Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #16
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhard22
Mark,
Don't take it personally. All I said was that it was working out. In regards to my schedule, I would make myself available or give the car to you if you told me the problem would be corrected over a certain time frame. I know the car had/has some other issues but that's part of tuning, atleast when trouble shooting as far as I know. I also assumed over a 3 year period there might have been something you could have done to correct the problem or head me in that direction but the contact seemed to deteriorate if I wasn't the initaing it all the time. Moving forward, if you still think you have something to bring to the table or can solve the issues over a certain time period, please let me know and I would be happy to meet with you again. I was just trying to get some/any input as I know guys are ruuning turbos with the same engine and must of had similar issues. What kills me is the Mossellman said the kit was bolt on-which doesn't seem to be the case. Mark, you are still on my Christmas card list or atleast your still one of my favourite M5 drivers on Danforth..lol
Ben
Ben,

I am sure I contacted you a few times telling you what the next step should be. Once I know you have a proper fuel pump in there, (and injectors) I can tune it. Honestly I need the car for a few days so I can test a few things on the dyno. It's not easy to do in just a couple of one or two hour sessions. The rising rate FPR's etc are bandaid solutions. I want to tune it properly with just 24 or 28 # injectors. If you want to bring it back, I'll talk to Rudy and schedule some time for it. Once we get it running, you may want to consider converting it to a MAF for even better results.

Mark
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #17
paul
5th Gear Member

standalone is all i ahve to say,,,,,, stock pump should be ok for 5psi, injectors have to be upgarded, also check 4 boost leaks
Old 05-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul
standalone is all i ahve to say,,,,,, stock pump should be ok for 5psi, injectors have to be upgarded, also check 4 boost leaks

Good I'll remember all that
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #19
paul
5th Gear Member

i didnt mean it in a bad way, mark
Old 05-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #20
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul
i didnt mean it in a bad way, mark

Probably not, but the fuel injectors have already been upgraded. I think there is a new fuel pump in there...(there was some new pump but it may have been defective)
There's no reason to use any other ECU, trhe Motronic can easily do this job. Ripping it out and using something else is only done because many others don't know how to tune a Motronic. If you do, it can be used for this application.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #21
Euro_E30
6th Gear Member

the stock fuel pump should be more than enought to run 4-5 psi.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #22
burnhard22
4th Gear Member

Injectors were update I believe they are 22lbs...got them off NickP who has also offered me a MAF to try to see if that may be the problem.
Eitherway, I will try this first.
MARK-I will call you within 2 weeks, I am available May 19th weekend (so far) and June looks good too. Give me some dates when Rudy and/or you will be able to spend some time on it and I'll work it out.
Thanks
Ben

p.s I do have contacts in Nobelton/Bolton areas as well and will be looking for advice to bring to the table who have had similar issues. tks again
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #23
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Injectors were update I believe they are 22lbs...got them off NickP who has also offered me a MAF to try to see if that may be the problem.
MARK-I will call you within 2 weeks, I am available May 19th weekend (so far) and June looks good too. Give me some dates when Rudy and/or you will be able to spend some time on it and I'll work it out.
Thanks
Ben

p.s I do have contacts in Nobelton/Bolton areas as well and will be looking for advice to bring to the table who have had similar issues. tks again

Ben,

I need the injector part number so I can make a chip for them. I hope 22# is big enough, it seems to be barely adequate... I had mentioned to use 28#.
Is Nick offering a MAF or AFM? I don't want to swap in a MAF until it is running better as you can't just use any MAF, the output is not the same as an AFM.

MarkD
Old 05-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #24
NickP

Quote:
Thanks
Ben

AFM is sold - sorry... and I would agree with 28# or 30# injectors...

MarkD - any recommendations on which MAF to go with if you're upgrading anyways? Most people say that the Euro / v8 HFM hits 5 volts / flat line at around 8-9 pounds of boost in an s50. I would ASSume that the m20 wouldn't hit that limit at the same boost levels.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #25
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP
AFM is sold - sorry... and I would agree with 28# or 30# injectors...

MarkD - any recommendations on which MAF to go with if you're upgrading anyways? Most people say that the Euro / v8 HFM hits 5 volts / flat line at around 8-9 pounds of boost in an s50. I would ASSume that the m20 wouldn't hit that limit at the same boost levels.

I have not got any recommendation for FI cars yet. (I know what I would pick for a n/a M20). I wish I had a car to experiment with for a few weeks. If a MAF maxes out with a certain airflow, what you can do is remove the sensor from the body (tube) and insert it in a body with a bigger diameter, then it will not max out. But then you need to change the software to account for that. Maybe I just have to buy a project car and add a turbo, do all the magic on it and sell it afterwards. Anyway, the Bosch HFM5 as used on the E46 M3 is a possible MAF to use, but it's not a direct drop in. (both physically and electrically)

MarkD
Old 05-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #26
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD
I have not got any recommendation for FI cars yet. (I know what I would pick for a n/a M20). I wish I had a car to experiment with for a few weeks. If a MAF maxes out with a certain airflow, what you can do is remove the sensor from the body (tube) and insert it in a body with a bigger diameter, then it will not max out. But then you need to change the software to account for that. Maybe I just have to buy a project car and add a turbo, do all the magic on it and sell it afterwards. Anyway, the Bosch HFM5 as used on the E46 M3 is a possible MAF to use, but it's not a direct drop in. (both physically and electrically)

MarkD
Hey Mark - just as a quick note - many in the BMW FI world wind up going with a Porsche 993TT MAF. Its a Bosch unit that's 3.5" in diameter and similar wiring to the e36 units.

You're more than welcome to my car to tune for a couple weeks but its not an m20
Old 05-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #27
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP
Hey Mark - just as a quick note - many in the BMW FI world wind up going with a Porsche 993TT MAF. Its a Bosch unit that's 3.5" in diameter and similar wiring to the e36 units.

You're more than welcome to my car to tune for a couple weeks but its not an m20

I'd be interested to know how they interface it to the Motronic and if it's all done in software, as I would do it or if they use some type of signal modifying box. Do you have any idea? Call me up if you want to discuss it.

Mark
Old 05-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #28
SickFinga

Euro M3 HFM should be fine.
RMS using it for their Stage II setup (11psi)
If you want more, AA uses 911 Turbo HFM
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #29
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD
I'd be interested to know how they interface it to the Motronic and if it's all done in software, as I would do it or if they use some type of signal modifying box. Do you have any idea? Call me up if you want to discuss it.

Mark
Porsche uses Motronic as well so I'm pretty sure that its done exclusively through the software / VQ Maps. The part number for the Porsche HFM is 0280217809... actually I looked up a picture looks exactly the same as a BMW HFM connector wise etc.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #30
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
Euro M3 HFM should be fine.
RMS using it for their Stage II setup (11psi)
If you want more, AA uses 911 Turbo HFM
Most people say the Euro / 540 HFM hits 5 volts before a decently set up Vortech puts out 11psi. I'm sure you can tune it to work with the HFM but it won't be optimal. But hey you're the one with the FI car - I say we go test it out

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: