Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #31
ara325
holy old school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one
try finding 235/40/18's. my tires cost at least 200$ each for cheapies, PS2's would be like 2K for 4
YIKES!

If i'm understanding your previous post before, it looks like you have/had 712's in the back and es100's in the front. Which one's are you happier with...I understand that it's hard to judge rear tires from front, but maybe you can give me a general idea.

ethirty
ara325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #32
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara325
So, what's the traction rating on the ES100's?...they're just saying highest possible. I've called about 5-6 tire places and not one of them has recommended the Kumho's over the Yok's. As a matter of fact, they're all saying that the es100's are a great tire for the price...of course they want to make a sale too, but they could be pitching me other tires as well.

I know that better tires exist (obviously), but i'm sick and tired of wasting a lot of money on tires that only last a couple seasons max...if that. And finding 225/45/16 used is like looking for a needle in a haystsack.

If there's other good tires you guys can think of in the same range as the above, please let me know...i'd like to check them out.
The AA rating is EASY to achieve. Every even half-assed performance tire can manage it.

In 225/45/16 get Kumho SPTs (which are better than ES100s) or the ultimate, the Hankook RS-2. They're both cheaper than the ES100 and a lot better tires all around.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #33
ara325
holy old school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
The AA rating is EASY to achieve. Every even half-assed performance tire can manage it.

In 225/45/16 get Kumho SPTs (which are better than ES100s) or the ultimate, the Hankook RS-2. They're both cheaper than the ES100 and a lot better tires all around.
Thx

I checked out the SPT's and they're not bad either...looks like good water channelling and more centre rib...and ~$25 less/tire than the es100's. But, it's 2 days delivery and i want to get them on Sat, so it's most probably going to be the es100's.

Then it's off to get my o2 sensor...faaaaack, this better solve my problem

bye-bye tax refund...or part thereof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kumho SPT.jpg (6.2 KB, 100 views)

ethirty

Last edited by ara325; 04-27-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #34
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

^^^
Thanks for the input Jay. Im still super curious about the Vredstein Sport Trac 2's tho, cuz I hear amazing things about them, but have never heard of the tire. To make things more interesting a buddy of my dads offered me 2 brand new installed at a hell of a price so im thinking of going with them which is why im looking for any feedback first.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 AM   #35
Mystikal

Quote:
Thx

I checked out the SPT's and they're not bad either...looks like good water channelling and more centre rib...and ~$25 less/tire than the es100's. But, it's 2 days delivery and i want to get them on Sat, so it's most probably going to be the es100's.

Are you seriously going to compromise your tires (really the most important part of any car) because of a one-day holdup?

Find somewhere that has them in stock. Wheels Direct would be my first try, their warehouse is huge.

@stancejay
Old 04-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #36
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

Quote:
Thx

ARA do not buy your O2 from the dealer or anywhere other than ebay, you can find original bosch ones for about 65 bucks US, as appose to over 200 at the dealer
Old 04-28-2006, 02:26 AM   #37
Gamite

bottom line on 712's, awesome tires out of the box.

after 2 months, u wish you didn't buy them. loud, wear fairly quick. traction also considerably decreases.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:47 AM   #38
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
I think i'm going with Yok's AVS es 100

any comments about them? I've had Yok's A520 and they were awesome so i'm sure these should be decent...they share somewhat similar water channeling tread design.
Have had them for a year now. Don't recommend them. The wear on them is incredible to be honest... considering I had them on all of summer 2005, and didn't put my winter tires on until January '06, and all 4 are still over 90% tread left. They are very sticky in the dry, not too bad in the wet. They are horrible when it gets cold though. They can get a bit loud when inflated above 34PSI, which doesn't really bother me too much... I'm not driving a 7er.

My problem with them is tire squirm... it's ridiculously horrible. My winter tires (Viking Snow Tech's) are even more pleasurable for city driving. Regardless of the fact that it's on a 16" rim which adds ride comfort, they simply drive straight. I can keep my hands off the steering wheel and hit a pot hole, and the car won't lurch to the side... she'll keep going straight. The ES100's on the other hand are a constant battle with the steering wheel... it's always pulling to one side or the other, following the grooves of the road. If I come to a stop light and let go of the steering wheel, the wheel will jerk randomly in both directions a good 15 times before I stop half way in another lane. It looks like my steering wheel has Parkinson's. I've recently been playing more with tire pressures, and I find that pumping them up to 38PSI helps quite a bit, though not totally. Very uncool.. so much so that I just picked up some new Pirelli's for the front... so looks like I'll be mixing tires for a while, as I'll keep the Yoko's on the back, can't afford brand new Pirelli 255 tires.

I can't compare to many other summer tires. Only Potenza's, and Kumho 712's... both of which didn't squirm as much for me, though neither sets were a staggered setup. The Kumho's wore horribly quick, and I didn't feel confident with them in the rain.

When I put the new tires on, I will be able to judge more accurately if the problems I've had are truly a trait of the tires, or if it's just my setup.

The only way I would recommend you buy the ES100's at this point, is if you're looking for 225/40/18's.. in which case, I'll have a pair up for sale soon.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #39
ara325
holy old school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Are you seriously going to compromise your tires (really the most important part of any car) because of a one-day holdup?

Find somewhere that has them in stock. Wheels Direct would be my first try, their warehouse is huge.
No, the delivery is not the biggest reason...I personally like the es design much better than the Kumho's, and i've had Yoke's and feel more comfortable going with a recognized brand. IMO, the Kumho's look like an aggressive all-season radial and the general feeling i'm getting is that the Yok's are the wiser choice.

Sounds like neither one of these tires are really that good, so i just might do some more shopping on lunch hour today, or just say "farg it" and buy a set already!

BTW, one of the main reasons i'm looking at these lines of tires is b/c i don't want to drop big bucks?...Wheels Direct is pretty expensive...up there with Tiremag. The least expensive place I found was Tire World in Brampton.

ethirty
Old 04-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #40
ara325
holy old school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor318is
ARA do not buy your O2 from the dealer or anywhere other than ebay, you can find original bosch ones for about 65 bucks US, as appose to over 200 at the dealer
Thanks Al, i'm actually buying Bosch OEM from an aftermarket dealer for like $90. By the time i land the US order (net of exchange, duty, & taxes) i'll only save like $3.
Do you like your Kumho's? What model do you have?

Julian & Justin: thx for your input. Justin, I know what you mean about tire squirm, as I used to have a set of BS Potenza RE something or another (they had like 2 or 3 different tread patterns on one tire) and they followed every crack in the road. To your point though, keep the tires well inflated and it should be better. It's comfotable driving on 33 psi tires, but you can't match the performance at 38-44 psi.

ethirty

Last edited by ara325; 04-28-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #41
ara325
holy old school...

decisions, decisions...well i just found out that the 712's are discontinued, so now it's the SPT or ES100.

http://www.wheelmax.com/tire_list.asp#AVS%20ES100

ethirty
Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #42
EuroSpectacle
88iS

Send a message via MSN to EuroSpectacle
discontinued or superceeded.. Theres prolly new supra's
EuroSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #43
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

Stay away from 712's. it about time they are discontinued.

Like I said before Yokes are the way to go, dont bother with Kumho(I don't care if their MX line is good or not, thats not what youre looking to get anyway). All my posts were from experience of using various tires over 17 years. Ive had Generals, Dunlops, Michelins, Goodyear Eagle, Potenzas, Toyo, yokohama, Kumhos etc etc even crappy tire versions

What I.m really saying is that some tire companys put alot of R&D into their development of tires and the quality shows through even after surpassing the halfway mark of treadwear and Yokohama has always produced a quality tire through their range and line-up. Heck even my old Avid H4's were better than the 712's

Last edited by WhadUpp; 04-28-2006 at 03:17 PM.
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #44
ara325
holy old school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhadUpp
Stay away from 712's. it about time they are discontinued.

Like I said before Yokes are the way to go, dont bother with Kumho(I don't care if their MX line is good or not, thats not what youre looking to get anyway). All my posts were from experience of using various tires over 17 years. Ive had Generals, Dunlops, Michelins, Goodyear Eagle, Potenzas, Toyo, yokohama, Kumhos etc etc even crappy tire versions

What I.m really saying is that some tire companys put alot of R&D into their development of tires and the quality shows through even after surpassing the halfway mark of treadwear and Yokohama has always produced a quality tire through their range and line-up. Heck even my old Avid H4's were better than the 712's
thx dude! as much as i've been shopping, getting opinions (which sometimes makes it even harder) and checking out tires, I keep reverting back to the Yokies. Looks like that what i'll be going with.

Ignorance may have been easier for me here "I didn't know these tires were shit" NO, NO...j/k. I really do appreciate everyone's input.

ethirty
Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #45
Mystikal

Reading this thread is making me cry/scream/punch/kick/throw things.

I quit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: