Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
flex_318
3rd Gear Member

Which taillights to get?

I have been wondering as to what type of taillights i should buy. I have been leaning towards the O.E. clear tails although i might buy the crystal clear ones becausethey are about half the price. Im not sure so i was wondering if you guys could help me out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW 318ti with German Clear Tail lights.jpg (52.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg O.E. clear taillights.jpg (32.0 KB, 137 views)
flex_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Get OE and save yourself from all the OBC 'taillight failure' messages.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Furious
BMW again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
+1 Oe is the way to go
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I don't think 318ti's have OBCs...and even the optional ones are to crappy to tell you that the lights have burned out.

And about the taillights...it's tough decision, depends on the colour of your car. I don't think clear tails and signals match a white car but they look HOT on a dark colour car. If your car is white, go OEM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I've had 4 different tail light styles in my car... and I settled on the crystal tails. One of the main reasons for me was how they were designed. The OEM design had those (stupid design) light bulb holders, where you plug the bulb in the holder, then twist the holder into the tail light housing.. which constantly gave me problems with bad contacts. The other reason was the fitament issues, the crystal tails were just built a whole lot better... no worries about water leaking in, or of the tail light not fitting like OEM. The third reason for me, was that I've been wanting to do the rear foglight conversion for a while, I bought the foglight switch already too.. and the crystal tails I picked up from Germany is already prewired and ready to go for this.

Crystal tails won't throw the OBC message, as the holders are hardwired unlike the knockoff OE style white/red tails, which try to follow the OE design. TI's don't have brake light circuit OBC's anyway.

With that said, it comes down to the look you're going for really. Knockoff white/red tails are usually just headaches waiting to happen... they're usually cheaply manufacturered, with only one lens (not double lensed.) The OEM red/white tails from the dealership, though they follow BMW's horrible design, are still going to present the least amount of problems for the OE look. The least chance of contacts going, burnt holders, and water leaks.

With that said, I think it depends on what other mods your car has on it... most people just do the usual e36 M3 upgrades.. in which case, I think the red/white classic look tails look better.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
jboy_328
2nd Gear Member

I'm interested in getting a set like these too. Did the conclusion we came across say get the stock OEM taillights from the dealer? Are they hella expensive?

Is getting the knockoff's really that bad?
jboy_328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Yes, stock from the dealer... but they're expensive.

And yes, knockoffs really are that bad. You're constantly babysitting them, resolving problems and what not... plus some people have fitament issues with them, where they stick out a bit and stuff.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King

I just ordered smoked all around because my car is black. I ordered them from Umnitza but I'm not sure about the quality.
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
jboy_328
2nd Gear Member

oic then...

I'm getting clear corners and tail lights quoted from the dealer right now, man i should have just got an M3...haha lol

Corners would be the same story? just go stock?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
flex_318
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
With that said, I think it depends on what other mods your car has on it... most people just do the usual e36 M3 upgrades.. in which case, I think the red/white classic look tails look better.
You guys might have seen my Ti. It was the project Eurostyle was working on. Ill try and get some pictures to show u guys the car even though i havent finished it yet.
flex_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSchnitzer
I just ordered smoked all around because my car is black. I ordered them from Umnitza but I'm not sure about the quality.
Let us know about the quality.. would like to see some pics of the back before you install them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy_328
oic then...

I'm getting clear corners and tail lights quoted from the dealer right now, man i should have just got an M3...haha lol

Corners would be the same story? just go stock?
Actually red/white tails are not "M3 tails"... M3's came with the same yellow signals as the rest of us, but the "white lights" as the dealer calls it, was an option. It still is on newer BMW's too.

Corners I've found them all to be pretty much the same thing. Sometimes the pin on them breaks easily, but it's not really a big deal.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
jboy_328
2nd Gear Member

yea i just noticed that too, I called the dealer here in london, and they are about 250 a piece. That seems pretty expensive. Has anyone seen any DIY's where u can change the amber film to clear or anything like that on the net? I figure it'd be worth trying for a 500 dollar savings.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King

Umnitza smoked tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Let us know about the quality.. would like to see some pics of the back before you install them.
So after days and days of waiting, I finally just received my Umnitza smoked corners, sides and tails.

My initial thought is that they are great quality for the price.

Justin, I'll post pics of the tails later on tonight.

Joe
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: