Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Question General rims questions

Ok so in another thread I made, I found out that even after you put on bigger rims, the overall diameter of the wheel stays the same b/c of smaller tires.

Now I'm wondering, how do the various rim widths come into play? What's the stock, and should I or should I not venture away from that?

The new tires I'd have to get, would still be able to be all year tires right?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
the size in "general" will be the same, but with lower profile wider tires, you will increase how much rubber is actually contacting the road, and with low pro tires, you alos get LESS tire flex, so again you increase the tire contact patch around corners.

having said this, the more contact, the better the grip, the better the overall handling. Most people say it is the best handling upgrade you can do to a car, and i agree, and when applied with other suspension mods, you can have one amazing road gripping car.

SO if your really into handling or just want to feel more confident then it is worth it, and yes you can get all year tires, but for the better handling its best to get performance tires, and keep the old rims, put snow tires on them and use them during the snowy months... if you see snow that is.

and on a side note, good looking rims just look so much better, so if your vain why not use it to performance abilities as well

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
The width of the rim you can install depends on its offset.

In general, the offset of the rim is where the rim bolts up to the wheel hub. Are the holes to bolt up on the face of the rim, or deeper in the middle of the rim? If it's in the middle of the rim, then the wheels are pushed outwards for a wider stance.

So what rim width you can fit, depends highly on the offset.

To make things more complicated again, you have suspension upgrades. Most aftermarket struts/shocks are thicker than stock, and it's possible for the front wheels to touch the struts when the wheels are turned at lock if the wheels are too thick. Then you can consider purchasing wheel spacers to push the wheels out further again.

It's also possible for your rear rims to rub against your fender or fender lining if the car is too low. Sometimes 'rolling' the fenders out wider will help accomidate the wheels, sometimes you have to have to fiddling with camber, fender flares, or widebody kits.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
325isRED
6th Gear Member

is it true that z4 or z3 rims fit on an e36?

'92 325is 5sp
325isRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
i think they do, but the offset might be screwy. I know the rears of mz3's are too wide

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

But if I got with some rims that have stock offset and width, I shouldn't have "touching" problems if I don't lower right?

Do people try to go as wide as possible for better handling?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 06-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool
But if I got with some rims that have stock offset and width, I shouldn't have "touching" problems if I don't lower right?

Do people try to go as wide as possible for better handling?

some go for wider for better handling, if you ever notice drag race cars, (being rear wheel or front, which ever is pushing or pulling the car) the tires are extremely wide. But clearence is always an issue cept for them cuz they only go strait.

While other people just go real wide cuz they think they are cool and just go with the in fad.

if you want better handling, wider with low profiles (low side walls) is what you should look into. It does make a huge difference, specialy if you get the right kind of tires.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner_dee
some go for wider for better handling, if you ever notice drag race cars, (being rear wheel or front, which ever is pushing or pulling the car) the tires are extremely wide. But clearence is always an issue cept for them cuz they only go strait.

While other people just go real wide cuz they think they are cool and just go with the in fad.

if you want better handling, wider with low profiles (low side walls) is what you should look into. It does make a huge difference, specialy if you get the right kind of tires.
Ok I understand what it's for. Do **most** people upgrade to larger diameter (i.e. 15->17) AND wider (stock -> w/e), or just diameter? If I don't lower the car will I run into touching issues?

And one more thing. Why do people keep saying you lose acceleration with bigger rims? I can't see it having an effect unless overall diameter of the wheel changes, but you guys said it doesn't.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Last edited by Dr. Flyview; 06-13-2006 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 AM   #9
325isRED
6th Gear Member

generally, Bigger rims are heavier, wheel wheight is rotating mass, not sure the exact figures, but for explanation sake, 1 pound of rotating mass, could equal 20 lbs of static weight (weight on the seat or trunk kinda thing) i noticed this between my summer and winter rims/tires.

I think the best for an E36 is 17's with either 225's or 235's neither will rub on stock suspension or lowered...

'92 325is 5sp
325isRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:00 AM   #10
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isRED
generally, Bigger rims are heavier, wheel wheight is rotating mass, not sure the exact figures, but for explanation sake, 1 pound of rotating mass, could equal 20 lbs of static weight (weight on the seat or trunk kinda thing) i noticed this between my summer and winter rims/tires.

I think the best for an E36 is 17's with either 225's or 235's neither will rub on stock suspension or lowered...
What do the 2xx numbers mean?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
JPBimmer
Who Got Keys To Bimmaz?

Send a message via MSN to JPBimmer
I have 225/45/R17
Seems to work well with the 325i's
Read Up On What Each Means Here: http://www.aaca.org/publications/rum...7Jan/tires.htm

Quote:
eh bro why dont we cruise down to palatzo in my honda civic bro... ** followed by a giant glow stick battle as if were living inf ucking star wars or something...McMattMan ROFL
JPBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #12
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBimmer
I have 225/45/R17
Seems to work well with the 325i's
Read Up On What Each Means Here: http://www.aaca.org/publications/rum...7Jan/tires.htm
Cool, thanks for that article. So you're using the same width front and back?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: