Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2002, 10:59 PM   #31
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M52_Alpina

i did the fan delete mod too, no need for another fan.
Was it hard to do and was it worth it??
Old 11-06-2002, 02:42 PM   #32
M52_Alpina
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino

Was it hard to do and was it worth it??
it was not hard to do at all. remove the fan clutch using a thin 32mm open wrench. Replace the factory thermostat with a lower temp. thermostat (BMP has them). Then replace the factory fan switch with one from 318ti (a low temp fan switch). Pour in 1 or 2 bottles of water wetter OR get a 16" spal electric fan instead.

I did replace the factory thermostat with a lower temp one and i also did the 318ti fan switch. I didn't use water wetter nor the electric fan. It works great, i did feel the difference in power.

Since the weather is getting very cold, you can just remove the fan, drive around and see if you like it first before buying anything.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #33
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
hmm
would this work for a forced induction car?
basically if i install my supercharger i need to shave down the fan blades to make clearance for the belts and pullies
but if i can delete the fan all together than it should be alot easier

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:04 PM   #34
WASABI
OG

This fan delete mod, I dunno, but I'm guessing it's kinda the same as taking off the power steering belt. I did this in my old acura at the track, and it did nothing. How much power does a fan really need, specially at high speeds when it's being helped by wind already. I really can't see any HP gains there.

Last edited by WASABI; 11-06-2002 at 06:31 PM.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:26 PM   #35
325Ryan
3rd Gear Member

Yeah i dont like this whole fan delete thing..

Engineers put fans on radiators for a reason..

I could see it being ok if it was a track only car.. cause you would always be moving. But as a daily driver... can you imagine sitting in traffic with no rad fan on a hot summer's day?
Old 11-06-2002, 07:18 PM   #36
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by 325Ryan
Yeah i dont like this whole fan delete thing..

Engineers put fans on radiators for a reason..
Well, to make this mod seem more reasonable.

First off, there are 6-8rwhp, dyno proven by the PTG BMW race team. Second, if you follow all the directions at understeer.com, you car will not overheat. Redline water wetter is really decent stuff. When you add the lower temp thermostat, it opens the coolant from the rad to the engine sooner, and at the same time, the auxilery fan kicks in to low speed (@ 80コ), there is no point to having the fan moving before the thermostat is open anyway. At 88コ, the auxilery fan changed to high speed. Remember, a lot of cars only have one electric fan anyway, or just the pulley/crank, with no electric fans. The aux fan on our cars are more for A/C reasons.

So to clarify, all I6 e36 cars have two fans (one electric, and one mechanical on a clutch), this mod is just getting rid of the mechanical one, and making the electric one work earlier, and a bit harder when your car is in a traffic jam.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It痴 habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I知 Nelson, and I知 a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:38 PM   #37
Gamite

I dunno about you guys, but for me, I DO need a fan to be running to keep my coolant cool. My fan clutch is siezed up right now, and my rubber pipes are all filled with pressure because of the heat. Although I dont have any problems now since its winter.

Here's a fan delete mod for the E34, he uses an electric fan.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrad...trical_fan.htm

I'm guessing it should be just as simple for any other car, you just need the right size.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:56 PM   #38
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
Here's a fan delete mod for the E34, he uses an electric fan.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrad...trical_fan.htm
Technically, you can do the same to the e36 I6's as described there, but then again, you can also do the e34s (except the 518's ) the same way as the e36's. It's even easier for the 525 owners because the parts needed are identical between the 525 and the e36 325. I happen to have an old 525 rad laying around, and the tempature switchs screws into it properly, and looks identical to it, minus the difference in connectors (ODB-1 - 3 pins, ODB-2 - a lot more then 3 pins)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It痴 habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I知 Nelson, and I知 a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 11-06-2002 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:15 PM   #39
Gamite

U know what? For some reason, this never occured to me, my fan clutch is gone anyways, so why havent I thought about doing this??

Stupid me.

"That 'stupid train' keeps running over me, running over me..."

Old 11-06-2002, 08:17 PM   #40
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
U know what? For some reason, this never occured to me, my fan clutch is gone anyways, so why havent I thought about doing this??

Stupid me.

"That 'stupid train' keeps running over me, running over me..."
And now is pretty much the safest time of the year to try it
Old 11-06-2002, 08:28 PM   #41
Gamite

I'm gonna try it sometime in the spring.. All my income has gone into my ice.

Old 11-11-2002, 01:03 AM   #42
Rehman
2nd Gear Member

A supercharged 328 will never win.......

I've raced a few supercharged 328's with various M3's I've owned, they can and never will come close. You'll have to go supercharged plus NOS to win.
Rehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:09 AM   #43
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Re: A supercharged 328 will never win.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Rehman
I've raced a few supercharged 328's with various M3's I've owned, they can and never will come close. You'll have to go supercharged plus NOS to win.
You mean a S/C 328 vs a stock M3?? An S/C wouldnt win?!?!!??!? Thats hard to believe, Im not discrediting you, but thats just hard to believe.............
Old 11-11-2002, 01:11 AM   #44
SickFinga

Re: A supercharged 328 will never win.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Rehman

You are on drugs.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:16 AM   #45
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

alpina_m52, his car is dynoed at 219? something at the wheel,
and yes I have seen the car in real life. This car kicks the us spec m3's ass anytime. WITHOUT SUPERCHARGER.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: