Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
CleanE30
4th Gear Member

S50 swap Exhaust question

I am getting the swap done as we speak at Bimmersport however I am not sure what are my options for the exhaust. I was thinking that a full custom SS exhaust would probably be the best way to go, however if there is any other options let me know. Recommendations for good exhaust shops are also welcome.
CleanE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

go full CUSTOM exhaust with header, so you can get as much out it as you can, WHY even ask this..........
Old 07-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Use the OBDII manifolds,downpipes,cats etc from a 96-99 M3. Have custom pipes bent from the cat section to your muffler.

ONLY good way to do it IMO. This is the way I've done it many times.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanE30
I am getting the swap done as we speak at Bimmersport however I am not sure what are my options for the exhaust.
if it's your silver 318is with a hole instead of motor - i've seen it yesterday. In fact i had time to look it over and might have a pointer or two for you. (i completed my S50E30 conversion in April)

First off, don't settle for e21 booster (Charlie told me you are still looking for pan and booster). e21 booster is not enough for some people (they can't lock the brakes no matter how hard they push the pedal) Go for the ix one!

Second, Charlie told me you wanna keep the AC - bad idea. Do you have any idea about how much heavier S50 is compared to M42? how about 100lb right on the nose. If you want your car to handle: ditch the AC and buy a fiberglass hood (pm me)

Third: get an E36 steering rack in good condition or even better Z3 one (quicker steering ratio) - your old steering rack looks like the hardlines are going to bite the dust pretty soon. Besides, once the motor is in it will be VERY hard to change a rack, either you will have to pull motor out again or drop the front subframe.

Make sure your M42 cooling system can deal with S50 heat. I heard people complaining about M42 small rad not being enough after they convert to S50.

Please, take care of all rust in your engine bay before the shit goes in. You don't want it rusting away afterwards after dumping so much money in the car. (i saw a lot of bubbles on the body too, get some por-15 in silver and fix all those yourself)

If you want a good SS custom exhaust work, prepare to spend $1200++ easily. I can maybe sell you my setup if you can wait (beautiful mandrel bent SS custom work)

btw, nice wheels

Good luck
Alex

Last edited by static; 07-22-2006 at 12:23 PM.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by static
fiberglass hood (pm me)

Third: get an E36 steering rack ........ Besides, once the motor is in it will be VERY hard to change a rack, either you will have to pull motor out again or drop the front subframe.
Our racks are one of the easiest jobs to change! lol Pull the motor? You shouldn't be giving people this kind of advice, esp since you do not know whats involved.

Have you seen cars where the steering rack is between the motor and firewall, those are hard to do. Ours are right underneat and easy to get too.

You have the theory down.......but some of your practicle thinking needs work and the only way to fix that is you get experience actually working on a car.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 07-22-2006 at 12:27 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

The wheels are nice, but buy real tires! The 195/45/16 and 215/40/16 look unhappy.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by static
Second, Charlie told me you wanna keep the AC - bad idea. Do you have any idea about how much heavier S50 is compared to M42? how about 100lb right on the nose. If you want your car to handle: ditch the AC and buy a fiberglass hood (pm me)
Your kidding right?

100lbs isn't that much... and while an enthusiastic driver MIGHT feel the difference, it's not going to be as bad as you make it seem. Your basically saying the car will become a stone afterwards, but that's just not true.

If he wants to keep the AC, chances are it's not a track car.

And it's only 40 lbs hevier then an M20, and an E30 with an M20 handles just fine. On the street it'll be more then enough handling then anyone should ever push it without going to the track.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
CleanE30
4th Gear Member

Static - thanks for the good advice on the booster and the steering rack. I will definitively consider both.

In regards to the radiator I will be using the E36 unit so shouldn't be a problem.

The rust... well there really isn't much on the outside, that I can remember or noticed. I haven't seen the car without the engine yet so I will definitively try to take care of any rust issues.

As to the A/C it is definitively staying... track or not.

Yes, I know the exhaust will be pricey, but I think it's better to spend the money now then every 2 years for a fixer upper. Any good shop recommendations?

Mystical - what exactly do you mean "real tires" and "unhappy"???

Last edited by CleanE30; 07-22-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Last S52 swapped e30 I performed was a otherwise stock car, and did 0-60 in 5.2 seconds with A/C blowing at a nice 38F.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:24 AM   #10
dgmorr
4th Gear Member

How much does a S50 swap usually cost on average?
dgmorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
static
6th Gear Member

^ $6K easily, more to do it "right"
of course depends on how lucky you get with the used parts.

Trevor: i know you have stock E30 hands-on knowledge, but have you dealt with M50/S50 swapped ones?
Remember i showed you how low the oilpan sits on mine? I heard from multiple people on r3vlimited that on swapped e30's it's impossible to swap a rack without moving engine, or subframe. Granted, i have never tried it myself, but neither have you on a swapped e30 (i presume). I just give the info at hand, besides - it's easier to do the rack when everything is out anyways

CleanE30: i have seen numerous starting rustbubbles. How long do you plan on keeping the car? you should fix them all up if you plan to keep the car for long. Rust tends to spread fast, especially if you plan to drive in winter (even occasionaly)
Also, take my word, and examine the whole fuel system at the back (tank, lines...) again it's much easier to do when everything is out. I am dealing with this sht right now.

Notorious: you're right, i might have exaggerated the weight thing. For a spirited daily it should be good enough.

Alex

Last edited by static; 07-23-2006 at 11:22 AM.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
CleanE30
4th Gear Member

Jordan - good to hear that, I am getting very excited about the car... can't wait.

dgmorr - talk to Bruce (TEMP here on max) he can help you with whatever you need. Very good guy to work with and very flexible.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanE30
Jordan - good to hear that, I am getting very excited about the car... can't wait.
Keep in mind you are swapping a S50 in. My 2.8L m20 powered e30 outran a S50 powered e30 M3. Not by much, talking walking away less then a car length, but just the same...

OBDI S52 has alot more hp/tq and a fatter power band then a S50.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
CleanE30
4th Gear Member

Not after I supercharge it...

Just joking... for now it will be stock.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

So does anyone have any good exhaust shop recomendations that can do mendral piping??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Keep in mind you are swapping a S50 in. My 2.8L m20 powered e30 outran a S50 powered e30 M3. Not by much, talking walking away less then a car length, but just the same...

OBDI S52 has alot more hp/tq and a fatter power band then a S50.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #15
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
^^^what he said.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: