Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
champ0202
2nd Gear Member

hazards/doorlock not working

First my driver side heated seat stoped working, now my hazards will not go on and I can not lock my doors from the inside (the button beside the hazard button) what going on can anyone help?
champ0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear buddy.

Did you buy the car recently? If you did, did you verify any carfax reports etc. I would really suck if this car had some flood damage.

Does the remote open all the doors when pushed twice. If that is the case, it could be the switches.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
cisco911
6th Gear Member

E46s have alot of problems with the hazard door lock unit. I have replaced many at my dad's shop. its not an expensive piece and it usually causes the hazards/signals and door locks to not work properly. This happens alot because they are close to the cupholder so people spill stuff on that area and the water gets into the circuit and burns it out. Just go to BMW and buy one...it pops out/in easily. Your heated seat is the element inside the seat that is most likely gone. Do the lights on the switch come on???
Old 07-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
champ0202
2nd Gear Member

thankyou

The lights on the switch do not come on. cisco do you have any idea about the seat heater not working the light comes on but then goes off (driver side)

this web site is great thanks for the help.

Last edited by champ0202; 07-07-2006 at 07:38 AM.
champ0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Yeah, its the element inside the seat. This is alittle bit more of an expensive fix. Basically, the seat has to be taken apart(the leather has to be removed) and the heater pad replaced. It is definately something I would not recommend you do yourself, unless you know an upholstery guy that can remove and install the leather for you. If that is the case, you can buy the part, remove the seat, have the leather removed, replace the sensor, have leather reinstalled and put the seat back.

Ooh, also it could be a broken wire under the seat, but I don't think the light would come on at all if this was the case, but check just to make sure.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Gilgorm
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0202
First my driver side heated seat stoped working, now my hazards will not go on and I can not lock my doors from the inside (the button beside the hazard button) what going on can anyone help?
With regards to your heated seat issue it is probable that the seat heater wires have separated. If the car is still under warranty have the seat heater pad replaced. If not, and you're on your own I agree with cisco and suggest you take it to an auto upholstery guy. I had this happen on a MB under warranty and they sublet the job to Speedway Upholstery Limited in Concord. I watched while he removed the seat and bottom leather, replaced the heater pad and reassembled the whole thing. He did an incredible job.
A helpful hint for when you get it repaired: Don't kneel on the seats since the point pressure from your knee will stretch and possibly snap the heater wires.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
FastM3
is dreaming of ///M's

Not sure if you got this fixed yet or not, but I have a used hazard/lock button switch if you need to change yours.
FastM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:15 AM   #8
rudetrini
2nd Gear Member

just pop out the hazard/lock switch and use some plastic epoxy to stick the bottom back together...same thing happened to me. It was a easy fix and it won't break again.
rudetrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudetrini
just pop out the hazard/lock switch and use some plastic epoxy to stick the bottom back together...same thing happened to me. It was a easy fix and it won't break again.
For what the switch costs though you might as well just get a new one. Besides...i think its not just the bottom that is broken, i think the circuit inside is gone cuz his doorlocks and signals were acting funny.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: