Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

CCFL angel eyes not working??

Ok i washed my car, and i was scared about the wiring getting ****ed up or anything like that...but i did it anyway, no problems. 20min later stopped at a buddies house i noticed 2 rings were off, i play wiht 1 headlight and that ring goes on but the pass side headlight one isnt fixing. The other ring was struggling to light up, so playing with the wires worked. I tried with the pass. side but it didnt do anything, also my low beam doesnt ever want to turn on for this side. I started playing with the wiring, and checking where i splcied in the angel eyes and then both of them go off. Also the pin for the white wire in the harness came off so now i cant plug it in, because its the bare wire just stickin out...how do i fix this?? Can i just buy a new harness?? Also I noticed both the converters were very hot, I parked the car now and im gonnna check it in about an hour, where else should i check or how should i check?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Andy E34

Send a message via MSN to Andy E34
That sucks, washed mine today and ended up fogging up pass side lens...but other wise NP (did the car wash thing and they shopped the line while my car was getting soap'd and sprayed...for about 3 minutes so it was a good test.
Bare wires sounds like something got pulled a bit (maybe right off the connecotrs in in inverter/ module? You might want to 1st swap modules to see if the problem moves with the module or stays with the headlight assembly. I think the modules can be snapped open if the module is the problem (I put velcro on the back of mide and stuck them to the cover of the highbeam where you change the H1 light bulb...pushing the vecro on the back of the module the back flexed in a bit so I think it just snaps into the back)
It might just be a wire has come off or is shorted?? You said you had bare wires...bare wire bad!...especially when your washing the car!
Good luck!
Andy E34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

no no, this was after when i was playing with the wiring, i pulled the harness off the 4 pins...but the part that slides over the pin came off the wire...so it isnt stuck 100%

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #4
bimmer318ti
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to bimmer318ti
2 of my rings stoped working too.. i took the full thing apart and tried the rings ..and they are dead .. also need new rings.. suggestions? I'm thinking of going Demon eye rings 7500k 9the yare visable in the day time) on the low beams and regular 6000k rings on the high beams
Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
BMWFORLIFE
Technoviolet Shifting

alrihgt...so becuase it took me for ever to put mine in because i hads the same problems.....these are the steps to check....first check fuse...make sure thats working...then the hnarness has a tendency to come off...meaning the wires tend to come out of this socket......so make sure those are secure.......but loose connections and water...dont make a good match.....i bought silicone and used eletric wheather stripping tape to wrap it up...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
bimmer318ti
6th Gear Member

checked my rings but having them directly to the battery.. dead..

i might just get these: http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E36-Ultra-Bri...QQcmdZViewItem

but it comes with 4.. anyone need 2 ?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

ill take what you dont need?

BTW the wiring on the headlights became loose and stuff AFTER i washed it, about 1hr after.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:03 AM   #8
SUPERCHARGED
5th Gear Member

2 of my rings have been going on and off for the past couple of month. i just gave up and got a set of these, http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490482
Old 04-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King

Hey guys, I still didn't install my headlights yet , but I'm anticipating that my CCFLs will burn out quickly (you get what you pay for). I don't know if going to EBay is a great solution. Personally, I would buy the AEs from Umnitza ... just a thought.
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
bimmer318ti
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSchnitzer
Hey guys, I still didn't install my headlights yet , but I'm anticipating that my CCFLs will burn out quickly (you get what you pay for). I don't know if going to EBay is a great solution. Personally, I would buy the AEs from Umnitza ... just a thought.

the depo's without the angels will be fine forsure... but if you want to sell your angels rings.. i'll take them
Old 04-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King

no I'm not selling them, i'll just wait 'til one blows ... then I'll sell the leftovers
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Andy E34

Hmmm, sounds like angel eye failures are commonplace? Well I am at 4 days and counting with no issues (other than my 1st problem with the ground in on the Depo connector itself)
I think I will clean up all of my connections and wire management this weekend to make sure that at least I wont have shorts or stupid wiring problems (or water dammage of the module and connectors) and hope for the best on lifespan...
I am going to add some switches to turn them on and off as well!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #13
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

oh man, do i ever feel stupid...well i overlooked the most obvious thing, THE FUSE! I replaced it because i noticed it was popped and it worked. So i still stand by my statement...saying that these angel eyes with the depos, for the price we paid is the best deal no question..its half the cost of umnitza with the same thing!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:53 AM   #14
BMWFORLIFE
Technoviolet Shifting

jonny...told u man...i was freaking out for 2 days becauesr i couldn't figure it out and Paul told me my fuse was blown boy did i feel dumb
Old 04-21-2006, 08:11 AM   #15
Andy E34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_blaze
oh man, do i ever feel stupid...well i overlooked the most obvious thing, THE FUSE! I replaced it because i noticed it was popped and it worked. So i still stand by my statement...saying that these angel eyes with the depos, for the price we paid is the best deal no question..its half the cost of umnitza with the same thing!
Good to hear it was the fuse! Other than the cold solder joint on the Depo connector pins being screwed, my angel eyes are working great (now I am watching them like a crazy person...watching for reflections in the back of other cars...just waiting for a failure, guess I can relax a bit and just watch my fuses...BTW which fuse was blown?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: