Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-17-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
cmotd
2nd Gear Member

E36 M3 specs?

I left a msg here a while ago about whether I should buy a 318is as an entry point into sporty beamer (that what we calls them here in orstraya) land. I have since decided not to go that way and am now thinking of buying a '94, '95 M3 as I realised I can get one for a reasonable price here (as in less than I would spend on a good 318 + mods) I can't find any specs for it though, can someone point me to a good place to get info about them? Thanks!
cmotd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
BennyL
7th Gear Member

I believe the S50 engine puts out 286 HP... correct me if I'm wrong.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

94 M3 is Eurospec (only 45) and have 286HP, and will cost you a premium (not worth it without an autobahn in my opinion). 95 is a 3.0L 240hp/228tq (torque # off the top of my head....close to this anyways), 96+ is upped to a 3.2L 240hp/236tq.....I went with a '96. Oh you're in Australia.....wish I saw that before I posted .......ummm yeah if you have Eurospec there you'll have 286 hp before the evo, 321 after......lucky you.
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
cmotd
2nd Gear Member

The cost is strangely low, which is why I decided to get one. They seem to depreciate a lot here or something (??) I can get an immaculate single owner, full service history & < 70,000kms '94, '95 M3 for about double what a good 318is is of the same age. So I figure that's a good deal! Insurance is a lot more of course, but I'll have an M3

What's this about Eurospec?? Are there different versions of the same cars? We drive on the left side of the road here and I think we get our cars from the same shipments made for the UK market as they do the same over there. So the '94 has 46 bhp MORE than the later ones? And can you please explain this 'evo' that you mention. Is that a factory variant or some sort of after market mod? Thanks for the help, I originaly tried google but it wasn't much help with cars of this era. As for the autobahn, We have a race track in Sydney called Eastern Creek that is available for public use two weekends a month and BMW use it as the location for their driver training as well so no worries there. Plus we've got plenty of nice quiet winding country roads in our sparsely populated hinterlands, much more fun than autobahns I might have to spoil the lines of the beamer with a big bull bar to keep the 'roos off my bonnet though.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
Zim Zimma
3rd Gear Member

Australia may have got the Euro spec M3's....Basically Europe and North America have different regulations on vehicles( emissions, crash test etc)...North america is much stricter so we get De-tuned versions of the same car....We only got 45 "Eurospec" M3's which were produced in 94.....Australia might have gotten the 94 m3's....I cant really tell tho..

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/

That will give you an idea to the different M model line ups...
Zim Zimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
cmotd
2nd Gear Member

IC! Thanks for that link. I guess I'll have to find some local bmw fans to get more specific info.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Pretty much every country but the US got the real S50 engines. Unfortunately we only for 45 of them in 94, then got the US spec version from 97-99 (no 95-96 originally in Canada).

It's more a 'rest of the world spec' then a euro spec.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #8
superman123
slushbox champion

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=15

there u got just go to faq for the other models (all u wanne know about m models )
and u cant get more specific then that

Last edited by superman123; 04-19-2006 at 12:46 AM.
superman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
cmotd
2nd Gear Member

Thanks again chaps. I found a local bmw owners club and a lot of the members have E30 & E36 M3s that they race regularly (they mostly all old fat guys with loads of money, er... apologese to any older girth-challenged bimmer members reading this hehe) with some good advice. One of the guys there always wins their races (cars are all stock) with a 4cyl. E30 M3, reckons the balance & weight are better than the 6cyl. E36s for track racing (the local track is pretty tight & twisty) But I'll be buggered if I can find any pre-loved E30 M3s anywhere, I think they've all been raced & smashed to bits

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: