Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

IE ss brake lines

Does anyone have there ss lines and if so how do you like them. Has anyone had any problems with them? Any other line suggestions?
oldskool3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Also where do people buy there pads from. I was thinking of going with Axxis ultimate pads. Any oher suggestions? Thanks again
Old 08-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

I am using the BMP ones my self,and for pads cannt remember what ones RUDYS dad put in...pm RUDY...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
static
6th Gear Member

i recommend SS lines with with some kind of protecting layer over SS braid

I have UUC ones and love 'em
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

For Pads I have Hawk HPS pads on which are awesome, and am hoping to go to SS lines soon too. Ive heard good things about the IE ones.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I have the UUC SS ones on my E30 M3........... they look pretty damn awesome. Seem to work just fine. I especially like the protective coating over the SS
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #7
static
6th Gear Member

^^ wise man

UUC ones are only slightly more expensive
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

thanks for the info guys ill check out the uuc lines.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:49 AM   #9
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I have IE's, they work. I'm crazy and replace stop parts every two years anyway, so longevity isn't too much of a concern. Remember that no matter what SS line, they still have a rubber line inside, which deteriorates. I wouldn't go more than 5 years on a set of lines.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
markh
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
Remember that no matter what SS line, they still have a rubber line inside, which deteriorates. I wouldn't go more than 5 years on a set of lines.
Stainless Steel Brake Lines use teflon hose, which does not expand under pressure as much as a rubber hose, hence the firmer brake pedal feel. However, Teflon hoses will cut easier than rubber and are normally protected by a stainless steel braid to prevent failure of the brake line due to damage from road debris. I tend to agree that this is a part that should be replaced periodically as part of your routine maintenance. I can tell you from first hand experience, brake failures are no fun......

For what it is worth, I have stainless steel brake lines and love them but keep an eye on the entire brake system.

Last edited by markh; 08-05-2006 at 03:33 AM.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:41 AM   #11
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

The SS is also so it doesn't expand, and it's a teflon LINED rubber hose if anything, teflon on it's own is just a coating to provide constant slippiness (technical term).

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:56 AM   #12
markh
1st Gear Newbie

Teflon is a material that can be used in many forms, including being made into a hose. Most, I will not say all, stainless steel brake lines are made the same fashion, a Teflon hose covered by a stainless steel braid to protect and support the hose. Some companies also use an external coating over the braid to provide further protection. Lets not even get started on what is needed for brake lines to be DOT approved....

IE Website Description:
Replace your tired old rubber hoses with teflon lined stainless steel braided hoses. A lot of brake problems like pulling to one side, sticking and draging calipers can be traced to hoses. The cost is actually about the same as new rubber lines and the SS lines will give a firmer peddle feel. These lines are not DOT approved.

UUC Motorwerks Website Description:
Inner TeflonŽ line is covered with woven stainless steel braid that will not expand under pressure. The advantages include better brake pedal feedback and a firmer pedal, along with superior brake modulation. Results will be immediate.

StopTech Website Description:
StopTech brake lines consist of a TeflonŽ inner line that is covered with a layer of stainless steel woven braid. The Teflon tube is very resistant to expansion under pressure and will not degrade from exposure to brake fluid. The stainless steel braid provides support for the Teflon and the weave is extremely durable against incidental impact and abrasion. StopTech brake lines feature a Clear Abrasion Resistant Cover for maximum protection against chaffing
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
The Sly
5th Gear Member

guys while we are on the subject of SS brake lines ..A stupid question for ya.

6 lines comes in the package and i know of 4 where they go but what about the other 2??

Thanks

Sly
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
id guess if theres a set of 6 then 4 are for the two rubber brake hoses in the rear on each side and the other 2 lines are for the front. did your kit not include a line for the clutch slave cyl?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #15
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

there are two additional hoses that go from the bottom of your car onto the rear sub-frame.

They are usually a bitch to replace.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: