Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #31
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DIESEL_
With 8spi you will be pleased with your car just a better feeling then a N/A 250hp motor.
That is what I figured. It will be way more fun to drive than a 250rwhp N/A motor.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #32
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
ricer's with your BOV's

still not considering playing with the stock internals on your 320?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #33
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
With 8spi you will be pleased with your car just a better feeling then a N/A 250hp motor.
Explain this please. What better feeling?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #34
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Correction, on a centrifugal supercharger. Positive displacement blowers are a lot more efficient, which is why Mercedes, VW, etc, etc have used them.

Even a turbo requires power to spin the turbine to create boost, obviously no where near as much as a belt driven compressor though.
Correction noted.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #35
b_w.
2nd Gear Member

go for the turbo 325! if you do your setup like an aa kit you could get tuning from them. your other option is a standalone ecu like the tec3. 325's have lots of potential. just the other day on bf.c there was a turbo 325 that made over 400whp at 18psi with 91 octane and a .140 cometic headgasket. i think it was with a sc-61 turbo.
b_w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #36
SickFinga

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree on that.
In my opinion, 250rwhp NA car > 250rwhp FI car.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #37
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch555
Hmmmm... I don't have any access to any 328 for a good price right now. Plus it's not cheap to change it over to OBD1, I might as well wait for a 3litre m3 engine instead for the money I'd put in changing over a 328 to OBD1. Also, I am already doing a lot of things to my car so it's already expensive enough for this year.

You have this in your sig yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistykal
Anyway, if you want to be the envy of the whole Maxbimmer, 3.0l + TwinScrew (I know its super exepesive, but damn its so god damn sweet )
Old 04-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #38
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
You have this in your sig yourself

Anyway, if you want to be the envy of the whole Maxbimmer, 3.0l + TwinScrew (I know its super exepesive, but damn its so god damn sweet )
Ah yes... someone finally related what I was talking about in this thread to Mystikal's quote under my sig. There are so many factors in doing it once and right. I could do an M5 engine in my car and people could call it right also but that is a RETARDED amount of cash. To me... I am doing it right but trying to not tear me a new asshole at the same time even tho it is still expensive the way I am going. Just cuz I'm not buying a $10,000USD turbo kit doens't mean I am not doing it right. 325 engine has enough potential to be really fast. I don't need more than 300rwhp in my car. That is more than enough for my type of driving so why would I need a 3litre with twinscrew? To waste money? I don't even like superchargers to begin with.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #39
SickFinga

Quote:
Ah yes... someone finally related what I was talking about in this thread to Mystikal's quote under my sig. There are so many factors in doing it once and right. I could do an M5 engine in my car and people could call it right also but that is a RETARDED amount of cash. To me... I am doing it right but trying to not tear me a new asshole at the same time even tho it is still expensive the way I am going. Just cuz I'm not buying a $10,000USD turbo kit doens't mean I am not doing it right. 325 engine has enough potential to be really fast. I don't need more than 300rwhp in my car. That is more than enough for my type of driving so why would I need a 3litre with twinscrew? To waste money? I don't even like superchargers to begin with.

I never said that Turbo 325 doesnt have potential.
But I my opinion budget tuning never going to be right. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my belief.

And why do you prefer Turbo over twinscrew superchargers?
Twinscrew is much better than turbo, PERIOD. Especially when you said it yourself, you just want 300rwhp. With your setup, Twinscrew supercharger is way, way better than turbo. Even turbo biased guys wont deny that.
Just because Turbo has this "pssssssssssssssssssssh" sound.
Well considering that every stock WRX and GTI has it, its not that cool anymore.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #40
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
I never said that Turbo 325 doesnt have potential.
But I my opinion budget tuning never going to be right. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my belief.

And why do you prefer Turbo over twinscrew superchargers?
Twinscrew is much better than turbo, PERIOD. Especially when you said it yourself, you just want 300rwhp. With your setup, Twinscrew supercharger is way, way better than turbo. Even turbo biased guys wont deny that.
Just because Turbo has this "pssssssssssssssssssssh" sound.
Well considering that every stock WRX and GTI has it, its not that cool anymore.
I know you never said that 325 with turbo doesn't have potential but I just wanted to state that. It's not really budjet tuning as I am still spending more money to do it right to work properly and safely.

I have been in a few cars that have Turbo's and a few that have Superchargers... I always liked being in the Turbo cars cuz the full boost just throws you back all at once rather than slowly building up like a supercharger throughout the rpm range. And Yes the "PSSSSST" from the BOV on a turbo sounds like sex. I know that a twinscrew is nice but I hate all other superchargers. But twinscrew is tearage of a new asshole. They are rediculously priced for our older cars.

I don't care what other people think of me or my car cuz I don't care what is cooler. Whatever I like, I do to my car!

Quote:
Old 04-30-2006, 02:16 AM   #41
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
And Yes the "PSSSSST" from the BOV on a turbo sounds like sex.
It only sounds like sex because that sound is the new status quo in modding. Tractor trailers and buses have been making that sound from purging air brakes for decades and no one has ever busted a nut over it.

You don't plow your gf with the '101 BOV sounds on cd' playing in the background do you?

What do you want exactly here, numbers, bragging rights, low price, performance, what???

You can't get bored of power you don't even have yet. In my opinion, get a 3L M3 engine, install it, drive it, have fun with it. Once you're bored with it, do it up, either a cam kit, or FI. Not everything needs to be done at once right.

Personally I don't see why you'd even consider swapping a 2.5L into your 320. It'd be a waste of money in a sense. FI isn't cheap as you know, why screw around with a turbo on a displacement limited engine. You'll start turning up the boost kicking yourself on why you just didn't get the larger engine at the beginning. There seems to be a noticable difference between the FI'd 2.5 or 3L, and mainly in torque. Hell, I have no doubt in my mind that you hit +300hp from a turbo'd 2L, but that's just a number, with a narrow powerband and no torque who cares right?

If it were my money, it'd be an OBD1 2.8 or 3.2L and leave it alone. Then in the future worry about more power. For example, +600rwhp is possible from a turbo'd yet stock internal'd 2.8L engine, it's been proven. +300rwft-lbs is possible from a supercharged 3.2L. BMW V8 swaps aren't cost effecive for the power gained, even if the engine was free.

My 2 cents i guess...
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #42
_DIESEL_
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Explain this please. What better feeling?

With the proper turbo size if you don't go like rest of the guys with hondas that slap on the turbo that's bigger then their motor and then you have to waith for it to spool up at 8000 rpm. My car has 10spi at 2500rpm almost no lag.

I did a pull with a buddy of mine that has a 13.2 qurter mile mustang

3rd gear from 2500 rpm by the time i was at 6500 i was long gone
but when we went from 4000 rpm till i hit my rev limiter i barly pulled on him and barly was like a bumper. He makes he's peak power at high rpm
let's say my car makes 250rwhp and onother bimmer makes 250hp
my car at let's say 3500 will make more power then an n/a car if i'm rong correct me.
Boosted car will be more fun to play with in a long run.

And If Mitch acually wants to go crazy on the car after he gets the turbo

He can always get more power out of if then a N/A motor
Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #43
SickFinga

Quote:
With the proper turbo size if you don't go like rest of the guys with hondas that slap on the turbo that's bigger then their motor and then you have to waith for it to spool up at 8000 rpm. My car has 10spi at 2500rpm almost no lag.

I did a pull with a buddy of mine that has a 13.2 qurter mile mustang

3rd gear from 2500 rpm by the time i was at 6500 i was long gone
but when we went from 4000 rpm till i hit my rev limiter i barly pulled on him and barly was like a bumper. He makes he's peak power at high rpm
let's say my car makes 250rwhp and onother bimmer makes 250hp
my car at let's say 3500 will make more power then an n/a car if i'm rong correct me.
Boosted car will be more fun to play with in a long run.

And If Mitch acually wants to go crazy on the car after he gets the turbo

He can always get more power out of if then a N/A motor

I cant find a dyno graph for Turbo 325.

I dont know how your car doesn't get any lag and 10psi at 2500 here is the graphs I made from using AA's dyno info

Turbo 7.5psi M3 vs SC 8psi M3

SC M3 has more HP or Torque upto 3900rpm's, after that Turbo gets the lead and then after 6100 SC car takes the lead again.

If you compare Turbo M3 to a stock M3 at lower RPMs turbo car actually loses HP.
http://www.activeautowerke.com/dyno/..._95M3_7psi.pdf

So yeah, even if you use properly sized turbo it will never be as linear as SC or NA car.

But I agree with you, if you want 500+ hp, Turbo is the only way to go on out engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TurbovsSC.jpg (94.4 KB, 882 views)
Old 04-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #44
b_w.
2nd Gear Member

325 turbo
b_w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #45
thinair
moderationistismingly

^^ that's great if you only drive between 5000-7000rpm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: