Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
LOBO M-COUPE
Turbo'd

Up-grades coming soon...

I'll be installing Treehouse Racing "Eyeball" control arm mounts and Ground Control 'street' rear shock mounts next week. Falken Azenis RT-615 tires are going on also.
http://www.treehouseracing.com/home/content/view/13/40/
http://www.ground-control-store.com/...gory.php/CA=11
http://www.falkentire.com/615micro.htm

Brakes:
Either a set of OEM floating rotors or Brembo cast and beveled cross drilled rotors will find their way on there. Some feedback would be appriciated.
Axxis ULT pads look to be a good choice for stopping power. Anyone used these before?

Otherwise, driving impressions will be soon posted...
Old 03-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
don't get x-drilled rotors
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
LOBO M-COUPE
Turbo'd

Verdict!!!

Verdict:

Tires: Phenomenal dry and wet grip. Where the Toyo RA-1ís would require being brought up to temperature for maximum grip, the Falkenís seem to be working 9/10 from the get-go. Although, the RA-1ís are classified as a true R compound, the Falken RT-615ís were my top pick for a streetable R compound Ďlikeí tire with extremely capable dry/wet weather and wear performance.

Turn-in is 10/10, where I would rate my old Continental Sport Contact IIís a 7/10. In fact, I dare to say the turn-in and dry level grip surpass the BF Goodrich KDWís I installed previously on my 328is. Road noise is minimal, slightly quieter than the Contiís in fact. Although, this could be a result of the heightened aspect ratio, where the Falkenís are thicker (255/40/17) vs. the Contiís that I had on there (245/40/17). Wet weather performance has yet to disappoint. More to the point, dry tram-lining does not occur whatsoever.

As Falken Tires are not well known (yet!), call Doug at President Tire Distribution (1-800-667-0004) if youíre interested, theyíre located in Mississauga. Let it be known I have no affiliation with either company. I thought that a first had review of these tires would be of interest, especially given the fact that theyíre much less expensive than the comparable R compound tires (and much more streetable as well!).

Rear Shock Mounts: The Ground Control RSMís that I installed are street/race spec. A solid billet aluminum plate with high density poly-urethane inserts helped eliminate the deflection experienced by the stock RSMís and yet keeps the road noise to a tolerable level. Truth: I did experience an increased level of road noise, but itís more in the way of a Ďthudí sort of a sound. On the other hand, tunability is increased because the RSMís can now be accessed via the wheel well (removing the carpeting is no longer necessary). As I have the Koni adjustables installed in the rear, I save at least 2 hours worth of time not having to remove all the carpeting, plastic and what-have-you from the boot to change the settings on the dampeners. In addition, the Ground Control RSMís also have a Ďhorseshoeí like plate welded in-place, which sandwiches and bolts the units to the body. Unlike the stock RSMís, which only bolt to two holes in the body. Iíve herd stories of e36ís and e30ís ripping out the area of the body out where the RSM mount is located. Therefore, mounting the Ground Control RSMís to more surface area distributes the force of holding the dampener in place, minimizing the chance of the body dislodging itself at this location.

Solid control arm mounts from Treehouse Racing have yet to be installed. Although, I have to say that the craftsmanship is world class. Once installed, I expect there to be much more feedback via the steering wheel, but less deflection from bumps and irregular road surface will help picking and sticking to the intended line. Solo-One here I come.

Ö.while Iím at it. Thereís no real performance gain by way of the next modification Iím about to write about but I have to tell you guys how impressed I am. I installed a 4300K (9006 bulbs) H.I.D. xenon kit. Purchased from a contact I have in N.Y. for a great price, much less than anyone in Toronto is asking (shipping, dutyís and taxes included). In fact, I bought three kits in total (as I converted my parents Lexus RX300 and a friends Mercedes C320).

I had reservations because the MZ3ís do not have built-in projectors in their headlights, but I installed the kit thinking it would still be beneficial if I could get three times more light within the existing beam pattern. Verdict, better than expected. The 4300k bulbs are a pure white color without the blue seen in higher rated kits but the output (rated in lumens) is the highest achievable light output capable using zenon gas. I was also concerned with the amount of glare directed towards on-coming traffic but the headlights do in fact have a built-in diagonal cut-off (towards the passenger side). Parking the car at night in a long dark parking lot eased my worries (not only about blinding traffic but having problems with the police), there seems to be no increase in glare directed towards the direction of on-coming traffic. And yet, driving at night with these new HID units is almost entertaining seeing how much better everything is illuminated. Itís like a night and day difference!

If anyoneís interested in seeing for themselves, Iím more than willing to lightíem up and even order up as many kits as there are willing purchasers.

See everyone at the M-coupe cruise May 12.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
don't get x-drilled rotors
agreed, slotted rotors would be better

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
What's involved to go HID in the MC? Just bulbs and transformers?

see you at the cruise,
Graham

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
GimpZ3
2nd Gear Member

Please do everyone a favour by not blinding anyone and retrofit HID projectors. I used to have HIDs in the euro MZ3 headlight housing, and it still was glaring....even with a set of casper adapters.

Here's how my HID projector retrofit came through...

'98 BMW M Roadster (MZ3)
Projector: Valeo ECE
Ballasts: Philips LVQ 212 L-300
Custom wiring

if the pictures don't show for you, try clicking this link:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ian....com/my_photos

retrofit

after crash

some progress pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBO M-COUPE
Verdict:

Ö.while Iím at it. Thereís no real performance gain by way of the next modification Iím about to write about but I have to tell you guys how impressed I am. I installed a 4300K (9006 bulbs) H.I.D. xenon kit. Purchased from a contact I have in N.Y. for a great price, much less than anyone in Toronto is asking (shipping, dutyís and taxes included). In fact, I bought three kits in total (as I converted my parents Lexus RX300 and a friends Mercedes C320).

I had reservations because the MZ3ís do not have built-in projectors in their headlights, but I installed the kit thinking it would still be beneficial if I could get three times more light within the existing beam pattern. Verdict, better than expected. The 4300k bulbs are a pure white color without the blue seen in higher rated kits but the output (rated in lumens) is the highest achievable light output capable using zenon gas. I was also concerned with the amount of glare directed towards on-coming traffic but the headlights do in fact have a built-in diagonal cut-off (towards the passenger side). Parking the car at night in a long dark parking lot eased my worries (not only about blinding traffic but having problems with the police), there seems to be no increase in glare directed towards the direction of on-coming traffic. And yet, driving at night with these new HID units is almost entertaining seeing how much better everything is illuminated. Itís like a night and day difference!

If anyoneís interested in seeing for themselves, Iím more than willing to lightíem up and even order up as many kits as there are willing purchasers.

See everyone at the M-coupe cruise May 12.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

more info on the rx300 conversion? i will definately look into retrofitting some US HIDs into my parent's RX if we keep it when the warranty is up
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
Mike.. where did you get the groundcontrol RSM? Do they have a dealer here in Toronto? I want to get the full coilover kit for the M Coupe unfortunately they don't ship international.

Jeff

Sold/Traded-in
2006 M5
2003 M3
2003 Civic Si
2000 M Coupe
1999 M3
1999 323i
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
LOBO M-COUPE
Turbo'd

Ground Control shipping info.

'Crusha'..... they shipped the RSM's to me here in Toronto!!!

Maybe they know you're already fast enough!!!

P.S. The suspension mod on the Coupe will make it feel like race kart on roids!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBO M-COUPE
'Crusha'..... they shipped the RSM's to me here in Toronto!!!
Maybe they know you're already fast enough!!!
P.S. The suspension mod on the Coupe will make it feel like race kart on roids!!!
Hey.. ya Don Feen from GC just email me and said I have to call them directly to get the sale going and they ship to Toronto too.. But not on the website.

BTW, I feel that the coupe suspension is still soft!!! want something very stiff

PS: how much does the HID kit cost? I'm very interested, stock lights on the coupe is very poor.

Last edited by crusher; 04-18-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Shark
2nd Gear Member

I'm too interested in the HID kit price and where did you get the headlight housing with the clear corner lens?
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
LOBO M-COUPE
Turbo'd

Treehouse Racing solid control arm mounts installed!

So, I installed the Treehouse Racing solid control arm mounts last night, took me 45mins in total.

Verdict:
1. Solid turn-in feel.
2. Less adjustment necessary on camber pitched roads.
3. Increased feedback from the road, although I was surprised/dumbfounded that it didn't feel harsh.

9.5/10
[I was looking for something more raw (think Ferrari F40).. but this is as raw as it gets

Tip:
Removing the OEM bushing is very easy. On loan from Parts Source (or Canadian Tire), I used a gear puller (4"). Did not require the control arm to be removed from the chassis. Simply un-bolt the original control arm bracket from the chassis and swing forward the hub assembly a few inches (enough to get the gear puller in there). The Treehouse Racing "eyeball" control arm bushing popped on with little more than bare hands effort.

I'll post pictures soon.

Cheers,
Michael.

P.S. There's a lapping day at Mosport's Driver Development track this Saturday ($125) 7:30am-4:30pm. OMSC is putting it on. See you there!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
thinair
moderationistismingly

Let me know about the durability of those control arm bushings. I'm looking to replace my Powerflex urethane ones with them. Not because the urethane ones were bad (they're great), but I'm starting to look toward solid suspension bushings, for pretty much the same reason as you, a more raw feel. (just not solid engine/tranny/subframe mounts for street)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
crusher
OMGHI2U2

I can't wait for the pics.. I might do this mod too depending on the $$ left lol.. My coil-over and cam kit is on the way, Josh from eurosport just called today. NExt week they will have the M50 manifold Cams is already is Canada. I also got IE stuff.. Urethane rear trailing arm bushing, transmission mount, subframe bushing, RSM reinforcement kit. Also, SS lines from bavauto and CG-Lock & UUC underdrive pulleys from UUC.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

^^You should have done theit twin screw, then I'd be really jealous

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: