Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-25-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Question on E36 Muffler's...

Okay, I'm just curious right now, but is the E36 M3 muffler a direct bolt on onto the E36 3 series?

I have a 328i, and well I just want to know if it is a direct bolt on.

Any welding or grinding required?

If I want to install the OEM 328i exhaust back on after having the m3 muffler on it, it will bolt right back on right?

Also, I noticed that the E36 328i's have a baffle plate on the right side of the exhaust tip. Or i think it was on the left. There's also a vaccum tube on top of it as well. If i put a M3 muffler on it, what am I suppose to do with the vaccum tube?
Old 01-25-2002, 07:34 PM   #2
azn330i
2nd Gear Member

sorry i don't know the answer to ur question..........but i wannna ask y do u want an M3 muffler??

y not just get an AA, Dinan, or Supersprint exhaust.......??

azn330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 08:27 PM   #3
M52_Alpina
3rd Gear Member

i used to have a M3 exhaust before i switched to Tri flo.. yes, it is a direct bolt on, all you have to do is take off 4 screws and 2 muffler hangers and the whole thing drops.. i installed it myself so i know what i am talking about.. about the vaccum tube, just plugged it with a screw or tape or whatever that fits and ensures that the tube doesn't leak... So, Are you planning to get a M3 exhaust for your car??
M52_Alpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 11:35 PM   #4
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
well

To answer your question azn330i,

my reason? hmm I expect big ass gains LOL j/j. okay i'm serious now. Anyways, knowing that there's a chance i may have to return the car, I thought of spending approx $0-250max on a used E36 M3 muffler and putting it onto my car. why? Well I just like the sound they make in comparison to my current OEM exhaust. now why don't i just buy an AA, triflow, etc? Because I think there's no point for me to spend $600-1000+ on a exhaust knowing that I will be returning the car (quite possibly late august 2002 if we decide to lease another car)

I don't expect gains, I'm just looking for the deeper sound and I like how the stock m3 exhausts sound. sounds smoother than what i have. EVen your 330i's exhaust sounds much nicer in comparison to the 320, 323, 325, 328's E46 exhaust.

"M52_Alpina" - do you know anyone on Toronto selling their E36 M3 muffler's? If so can you PM me or leave a shout on this thread? thanks!
Old 01-26-2002, 12:14 AM   #5
M52_Alpina
3rd Gear Member

i think Alex@teutonic.ca still selling his M3 exhaust... try emailing him.. try asking Frank@teutonic.ca as well, i think he just purchased an e36 M3, i think he may be interested in getting some cash for his exhaust... but seriously, i would highly recommend that you buy an aftermarket exhaust instead.. M3 exhaust are extremely heavy, the gain that you get from the exhaust will be minimal.. second, it is not loud at all, you can barely hear the exhaust at around 2-3000rpm.. but it does looks great on non_m e36s.. anyways, if you are not interested in reducing weight (your car, not you and deep throaty exhaust notes, M3 exhaust would the best choice.. hope thats helps and let me know if you have any questions
M52_Alpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 12:04 AM   #6
rico328i
5th Gear Member

exhaust

Hey 328DTM,

There is a butterfly baffle/valve on the passenger side exhaust tip. If you ever notice. Under idle or mild driving conditions. Exhaust only comes out of the left/driver side tip. Under harder throttle repsonses, it opens up the valve. Has something to do with back-pressure, low-end torque and simply sound reduction. You're right about the sound of the E36's. They have a more sporty sound compared to the newer E46's. I've driven a lot of them.

I'm thinking of eventually swapping mine for an M3 as well. But I don't expect any power gains. At least not until other things are changed. In fact, I've read many reports that you may actually lose some low end power with that swap. If it's the only thing you do.

Rico
328i
bone-stock (for now)
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: