Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #61
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

I think youre forgetting one important element man, your 318 has no balls lol

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #62
Ritz
2nd Gear Member

Well is a supercharger a smarter investment then a turbo since there is no low rmp lag?
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #63
mirek
6th Gear Member

a DASC 318 only puts out about as much as a 328 anyways...
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #64
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Even with the stock shifter, you'll be able to shift fine. Unless you have a 2' shift lever you'll be able to pull quick shifts.

Don't worry about your brakes, and a BBK will do nothing for you, you'll never (or shouldn't) overheat your brakes drifting.

The the 3-series kit is better for track, but the M3 kit will definately make the car tail happy with the thicker rear bar (24 vs 21mm) and the narrower front bar 26 vs 28mm).

I wouldn't skimp on the reinforcements unless you enjoy the idea of slamming into a wall backwards at 100km/h because something failed.

Basically most of the rear reinforcements and bushings can be done at once. Because you have a 318, you'll want to swap to a 6 cylinder rear subframe. They're larger and will allow the larger case diff with the type 188 gearset. Once the subframe is out you can drop in the new diff, 6 cyl axles, subframe bushings/reinforcements, etc, etc. Most reinforcements can either be custom made (they're pretty simple) or you can buy them from Turner Motorsports. Just don't forget, safety first right.

What are you going to do for power upgrades? While a 318 is driftable, it'll be hard to keep the ass end out for long without the extra torque.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #65
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek
a DASC 318 only puts out about as much as a 328 anyways...
Horsepower wise, but not torque wise.

Your best bet might be an engine swap. You're going to be extremely limited with the 1.8L. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you haven't started modding yet you might want to consider selling off the 318 and picking up a 325 or 328. The power difference isn't subtle.

Here is another shameless plug for myself:
http://www.nelsonpapel.com/skidpad.mpg
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #66
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Like i said before, theres no point in doing any engine modifications to a 318 cause a SC or a Trubo will run the same as installing an M/S 50/2
Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #67
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo
Like i said before, theres no point in doing any engine modifications to a 318 cause a SC or a Trubo will run the same as installing an M/S 50/2
And it'll probably be cheaper as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #68
Ritz
2nd Gear Member

Well what do rebuilt M/S and 50/2 engines run at? and as for the m3 eibach kit, will it fit fine? I don't know how many mms wider the M3 is to the IS.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #69
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
Well what do rebuilt M/S and 50/2 engines run at? and as for the m3 eibach kit, will it fit fine? I don't know how many mms wider the M3 is to the IS.
man didnt you say you didnt have enough cash to even buy an I6 3 series in the first place, how r u possibly gonna have the cash to do any of the things your even asking about here, if you ask me it sounds like ur full of poo poo

Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #70
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroBMW
man didnt you say you didnt have enough cash to even buy an I6 3 series in the first place, how r u possibly gonna have the cash to do any of the things your even asking about here, if you ask me it sounds like ur full of poo poo
yupppppp
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 PM   #71
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
The M3 bars will fit fine.

I'd really advise against an engine swap if you're starting from scratch. Buy a 325/8 and you'll have the 6cyl engine and a beefier driveline.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:00 AM   #72
///tyron
4th Gear Member

dont even waste your time with the 318, save your money and buy somthing worth the money putting into.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:11 AM   #73
Ritz
2nd Gear Member

I was planing to do these mods over a span of 20 months, i satrted a budget list and but the mods in order from least to most important.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #74
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Being a 318is owner, I can vouch for what is being said... This car was castorated from factory (ie: NO BALLS). I'm not sure if you've actually tried to get the rear wheels spinning in your car yet, but I can tell you from experience that it's not an easy feat & as has been said; they won't stay spinning for long. There would be MAJOR work involved in getting enough torque & HP to do what you're wanting.

If you haven't started anything with your car yet; take the advice & dump it for a 328is... Much better starting platform IMO.

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #75
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Hey Ritz so what school do you go to for auto engineering, are you at UofW??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: