Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-07-2002, 10:33 PM   #1
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Question Does TIME really exist?

I may be crazy, and really confused (and no i'm not stoned either ) but,

I've been pondering this all week now and I think I'm grasping the concept of time being nothing but a human concept of something doesn't really exist.
Time as we know it exists because of the rotation of the earth around the sun. This is how we come up with years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds, but that will only work ON earth and no where else! What good is earth time then? It means nothing outside of our own stratosphere.

So what is time then?

Could time just be our perception of motion? When you move from point A to point B it took you X ammount of Time in our perception, or did you just increase your motion above and beyond the motion of the rest of the universe?
Is time really the motion of everything in the universe expanding from a central point whcih we theorize as the big bang?
If so, then before the big bang all motion (time) must have been at a stand still, or ''frozen'' until one moment it all began to expand.

Could we gain an accurate measurement of what time really is by measuring the distance the universe has expanded from a central point in which the big bang first happened, and at which speed it has expanded at and is still currently?
If so then we would have to re-design a whole new mathematical way of measuring speed. We would no longer be able to use Distance/Time=speed because ''time'' is a human invention based on the rotation of the earth.

anyone else as confused as i?

anyone else have any input on this?

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:44 PM   #2
1BADBMW
6th Gear Member

ya, i know what you mean... you know what, ainstain once said that time dosen't exist because you can never get it back, for example when 2 minutes passes, you can never get it back or find it in any form which means that it never existed!!

man these things are deep ......anyway, don't waist your time

--> PARTING OUT E21 320 <--
1BADBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:57 PM   #3
e36_freak
Mostly absent

Send a message via ICQ to e36_freak Send a message via MSN to e36_freak
Re: Does TIME really exist?

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra

anyone else have any input on this?
LoL.... that's very nicely put..... i seldomely think of shit like that too..... like why are we here, .... is there really a meaning to life, is there a real purpose in life or are we all just bunched up molecules roaming around this planet. sometimes i feel like there's no reason or real purpose for me actually being alive and on this planet.

[M]i[K]E[][M]i[K]E[]
e36_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:03 PM   #4
Gamite

u know what's even more confusing? Time travel. If you travel back into the past to change something, then the original reason why you traveled back wont exist, thus you wont go back in time, but if you dont go back in time, you wont change that certain thing, and you will decide once again to go back in time to change that same thing. And it goes on and on and on.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:03 PM   #5
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Ya know what I have been pondering...that you have way too much TIME on your hands! LOL! Sorry I just had to throw that in there! LOL!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:56 PM   #6
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Here is something to think about. NOTHING EXISTS. And let me tell you why. The only reason objects exist is because human beings give meaning to them. Take a car for example, why is it a car?? Because humans have defined it to be a car, but what is it really?? What if humans called a car "a computer" right?? It can theoretically be anything. So thats why the only reason that things in this world exist is because human beings give them meaning. Deep huh.......
Old 11-07-2002, 11:58 PM   #7
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Another thing is that with Einsteins theory of relativity, time travel is possible, but its just that humans dont have the technology to do it yet.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:09 AM   #8
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino
Another thing is that with Einsteins theory of relativity, time travel is possible, but its just that humans dont have the technology to do it yet.
Einstein theorized that it is possible to travel back in time by traveling faster than the speed of light.

The best and easiest analogy I've heard is....
The light from a working clock travels to your eyes at the speed of light. If you move away from the clock just a bit faster than the speed of light, then the time on the clock would not be able to catch up to you. Taking it another step further, you would then see the time on the clock travel backwards, b/c you'd catch up to the light from the clock that had past you already that was traveling away from you at the speed of light.

Good site if your looking to subject yourself to some mental numbness or if ur out of sleeping pills: Relativity : The Special and General Theory

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph

Last edited by tlaselva; 11-08-2002 at 01:17 AM.
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:16 AM   #9
1BADBMW
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tlaselva

Einstein theorized that it is possible to travel back in time by traveling faster than the speed of light.

The light from a working clock travels to your eyes at the speed of light. If you move away from the clock just a bit faster than the speed of light, then the time on the clock would not be able to catch up to you. Taking it another step further, you would then see the time on the clock travel backwards, b/c you'd catch up to the light from the clock that had past you already that was traveling away from you at the speed of light.

This is all some very heavy $hit. Interesting though.
good one!!!!!!!!!!!

--> PARTING OUT E21 320 <--
1BADBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:18 AM   #10
Gamite

Quote:
Originally posted by tlaselva

This is all some very heavy $hit. Interesting though.
Take note, according to the Theory of relativity, Time Travel is possible, but only forwards through time..

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:32 AM   #11
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Was under the impression that it was back in time, not forward.

Going to double check that...

(hope ur not poking again)...

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
Old 11-08-2002, 04:15 AM   #12
325Ryan
3rd Gear Member

ok, here is a weird theory i thought of when i woke up today. (always when you wake up)

do you find you remember the dreams where you get woken up in the end?

Now, how can this be? Your brain certainly couldnt have known you were going to wake up and put it in the special place where dreams get remembered.

My theory is when you get woken up by a dream, your mind performs a kind of 'core dump' on the dream to your conscious. (for any of you non computer guys, it dumps the entire memory at once)

So, if you get woken up by the dream you then recieve the dream in full and then have to spend time following yourself through that dream.

So what happens to the time from when you wake up to when you actually wake up... or does the entire dream happen in an instant?

I just read this post and realized how crazy it sounds ... it's 1am my time so it's ok though .. i think i'm going to bed soon...
Old 11-08-2002, 04:23 AM   #13
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 325Ryan
ok, here is a weird theory i thought of when i woke up today. (always when you wake up)

do you find you remember the dreams where you get woken up in the end?

Now, how can this be? Your brain certainly couldnt have known you were going to wake up and put it in the special place where dreams get remembered.

My theory is when you get woken up by a dream, your mind performs a kind of 'core dump' on the dream to your conscious. (for any of you non computer guys, it dumps the entire memory at once)

So, if you get woken up by the dream you then recieve the dream in full and then have to spend time following yourself through that dream.

So what happens to the time from when you wake up to when you actually wake up... or does the entire dream happen in an instant?

I just read this post and realized how crazy it sounds ... it's 1am my time so it's ok though .. i think i'm going to bed soon...
Go back to sleep.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:18 AM   #14
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

wow, what have you guys been eating lately?
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:52 AM   #15
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Or smokin'?
Bad batch lately?

There's a scientific explanation for this.

When we sleep, we actually sleep in cycles, usually 1.5 hrs, that consist of various stages.

I'm not going to get technical or this post will go on for pages, but we only dream about 20 minutes out of that 1.5 hrs.

If you wake up during the dreaming state, (called REM sleep) you will remember your dream cuz your conscious mind was just 'in' the dream. Should you wake up after this REM cycle, then it's not so easy to remember cuz of the time elapsed since the REM cycle.

Also, one thing that I find helps is find how long your 'cycle is. Most people on average is 1.5 hrs. At the end of this cycle, (it only lasts about 10 minutes), it is the best time to wake up, cuz your conscious mind is at the shallowest point of the sleep cycle.
That's why sometimes you find it easier to get up after 4 or 5 hrs sleep, than at times when u get 8 hrs sleep.

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06

Last edited by tlaselva; 11-08-2002 at 10:57 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: