Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > Looking for
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-13-2002, 01:16 AM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
WTB: used or new E36 control arms or busings

I need to replace my driver side control arm bushings. If you have a used control arm and want to sell let me know, thanks

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 03:05 AM   #2
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Huh?

Bryan, the bushings are about 40bucks brand new from the dealer. Why on earth do you need used control arm/bushings?
BTW once you take the bushings out of the brackets you won't be able to reuse them, also they should be replaced in pairs.

Serge

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:39 AM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Huh?

Bryan, the bushings are about 40bucks brand new from the dealer. Why on earth do you need used control arm/bushings?
BTW once you take the bushings out of the brackets you won't be able to reuse them, also they should be replaced in pairs.

Serge
Serge,

Charlie has informed me it might actually be cheaper to get a used control arm (complete w/ all the bushings) and just swap it that way. The labour would costs more if I simply changed the bushings.

Unless you can do it for me

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:57 AM   #4
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

This doesn't make sense since the bushings can be changed without taking the arms off. You just need a special tool to put the new bushings onto the arms. I believe Charlie has it for sure.
With the tool, and on a hoist, it takes about an hour to change the bushings.

Serge

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica

Serge,

Charlie has informed me it might actually be cheaper to get a used control arm (complete w/ all the bushings) and just swap it that way. The labour would costs more if I simply changed the bushings.

Unless you can do it for me

Bryan

Old 11-13-2002, 02:15 PM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
This doesn't make sense since the bushings can be changed without taking the arms off. You just need a special tool to put the new bushings onto the arms. I believe Charlie has it for sure.
With the tool, and on a hoist, it takes about an hour to change the bushings.

Serge

Serge,

Actually the middle bushing and inner bushing of the control arm on the inside has to be change on the driver side. So I think removal of the control arm is necessary correct? Are all 3 bushings on the control arm $40 each? I'm getting a strange noise when I corner hard turning right only, and quite a bit of understeer, do you think it could be cased by the worn busings on the control arm?

Thanks!

Bryan

Old 11-13-2002, 02:24 PM   #6
hawai-Ian
3rd Gear Member

Last time I had my bushing replaced, my ex-mech (haha) had a BIATCH of a time removin just the bushing so he had to remove the control arm to get to that bushy thingy.
Cost me 2 hrs labour.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:06 PM   #7
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Okie...Stop right there!

Terminology lesson:

Controls arms have 3 points of attachment to the car.

1) Outer ball joint
2) Inner ball joint
3) Control Arm bushing

So 2 arms have: 4 ball joints and 2 bushings.

Inner ball joints are not replacable and have to be replaced with the arms.

What kind of sound are you experiencing? Clicking noise when turning right or left?

Serge

Quote:

Serge,

Actually the middle bushing and inner bushing of the control arm on the inside has to be change on the driver side. So I think removal of the control arm is necessary correct? Are all 3 bushings on the control arm $40 each? I'm getting a strange noise when I corner hard turning right only, and quite a bit of understeer, do you think it could be cased by the worn busings on the control arm?

Thanks!

Bryan

Old 11-13-2002, 03:07 PM   #8
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Removing the bushings is actually pretty easy. All you need is a 3 leg puller. Putting them back on is another story. You need a special too for that.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by hawai-Ian
Last time I had my bushing replaced, my ex-mech (haha) had a BIATCH of a time removin just the bushing so he had to remove the control arm to get to that bushy thingy.
Cost me 2 hrs labour.

Old 11-13-2002, 05:41 PM   #9
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Okie...Stop right there!

Terminology lesson:

Controls arms have 3 points of attachment to the car.

1) Outer ball joint
2) Inner ball joint
3) Control Arm bushing

So 2 arms have: 4 ball joints and 2 bushings.

Inner ball joints are not replacable and have to be replaced with the arms.

What kind of sound are you experiencing? Clicking noise when turning right or left?

Serge

I noticed a plastic seal or rubber bushing around the inner ball joint. All the ball joints have been recently replaced so I'm positive it's not that. Any idea what I'm talking about? I'll try to find pictures if I can. The rubber seal around the ball joint appears to be worn. Charlie said it had to be replaced. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bryan

Old 11-14-2002, 02:13 AM   #10
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Okie,

Looks like you are talking about a balljoint rubber boot( I think that's how it's called)

Which one is worn, the outer or the inner? How worn is it?

Serge

Quote:

I noticed a plastic seal or rubber bushing around the inner ball joint. All the ball joints have been recently replaced so I'm positive it's not that. Any idea what I'm talking about? I'll try to find pictures if I can. The rubber seal around the ball joint appears to be worn. Charlie said it had to be replaced. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bryan

Old 11-14-2002, 01:31 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Okie,

Looks like you are talking about a balljoint rubber boot( I think that's how it's called)

Which one is worn, the outer or the inner? How worn is it?

Serge

It's the inner rubber boot then, the one closer to the rear end of the car. Anyways, how bad is it? Compared to the passenger side one which looks next to perfect condition, the driver side one looks like someone took a rusty knife and stabbed the sh*t out of it.. hahah. Another words, pretty bad.

Bryan

Old 11-14-2002, 03:18 PM   #12
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Hmm...Sounds like you are up for replacing both of the arms.

Unless you can find just the boot somewhere, then you could probably change just the rubber priece. Getting a used control arm would be a pain as well, since you are going to end up replacing the bushing.

Serge

Quote:

It's the inner rubber boot then, the one closer to the rear end of the car. Anyways, how bad is it? Compared to the passenger side one which looks next to perfect condition, the driver side one looks like someone took a rusty knife and stabbed the sh*t out of it.. hahah. Another words, pretty bad.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suspension_e30_alumcarm_lg.jpg (46.8 KB, 35 views)

Old 11-14-2002, 09:55 PM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Hmm...Sounds like you are up for replacing both of the arms.

Unless you can find just the boot somewhere, then you could probably change just the rubber priece. Getting a used control arm would be a pain as well, since you are going to end up replacing the bushing.

Serge

I don't suppose they sell just the boots?

I've seen TMS sell something called "ball joint dust boot" and it comes in urethane, is this what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 11-14-2002, 11:42 PM   #14
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Sounds like it.

Quote:

I don't suppose they sell just the boots?

I've seen TMS sell something called "ball joint dust boot" and it comes in urethane, is this what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Bryan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: