Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member

E36 m3 GTR HELP NEEDED

ok guys i have been looking around the internet but i havent found the answers to certain questions, i was hoping that some one from here can help me.

1. i have an e36 which is gonna be fitted with an e46 m3 engine for now and i need to know whether i can use the front suspension from an e46 m3 and put it on the e36. i have heard some one do it but he took it off as it was rubbing his fenders. au contraire i have a wide body gtr package which should allow it to fit and then i can order the custom rims accordingly so it doesnt look like a civic on steroids.

2. is there a way to put in the rear diff from an e46 into an e36, i know that the control arms can be changed in the back but i dont know how hard it is gonna be to put the actual diff in there. oh and i am not worried about the tires sticking out as i have the rear fenders extended as well.
gtrm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

1. why would you want the e46 front suspension? They are nearly identical. Seems like alot of needless work.

2. The Euro M3 3.2 diff is the same as the e46 diff, but in an e36 carrier. You can put the e46 diff in, anythign is possible, but you might need to fabricate a new carrier.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
SickFinga

1. There is no need for e46 m3 suspension, just get some coilovers + big break kit.
2. Again, no need for E46 M3 diff. Just get custom made diff from diffsonline, and to beef it up a bit, get AA diff bracket and m3 reinforment kit for the subframe moutning points.

And you are done.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Good luck with the transplant. Let me know how it goes.

Get TC Kline suspnesion, probably one of the best setups you can get and as mentioned go for a BBK kit if you need it. Or a cheaper solution would be to get e36 m3 spindles and callipers. With a nice set of pads/rotors it will be more than you will need.

T.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Guys

a lot of people are asking why i want to put an e46 suspension on the e36. well i am planning to get hre wheels which are gonna be 19x10 or 11 in the front and 19x13 in the back as i dont want to put the spacers which are needed because of the skirt package.

if i was to put an e36 front suspension then i would have to get really wider rims in the front which would rub heavily against the front fenders. i f i was to put in the e 46 suspension it sits a little wider and hence smaller rims and they wont rub plus it is a newer suspension with usually less kms on it.

some one pointed out that the front suspension is nearly identical.. can u plz tell me what parts exactly can be bolted on from the front suspension including the crossmember or the front subframe.

also if i get the rear subframe froma euro m3 would i be able to bolt on the e46 m3 diff directly.

this is what i am doing for the time being as i havent figured out a setup yet for the engine and tranny. i have explored quite a few options like a v8 ls1 transplant and the supra tt engine but i wanted to keep it bmw more than anything else.

i have been to turkey and visited Mr Mert at Da Motorsport in the quest for the fastest bmw engine but did not buy that. then i hav contacted Vidar Strand Motors and he recommends the e34 m5 motor.. i have yet to go there and meet him but in either case i will keep u posted as to what is the best bmw engine to be used for a boosted setup.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist

If you want to stay BMW and like the title suggests, want the closest thing to an M3 GTR, put in an S62. The GTR has a V8.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member

s62

i have thought about the s62 engine but the problem with that is that wont just fit in with the m5 tranny, the bel is just too big so the fire wall has to be modified and cut and also i will not be able to keep the brake booster if i want the other goodies like the abs and stuff. plus the steering shaft has to be modified as well. there is more loss than gain with 400 hp motor.

also i would have to leave it stock as adding boost would be quite hard considering the tight spacing, i could just as easily get the power from the euro e36 engine with little boost or just engine work.

and cant use the euro engine cuz of the high octance that it needs to run it as it is hard to find it here in canada.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:59 AM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
The S50B32 requires higher than 94 octane gas?

on account of DA motorsports can get 1000HP out of the car with 96, and its only running 10.5 compression stock, i think 94 should be ok without pinging

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:37 AM   #9
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

from what ive heard i think i know whos posting....... wont say nothing either
btw is this car a 4 door ??
Old 07-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #10
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one
The S50B32 requires higher than 94 octane gas?

on account of DA motorsports can get 1000HP out of the car with 96, and its only running 10.5 compression stock, i think 94 should be ok without pinging
as i mentioned earlier i have gone there and checked it out my self there is a lot of turbo lag and it is not 1000 hp. neither does he have a dyno to prove it.

he uses 96 octane with 8.5:1 compression.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_powered
from what ive heard i think i know whos posting....... wont say nothing either
btw is this car a 4 door ??
check your PM

it is a 2 door
Old 07-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrm3
a lot of people are asking why i want to put an e46 suspension on the e36. well i am planning to get hre wheels which are gonna be 19x10 or 11 in the front and 19x13 in the back as i dont want to put the spacers which are needed because of the skirt package.
If you are ordering HRE's just tell them what backspacing you'll need... or hire someone that knows what they are doing to measure for you.

Custom wheels can be made with any offset, thus eliminating the need for spacers. This is the point of custom made wheels.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
yes obviously the DA kit uses lower compression, i mean a stock motor should run fine on 91, let alone 94

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

What's the problem with spacers? I run 15mm spacers on the front on the race car.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
First off, don't reference any of DA Motorsports number, they're full of s#it.

The problem with the S62 fitting into an e36 isn't the transmission, it's the following:
-steering column contacting the driver side head/exhaust
-the exhaust manifolds contacting the strut towers
-custom oil pan
-custom subframe/engine mounts

No BMW made e36 had a V8 in it (Hartge was the most notable tuner to do it)
The V8 GTR was an e46 chassis.

If you want a big case (Type 220) diff, you can use the e36 Evo M3 rear subframe and diff. Although, that said many people running 500hp+ are still using the stock or stock cased Type 188 diff, just with rebuilt LSD units.

And lastly, don't confuse european octane ratings with north american octane rating.

P.S. post in the correct forum.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: