Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Considering a seven........

......... and I've read around a lot on the internet........... the good the bad and the ugly. Looking at a 2000 740i sport. Always LOVED the car. But the concerns of gas prices going through the ceiling this summer have me wondering if this will be a REALLY stupid move that I will regret. IT will likely get similar mileage to the 2002 X5 we have........... but nothing near the 550 km to a 55 litre tank combined mileage I'm getting now. I don't do a ton a driving........... but.................... fak, I don't know what to do.

Was originally looking at the E39 fivers.............. but back seat room is no better then a 3. And I need the room with a wife and two kiddies. So the fiver was out. No American cars............ I'd rather walk. And for the price I can get for a 7-er, it's cheaper to buy a used 7-er then to go to the new Asian cars in the Toyota/Honda/Nissan world. Then there's used Asian cars.......... BUT I REALLY LIKE THE 7 !!! The greedy two eyed monster has taken over my brain. I saw a picture of the 7-er on the 745i OEM 20's and pooped my pants. Oh yeah, the I'm not thinking on all cylinders has taken over.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

it's a BEAUTIFUL car i agree.....but how expensive will maintainance be? i hear the 7ers are NOTORIOUS for little elec. gremlins.

Are the 5ers THAT crappy on rear seat space? that sounds really odd
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
meh. bla bla bla problems, bla bla expensive maintenance, bla bla gas will rape you. i got bad news for you man: you've already made your choice. even if we wanted to, we couldn't talk you out of it now

(i love those cars)
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Yeah, the 5-er is not much betetr in the back then the 3. It's really weird. I sat in the front seat, adjusted it to my position, hopped in the back of the 5 and fak me...... no point in buying a 5 for me.

Yeaaah, I have a really good mechanic that would find me a good example..... assuming I pursue it. He has a lot of experience servicing the 7's as he has a few clients with them. When I told him I was interested in a 7, he immediately gave me this funny azz grin......... you know...... the one a female counterpart would give you when you're about to do something REALLY man-ly stupid
Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
touchofclass
1999 BMW 740i BMW 2000IT

I have a 7 series and what I do is enjoy it for pleasure driving and special outings. I drive my Volvo 740 - 4 cylinder to work everyday. This way it does not kill me.
Maintenance, hmmm I have not spent much on that except regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance. Make sure you get a 7 series with history, preferably from a BMW dealership. There are a lot of 7 Series on the market right now, but you need to be really really careful.
I love my 7 series
My recommendation: Find a good reliable mechanic who does not look at the car and want to fleece you. There are a few out there. I get my car serviced and maintained by Bimmersport and Charlie looks after me.
If you enjoy the space, comfort and quiet ride, not forgetting when you have visitors travel in comfort. Go for the 7 series. I did after a lot of comparisons with 5 series and 7 series.
Cheers
touchofclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
great car.. love it alot.. but i had alot of problem with mine.. but everyone has differant luck.. if you dont mind the once in a while maintence.. then
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

Get it! wayyy cooler than an X5 and the prices are soooo low now.

and so sexy i love it in the James bond movie Tomorrow NEver dies?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Audi A4 has to get sold first.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Mtl_e30M3
2nd Gear Member

get a sporty wagon... BMW or AUDI or Mercedes or Subaru.... they all have good choices (plus I think you get a good deal on the used ones as the demand for powerfull wagons is somewhat limited). I have always said they are the best vehicles to buy used... Think about it, most are maintained by car nuts but driven by the wife (so the chances of getting an abused one are low)

edit: oops... did not realize this was 2 weeks ago

Last edited by Mtl_e30M3; 05-20-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Mtl_e30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
tominizer
6th Gear Member

No problems. Actually what may happen is I dump the Audi shortly as I'm picking up a 1996 pickup next week....................... the 740i is still in the back of my head though........... but for next spring.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #11
cwiniarz
2nd Gear Member

i have e32 (92 735il, it's only problems after problems. But i still love the car. I'm thinking of picking up a 2000 soon aswell.
cwiniarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Well, Audi A4 was traded in.............. on a awesome condition Audi A6 2.7T. Wasn't exactly what we intended on doing but the deal and the condition were too good to pass on. Highly modifiable to. 305 hp with just a chip. But needs other things as the suspension is CRAP.......... apparently sport package not available in Canada, not that it's great either............ steering needs to be un-boosted although the 18" wheels help in that *feel* department. Sorry, kinda the wrong content for here............. but that's what happened.

Last edited by tominizer; 06-05-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
touchofclass
1999 BMW 740i BMW 2000IT

Good for you Tominizer.. but I am sure you will be back in a 7 series some day and we will welcome you Have fun with the Audi Did you sell your M Parallel's ?
touchofclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #14
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I still luv the seven. So yes, one day !! M-parallels have not been sold. They are still available (5 rims). One is for a 5 series though. Not sure I will be selling them as I would need good money to release them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: