Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
Question Interior Carpet & Gas Pedal Removal

Im in the process of removing my carpets and Im stuck trying to get the gas pedal out. I've tried looking in behind with a mirror and prying up with 2 pry bars and still nothing. Has anyone mastered a technique of getting the go fast pedal out WITHOUT breaking it

ALSO, has anyone here fully removed their carpets and if so how much of the dashboard did you dismantle. I have the center console out but Im looking at it and looks like I need to remove a lot of the HVAC stuff?!

PITA but its a must do because the car is going to be sandblasted and there are some nasty surprises awaiting me underneath that carpet.

Pics to follow soon.

Last edited by 325iSBimmer; 05-21-2006 at 05:34 PM.
325iSBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
The problem with the gas pedal removal is the retaining clips will be broken, so you'll have to replace it with a new pedal. I've done it a few times without breaking anything.. but chances are, you'll break the clips.

Remove the retaining clip at the top of the pedal. You'll see it's connected to the throttle cable.

And obviously the pedal must be anchored to the floor somehow, right? (most people don't think about this for some reason). Push the carpet down at the front of the pedal, and there's a little hidden trap door down there. Pry the bottom part of the pedal open, and you'[ll see the retaining clip down there. This is difficult to explain, but you need to press the retaining clips while lifting the pedal.

Make sure when you install your new pedal, you ensure the throttle cable is adjusted properly.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

I think I understand what ur saying. when i had the mirror in behind and was looking at the back of the pedal I could see what looked like a litle tab, but it didnt seem to matter whether i pressed it in or pulled it out. But I'll trying removing it at the top first and then maybe I can bend it back far enough to use that little tab.

If I dont break this pedal is it ok for me to re-use it. whats the adjustment procedure for the throttle cable?

Thanks Justin!
Old 05-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
You don't need a mirror to look at the back of the pedal. Take a look at it again from the front, it's a retaining clip. You have to remove the top before you can remove the bottom.

If you don't break the pedal you can reuse it... but 99% of the time, the clips will break. It's a part of the removal process really.. new pedals are cheap though, and come with new clips of course.

The throttle cable adjusts on a screw, same as under your hood.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

I guess I'll just add throttle pedal to the ever growing list of parts to get from dealer.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Justin, You wouldn't happen to have any good tips on how to completely remove the carpet?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
bimmer318ti
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to bimmer318ti
^ I had to cut my carpet about 2 inches in order to pry my gas pedal off. My gas pedal's clips also broke when I was taking it off
Old 05-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

anyone else ever remove their carpets?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
WASABI
OG

http://rsiwerks.com/project332is/interior/
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iSBimmer
Justin, You wouldn't happen to have any good tips on how to completely remove the carpet?
It's tough to do without removing your entire interior. I've removed a few of them. If you plan on installing a different carpet after, good luck. The stock carpet is moulded with different amounts of foam padding in different areas. (like to square out the hump in the center console.)

You need to remove the front/rear seats, entire center console. Create a 'slit' in the carpet around the gas pedal to slide the carpet off. Interior door sills, kick panels. You will have to use an x-acto knife and cut slits around the centre console and places under the kick panel unless you remove your dash. This can be siliconed back in place after as it would not be seen anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: