Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-16-2006, 02:34 AM   #46
Ritz
2nd Gear Member

Ummm well I decided to BUY this car because I wanted to do something different and new. You obviously havent been to Europe have you? In the past 4 years in Europe drifting has become so popular that there are drift races every week. When I was there this summer, it almost looked like ralley tournaments but on pavement. People there have a much more positive mentality about this then you people here. Funny thing is I saw an E30 318IS win a drift tournament that lasted 3 days in which some of the "favourites expected to win were an EVOIV and a 206 on roides. As for what you just said Axxe, not once did I say that a bumper and stickers will make your car faster or give it a better spring rate. Could you atleast try to stay on topic if you're going to post?
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 AM   #47
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
Ummm well I decided to BUY this car because I wanted to do something different and new. You obviously havent been to Europe have you? In the past 4 years in Europe drifting has become so popular that there are drift races every week. When I was there this summer, it almost looked like ralley tournaments but on pavement. People there have a much more positive mentality about this then you people here. Funny thing is I saw an E30 318IS win a drift tournament that lasted 3 days in which some of the "favourites expected to win were an EVOIV and a 206 on roides. As for what you just said Axxe, not once did I say that a bumper and stickers will make your car faster or give it a better spring rate. Could you atleast try to stay on topic if you're going to post?
I just came back from Europe too. Do you know why that E30 won? BECAUSE HE COULD DRIVE!! I don't give a **** how "drift kitted out" any car is unless the driver is good at drifting. The drift king can drift a 60 HP shitbox better than most can drift 300 hp drift cars. Learn to drift first, then worry about everything else. Drifting is 90% driver, 10% car.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 AM   #48
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
THANK YOU TOM.

shit man these noobs bring good laughs to max.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 AM   #49
Axxe

I don't know how to driftzors, I'm not cool

Old 08-16-2006, 03:00 AM   #50
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
wow, i dont know who the **** you are, but i bet you money both of the people you're ignorantly talking shit to can drive circles around you. You can drift almost any car dumbass, including my open diff, non-m, stock e36.

the guy who posted right above me, who you're STILL talking shit to?

he did it. so learn how to drive, and save your money. And stop talking big on the internet, no one believes you.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:14 AM   #51
Ritz
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
I just came back from Europe too. Do you know why that E30 won? BECAUSE HE COULD DRIVE!! I don't give a **** how "drift kitted out" any car is unless the driver is good at drifting. The drift king can drift a 60 HP shitbox better than most can drift 300 hp drift cars. Learn to drift first, then worry about everything else. Drifting is 90% driver, 10% car.
Do you not think I knew that? The only reason I was using D1GP cars as examples is because I havenít seen any online that are good examples like the ones I saw in person. If you didn't notice in my pervious posts i made no note of sticking Japanese or American parts in or on my car. I thought it would have been pretty clear I am competent about what is necessary to drift tune a car when I clearly asked about Spring Kits and spring rates. Now 641215 if you canít answer the questions, why waste webspace with bullshit when valuable information could have been there instead. Such as spring rates and the best suspension kit to buy. Did anyone mention strut braces to reduce body roll? Hrmmm I donít think so. Or how about if itís good to invest in a short shifter for faster shifting on a drift auto cross? Nope, canít say I see any posts mentioning a short shifter. Hrmm this is a bit odd, no one seems to know how to properly drift tune a BMW, I wounder why?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #52
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
ok, i'm going to rephrase what i just said:

YOU'RE A ****ING MORON.

you're talking to someone who takes a break from swapping motors in and out of cars by himself to make custom swaybars for his idiot friends, and even THEY can drive circles around you.

SHUT THE **** UP

and for the record,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
All you need is a stiff rear end, with a softer front end and you have a drift setup. Thicker rear swaybar, thinner or no front swaybar, little camber in the back with like -2ļ or more up front. Making an e36 tail happy is very easy.
i'm done highlighting shit. read before you flame

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black

Last edited by propr'one; 08-16-2006 at 03:19 AM.
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:15 AM   #53
Ritz
2nd Gear Member

All right, I gave credit to thinair for his post and you for highlighting it. Regardless if they he is swapping engines on his own, i don't see how that makes any of his posts relevant or useful in this thread. And if they did know as much as you said they were, and as mature knowledgeable and talented as you give them credit for, then their first post would have at least had something about a spring rate or a damper rate. you're speculating my "balls haven't dropped" but had any of the members balls dropped that you are so valiantly trying to protect, they would have had something valuable to post and not something immature and useless.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #54
jeffrie
Addict

My 318 can drift, still need more H.P. stock powed it's hard to start the drift, have to use all the "tricks" if I keep the 17's on for an all out day of drifting.
With winter's on make it alot easier + I havn't mastered the art yet and theirs only so many parking lots to learn with.
However on gravel it's just too much fun, but use to that already from my VW days.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 AM   #55
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Did anyone mention strut braces to reduce body roll? Hrmmm I donít think so.
Strut braces don't reduce body roll at all, the reduce chassis flex. Swaybars help reduce body roll, and I made note of those already.

Honeslty, it's more technique then the car. There are a few members on this board that could grab a 150hp stock e30 and drift the crap out of it.

I don't think a short shifter will impact drifting at all, it'll just feel nicer.

If I was to build an e36 drifter, from a technical standpoint, here is what I would do:

- rear subframe reinforcements (to keep the subframe from tearing away from the chassis under lateral loads)
- front subframe reinforcements (at the engine mount ears)
- urethane rear subframe mounts
- a 75% lock LSD (easier to hold a drift when the inside tire isn't burning away)
- solid diff bushings
- diff cooler
- front and rear swaybar reinforcements (they bend/crack under load with thick bars)
- solid rear swaybar links
- trailing arm main pivot mount reinforcements (the spot welded nuts have been known to crack or seperate from the chassis under high lateral loads)
- urethane or solid engine and tranny mounts (to keep the engine in the same location under quick direction changes, it will reduce the chances of the fan contacting the shroud, and keep the shift gates in a consistant location)
- if you're really serious, at the bare minimum, a welded-in half cage that ties to the subframe mounts to the strut towers, then use solid subframe mounts.
- a non-M Z3 steering rack for a quick steering ratio.
- a smaller but totally round steering wheel, with a spacer to bring the wheel closer to you.
- a fixed racing seat with high side bolsters and a properly mounted 4-6pt harness.
- oil ban baffles to keep oil near the oil pickup to prevent starvation under high lateral loads and quick direction changes
- a dual fuel pump setup to prevent the same as above

Shock, spring, swaybar and alignment settings are very personal settings, some people like them set one way and others will tell you the opposite. The general agreement is that a stiff rear and a slightly softer front will make any car very tail happy.

Power output is really up to you, while some are happy drifting around in 200hp cars, others want +600hp. I'd start with less power until you know what you're doing. Things can get pretty hairy in a hurry at speed.

For spare parts, you might want to keep around some spare rear trailing arms, axles, and obviously wheels/tires.

That said, a car with all these mods done won't make you a better drifter. Just like a 1000hp car won't make someone faster at the 1/4 mile if they have no idea how to launch, or an F1 car won't make you better at cornering if you have no idea what lines to take, etc, etc.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #56
Proliphic
Trying to stay on 4wheels

Send a message via MSN to Proliphic
Ritz do your self a favor and stop talking BS that u read on the uncle ben's website.. the bumpers wont help u drift, and if u want advice on things learn to listen more then talk..
Motronix CAI
(Magic Fairy Dust )
Strut Brace
APEX Sport Springs
18" M3 CSL look-a-like's
Clear Corners All Around
6000K HID's
Thinline Angel Eyes

Black/Silver 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
8000K HID's
Clear Signals
(More to come)
Proliphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #57
Axxe

Hmmm

Quote:
Do you not think I knew that? The only reason I was using D1GP cars as examples is because I havenít seen any online that are good examples like the ones I saw in person. If you didn't notice in my pervious posts i made no note of sticking Japanese or American parts in or on my car. I thought it would have been pretty clear I am competent about what is necessary to drift tune a car when I clearly asked about Spring Kits and spring rates. Now 641215 if you canít answer the questions, why waste webspace with bullshit when valuable information could have been there instead. Such as spring rates and the best suspension kit to buy. Did anyone mention strut braces to reduce body roll? Hrmmm I donít think so. Or how about if itís good to invest in a short shifter for faster shifting on a drift auto cross? Nope, canít say I see any posts mentioning a short shifter. Hrmm this is a bit odd, no one seems to know how to properly drift tune a BMW, I wounder why?

Quote:
Is it possible to drift tune an E36 to D-1GP standards? Could you keep it straight Euro Spec? Or will one have to mix and match with Japanese European and American parts?

Old 08-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #58
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Ritz where do you go for automotive engineering?? I always thought UofW was the only Univ. in ontario with auto engineering option.

Btw, if you just keep it real and dont act so cocky, people will probably help you, and you'll get informative posts like Nelsons (thinair), if you try and act like Mr. Smarty Pants when you clearly aren't very knowledgeable at all, and on top of that you have a bad attitude, you'll get flamed like you have been.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #59
Proliphic
Trying to stay on 4wheels

Send a message via MSN to Proliphic
On with the Flamage..
Motronix CAI
(Magic Fairy Dust )
Strut Brace
APEX Sport Springs
18" M3 CSL look-a-like's
Clear Corners All Around
6000K HID's
Thinline Angel Eyes

Black/Silver 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
8000K HID's
Clear Signals
(More to come)
Proliphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #60
Ritz
2nd Gear Member

Well the only reason I asked about the short shifter thinair, was because I wanted to know if it really makes that much of a difference when you're on a highly technical drift course epically when constantly shifting? Now how many mm should my rear sway bar be? Like is it worth getting the Eibach anti-roll kit with the 21mm rear bar for the 318is? or Should I just go for the M3 kit with the 24mm rear bar? Because I can't really see individual parts to purchase on the site, only kits. Steering Wheel, the Monte Carlo 320, only problem is the adapter is a bitch for extra cost. I mean that is the smallest wheel I think I could find from them. As for most of the other reinforcements, who would make ones that you would get the most bang for your buck? Tires and wheels aren’t a problem I have 12. One thing I forgot to ask about are break kits. Is it wise to invest in a Brembo big brake kit, and is it better to disconnect the abs?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: