he has 6000k HID's with upgraded 6000k angel eyes too.

J
Old 09-23-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

The angel eyes are different though Justin, from my understanding FK doesnt use CCFL lighting. Ivans is like a cheaper version of Umnitza Chromiums, he has the blueish white look from the chrome backing on the ring.

Steph, come by the shop or if you need it asap my place ill show u the differences and help you with your lighting struggle. lol

Old 09-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Ah, so this is who you are on max!

Nice meeting you last night btw!

I'm the guy who jumped on my Hyundai Stationwagon Beater at the gas station!

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: