Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-23-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
bimmer318ti
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to bimmer318ti
^ I messaged him. We'll see what he says. If not, I think we will order a set from ebay (which comes with four rings) and we split the cost, and we will have one back-up ring each.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #17
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

K let me know, if not I'll just take your one ring off your hands.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #18
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

i need the inverters too i think...water got on mine and it keeps popping my fuse, it barely lights up 2 lights and 2 are dead.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #19
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

^^There we go, we can order a set of rings. I get 1 and bimmer 318ti gets one and jonny can have the other 2. They are roughly $70 US for 4.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_blaze
i need the inverters too i think...water got on mine and it keeps popping my fuse, it barely lights up 2 lights and 2 are dead.
Doubt water is the problem. While it could short out and pop a fuse, after the water dries all should be well. Pry open your inverter and let it air dry for a few hours.. then see what happens. If your fuse still blows, the problem is with your wiring exposed somewhere. Either wires touching, or one of them touching the chassis of your vehicle.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #21
Andy E34

Send a message via MSN to Andy E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Doubt water is the problem. While it could short out and pop a fuse, after the water dries all should be well. Pry open your inverter and let it air dry for a few hours.. then see what happens. If your fuse still blows, the problem is with your wiring exposed somewhere. Either wires touching, or one of them touching the chassis of your vehicle.
I agree, one of my eyes was out for a day after a heavy rain...then the next day it came on dim...the following day back to all eyes on and bright...fine ever since! Next time I am under the hood I will be lookinh at how to waterproof the inverters and clean up any suspect wiring issues...and doing my corner delete!
Andy E34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #22
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy E34
I agree, one of my eyes was out for a day after a heavy rain...then the next day it came on dim...the following day back to all eyes on and bright...fine ever since! Next time I am under the hood I will be lookinh at how to waterproof the inverters and clean up any suspect wiring issues...and doing my corner delete!
What you want is a can of conformal coating. It's available from any electronics store such as Radio Shack, or Active Surplus. It's either acrylic, urtethane, or silicone based, it's basically a non-conductive waterproof clear-coat that you spray on your circuit boards and other electronics. It's used in most water applications, and other waterproof electronics---on boats and such. The stuff I use is acrylic based, and made by Miller Stephenson.

jonny_blaze - Also, I was just thinking.. they designed those angel eyes so they tap into an existing circuit. Overloading the circuit will also cause a fuse to blow. I have an extra 12V motorcycle battery that I use with some jumper cables when I'm isolating a circuit. Wire up the circuit to a new circuit with an inline fuse and see what happens then. Also make sure the fuse is the proper amperage. I believe specs of the angel eyes says to increase the fuse by 5A.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #23
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King

Also I would suggest shrink-tubing any areas that can potentially be exposed to water. As for the inverters, I put mine in the Depos inside the hi-beam housing.
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:43 AM   #24
Furious
BMW again.

man i knew this was gonna happen .
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #25
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSchnitzer
Also I would suggest shrink-tubing any areas that can potentially be exposed to water. As for the inverters, I put mine in the Depos inside the hi-beam housing.

I was thinking of doing that, but that's a tight space especially with the backing on...

I would be worried that the inverter would heat up way too much from the heat from the highbeams when on...

Speaking of shrink wrap I have to go and buy some....I'm not having any luck with soldering

Old 04-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #26
BennyL
7th Gear Member

oh man, i wish i didn't suck at elecrtical stuff as badly as i do...

i dont know what its gonna be like once i have to install mine.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #27
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
oh man, i wish i didn't suck at elecrtical stuff as badly as i do...

i dont know what its gonna be like once i have to install mine.
Very very easy to install, I found it to be bit of a joke after I had everything installed.. do you have your rings installed yet?

As for the wiring you plug in the new harness(4 ends with brown,yellow,grey and white) match them to the colours underneath, I used a little mirror to see what color goes where. They are different for both sides.
Install the lights back into the car and screw them down.
Now plug in the 2 harness(9006,9005) to the ones in the car.
With the corner bulbs removed, you want to skin some of the plastic off your corner bulbs wires, the yellow wire on passengers side is power for your eyes(not brown)the other one, skin part of the brown wire and connect it to your eyes(brown to brown), skin part of the purple wire on drivers side connected to corner bulb on drivers side and connect to angel eyes. Skin part of the brown wire and attach to the brown wire on inverter. And then you are done, make sure all your wires are well conected and taped or shrink wrapped..

Old 04-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #28
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is
I was thinking of doing that, but that's a tight space especially with the backing on...

I would be worried that the inverter would heat up way too much from the heat from the highbeams when on...

Speaking of shrink wrap I have to go and buy some....I'm not having any luck with soldering
Yeah you're right about the space but I don't think that the heat from the high beams will affect the inverter as I don't think the daylights heat up that much and I almost never use my highs.
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #29
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I have three of these rings for sale in the FS section. They're impossible to get an aftermarket match too, even other 6000K units dont match it perfectly. I did the complete swap to e46 rings, and have my 3 original working rings if you guys want to complete your sets

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #30
BMWF1

thats for the information justin...its been a long time since a drove a 3er

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: