Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-17-2002, 03:54 PM   #1
TOLOFOU
1st Gear Newbie

Doing a winter slam

This winter IM doing the unthinkable.. I am taking out the H&R race springs and the Koni adjustable shocks along with a few extra goodies .. To make way for a full air ride suspension..I want to slam the car way past the limits and raise her for normal drive..

If anyone has info on this and can help..Please let me know since this wll be the first E30 Ive ever seen with the Air ride suspension..

Reason I want this is I can do side to side-pancake slam-tire lift.

Rob
Old 11-17-2002, 04:00 PM   #2
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

wont this really affect handling?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 04:24 PM   #3
TOLOFOU
1st Gear Newbie

Accually I will be able to tune the performance from inside the car instead of going with what have installed.. I can make the ride stiff to soft in seconds in four points in the ride..I mostly show the car but for perfmance. The sensous say that most either go with air/hydo or coilover

Rob
Old 11-17-2002, 04:28 PM   #4
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

we are talkin bout hyrdraulics right? like you can pop 1 end up and slam the other?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
hes talking airbags jon

Kinda like dros put no pumps dumps or hydrulic fluid

Compressor, Bags, some sylinoids

Are you going to be using air struts?
If you don't know what air struts are Ill be sure to giveu some sites when I get back to my moms house

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 04:34 PM   #6
TOLOFOU
1st Gear Newbie

Yes its like hydrolics but its air ran by compressers. Not a real fan of the hydrolics but have not ruled them totally out..

Same idea but different..
Old 11-17-2002, 04:36 PM   #7
TOLOFOU
1st Gear Newbie

I think air strut are my only choice but dont think I can get a full down to the frame lowwer..I like the bags but the struts are more durable
Old 11-17-2002, 04:46 PM   #8
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
If your gonna use just bags over air strucs I belive you will have to fab up brackets and so forth

Pic of bags and brackets on an s-10, thats more to show jon than you

and if you are gonna go for bags I say go all the way and make sure that bad boy lays flat

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:14 PM   #9
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Air bags are meant for California style lowriders. The air bags replace the spring which is the main support of your car.

1. Under normal driving the bag (wich replaces your spring) is fully inflated (stiff).

2. When it is fully lowered (totaly soft) there is no ride at all.

3. Now if you want a lowerd car look while driving your car will be all over the place due to the fact that the bag is very soft and will wobble! Why? There is no support in the bag. Air struts do because they have a shaft in the middle and I still wouldn't drive with them lowered.

So there is no in between setting if you think about it.

Dave
Old 11-17-2002, 07:34 PM   #10
TOLOFOU
1st Gear Newbie

Sure there is a between setting..Sure you can ride fully loaded or at half poundage but being at a full dropp would be scraping ground..

I see this setup on many rides and even on very dropped euro cars..

Why is this, if its not a pros choice?

I may do the cylinders instead of the bags but I want to take my car to a lowweing shop and ask first..

Rob
Old 11-18-2002, 01:19 AM   #11
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

I didn't say that you couldn't drive with it fully inflated. It is jut that I have been told that there is no "in between" setting for daily driving.

I have a '91 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon as a long term project. I wanted the air bag system to do everything (ie: lowered ride hight, frame on the ground, and a high setting for those big speed bumps) but at the time it wasn't possible. Has things changed with air bag technology that much? I hope not because I would sound like an idiot. LOL!

I actually would like to see your car with an air bag kit because it would definatly be unique! I wouldn't be able to use bags because i'm going for the track/show/street look!

Dave

P.S.: Don't be afraid of the hardcore BMW enthusiasts. They are just afraid of change (and image too!).
Old 11-18-2002, 02:15 AM   #12
gsbadbmr
4th Gear Member

Re: Winter Slam

Do It! My friend installed the airbag suspension on his acura, and the ride isn't bad at all. He also drives it really slammed. Here's a pic of the "ride height" he used for every day driving.

***sorry, it's not a bimmer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00972.jpg (60.6 KB, 164 views)
gsbadbmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:18 AM   #13
gsbadbmr
4th Gear Member

Here's another "friend" with airbag suspension
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sha2.jpg (55.5 KB, 157 views)
Old 11-18-2002, 08:39 AM   #14
TOLOFOU
1st Gear Newbie

Times are always changing and iM sure that my M3 will do the slam like these pics.. looks too good not to try..

Rob
Old 11-18-2002, 12:26 PM   #15
gsbadbmr
4th Gear Member

I Agree %100. Your car will look CRAZY dropped another 3-4 inches. Just think, you pull into somewhere to park your car, hit the button, and your car sinks to the ground, it's WICKED!

Also, if anyone wants to try and steal your car, they are going to have a MUCH harder time due to the fact that you are sitting too low! Good luck!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jun29_35.jpg (89.2 KB, 139 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: