Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #16
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

OKAY, I get the picture! I was white knucked, but never thought I was driving "like a dick" (as that term was used so often in the driver's meeting). I really tried to find the line and the apex. I was totally happy just chasing the Miata for 3 laps, and never even tried to pass it (not that I could, but we had a great run).

My first mistake was a spinout in the sweeping left hander, and I didn't repeat that mistake again. My second mistake was to overestimate the brakes and I went into the paved runoff area. My BIGGEST mistake was to go out for a last run with the boys...

BUT that still leaves me with the question - are my brake pads shot now? After the first experience with brake fade, I though I let my car cool down for ten minutes or so. I thought I would have full braking power again, but maybe they weren't cool enough or my biggest concern - they will never be good as they were before the track day (glazing?). HELP on this question!
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #17
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

But I will say that I learned A LOT about my car and my skill deficiencies. Truly a humbling experience to get passed by much more skilled drivers in lower horsepowered cars!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #18
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
I saw that and it not look good from I was standing man,but mean thing nothing bad happened,did see the black e30 with white hood that was me man...
Paul! I didn't know you were there! You coulda listened to my sound system to see if it's me or the car!!!

Was this incident at the end of the night (prolly 8:15ish?). If so, then I am the bearer of shame upon the e46s...
Old 05-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #19
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy
OKAY, I get the picture! I was white knucked, but never thought I was driving "like a dick" (as that term was used so often in the driver's meeting). I really tried to find the line and the apex. I was totally happy just chasing the Miata for 3 laps, and never even tried to pass it (not that I could, but we had a great run).

My first mistake was a spinout in the sweeping left hander, and I didn't repeat that mistake again. My second mistake was to overestimate the brakes and I went into the paved runoff area. My BIGGEST mistake was to go out for a last run with the boys...

BUT that still leaves me with the question - are my brake pads shot now? After the first experience with brake fade, I though I let my car cool down for ten minutes or so. I thought I would have full braking power again, but maybe they weren't cool enough or my biggest concern - they will never be good as they were before the track day (glazing?). HELP on this question!
Your pads are likely glazed.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #20
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
Like a Tim Horton's donut, I guess that's no good for one in the long run...
Old 05-01-2006, 02:07 AM   #21
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Like a Tim Horton's donut, I guess that's no good for one in the long run...
I was thinking Krispy Kreme, but it's the same type of glaze

How is your braking now? If there is some life left on the pads you can get away with sanding a layer of the pad away (use a flat surface of course! you don't want to round the edges).

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 AM   #22
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
How is your braking now? If there is some life left on the pads you can get away with sanding a layer of the pad away (use a flat surface of course! you don't want to round the edges).
Well, when I bought my car a month ago, the BMW inspection revealed that I had pretty much full brakes (10mm and 12mm). I would think I have some more left!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:49 AM   #23
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
You may have also boiled the fluid. I would flush/re-bleed the system along with scuffing the pads.

/// M3NTAL Kev

M3ntal Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #24
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ntal Kev
You may have also boiled the fluid. I would flush/re-bleed the system along with scuffing the pads.
I changed the fluid two days before the track day. Do I need to do it again?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #25
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
I changed the fluid two days before the track day. Do I need to do it again?
If you boiled it, yes.

/// M3NTAL Kev

M3ntal Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #26
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ntal Kev
If you boiled it, yes.
Fack, track days are expensive!!!

Did the entire car fluid change, just bought new Pilot Sport PS2s, gonna have to buy new pads and now gotta do an oil change and brake fluid change...
Old 05-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #27
MpowerK
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MpowerK
great to hear that U had lots of fun!

May 6th Cross Car Clubs meet - Details Inside
MpowerK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: