Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-11-2002, 02:50 PM   #16
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
Well I got the low down from the house of kolor...I would be using kameleon pearl it doesn't have any where near the dramatic colour change as the original base coat paint. more of a hue than a complete change.I am going this way due to how hard it is to use the metal flake. and the high cost of the base coat.As some of you guys said 1500 and a perfect body. I can use my exsisting black as a base coat so All I need to buy is the pearl. at 160 cdn a quart. So..I will have a pricelist this afternoon.
Also I can't go with a metallic pearl since I need to paint the car white... I would have to strip the car completly...thanks for all the insight.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:02 PM   #17
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Jase,

A) I did a poll before I painted my car. Why? Because other people's opinion actually matters to me (positive or negative).
B) If you are going to post it then expect someones opinion, postive or negative.
C) Would you rather people lie to you and say it is awesome when they think it is garbage?
D) I have never seen Jeremy's car in person.
E) Watch who I call queer? Did I mention you directly? No.

Thank you,
Dave
Old 11-11-2002, 05:30 PM   #18
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
D) I have never seen Jeremy's car in person.
your missing one sick ride then man!

Jase, why not get something not so obvious but sorta like that kameleon paint like dark blue to black?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:46 PM   #19
Jase
twisted beyond reason

well. I see you think the idea of a colour changing paint is stupid but.
Reducing what i may like to childish name calling is not exactly an opinion it is name calling isn't it.I have no problem with opinions, just dumb name calling.
It may not be exactly what I end up getting but I always wanted a pearl paint job. I was more interested in what the drawbacks were not if you thought it looked "gay". but regardless, I want a nice ride and not be laughed at, so it may be a bit too much to have a complete colour change paint. Having a silver to blue paint is what I was after but they don't make it. So I am forced to choose another paint scheme.As I am not about to spent 1500 on a base coat alone to get that colour.
Other than how it looks , quailty of body and painter seem to be the biggest problem. I have just about completely stripped my ride to get ready for paint. Needless to say I am going to paint it.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:04 PM   #20
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Jase,

Well i'm sorry if you can't accept that my opinion my be a little harsh but thats how much I feel about those colour changing paints! You stated that you want a nice ride...well E30's don't look too great with those paints/pearls (In my honest opinion). Pearls done in a tastefull manner and on an appropriate car can be very nice but you are talking big bucks as well due to the fact it is very hard to apply. Also when you get a scratch or a fender bender you pretty much have to repearl the WHOLE car.

Also to colour change your car should add about $1000 to any quote for a respray. So adding a good pearl job will cost you about as much as a colour change.

Dave
Old 11-11-2002, 11:41 PM   #21
Jase
twisted beyond reason

NO harm no foul...Opinions are ..well..what they are. Btw the last of the post was what I was after the drawbacks...Thank you
jase
Old 11-11-2002, 11:51 PM   #22
Jase
twisted beyond reason

I failed to mention the body guy I know came to look at the car. He asked me why I was changing it as well. I have only a acrylic enamel paint job on the car it won't last. So unless you guys know how I can save the paint on my car less not driving it i have to repaint it with base clear. Even if it is black again. Plus I willhave bought a body kit by Jan and will need to paint it too.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:22 AM   #23
BLACKKNIGHT
2nd Gear Member

I have a black e30 with the metal flake in it .
With no sun,the car looks black,but when the sun hits it it looks pretty wild...Its alot of work ,(and will cost about 6000)but i did it myself.Im gonna do it again when I get my new skirts. Hopefully this time It will look alot better.I f#%@ed up the first time..
If I only knew how to post the damn pics Id show you what it looks like. and if you have any Q's about the flake, I could probably help ya
BLACKKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:29 AM   #24
Jase
twisted beyond reason

if you are wondering how to post a pic. save it as a jpeg, use the browse button near the bottom just below where you see show sig check box..If you have any other problems email gamite or empowered.I think there is a faq section on posting pics
Old 11-12-2002, 01:20 AM   #25
M3driver
2nd Gear Member

I can honestly say I've never seen a BMW that looked good with color changing paint, and all of the pearl I have seen besides some of the factory colors looked bad too.

In my opinion, the E30 is too boxy too look good with that type of a color scheme. Those colors look best on curvy cars that really accent the change. On E30's, it will look like the hood is red and the fenders are purple, and the doors are blue. It just isn't right.

If you had something else, I'd say go for it, I think the paint is cool, but on an e30?

But that's my honest opinion, and I don't mean to flame.

Not to mention the cost of it, you could buy your whole bodykit for the extra price of adding the color change.

1989 M3 2.5 - 265 hp
1991 318iS - gots rims
M3driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:24 PM   #26
Slowered318