Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
controlyar
1st Gear Newbie

Lowering Springs

Well I just got M6 replica wheels installed and it looks . Something like this

But now my ride rubs when going over any bumps - driving over railway tracks is very tricky. I can barely fit my pinky between the front tire and fender. I don't think rolling the fenders is going to help for some reason, since the tires seem reasonably tucked in.

Rims are 18x8 and tires are 225/40/R18 all around. Car is a 2000 328Ci. Winter rubber fits fine though - 205/55/R16.

My car came with Rennsport lowering springs when I bought it. I need to raise it slightly (say 0.5"-1") , but don't want a 4x4 look.

Does anyone know the F/R drop on the Rennsport springs ? I think BC Auto sells them - http://www.bcautodesign.com/www.bcau...Rennsport.html

I know the car currently has a raked look.

How much would the car be raised going back to stock sports springs ?

What about Eibach springs - I think they offer a minimal drop. Coilovers don't make sense for me to put on, unless I can get a crazy deal on them.

Any advice is appreciated.
controlyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Fk & Rmpmotors

Hey, talk to RMPMOTORS (Rocco) on this site in regards to FK springs.
I'm getting my car dropped soon by him.

There have been great feedbacks on Rocco.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
First off, congrats on owning the sexiest OEM BMW rims available... beautiful.

The Eibach Pro's offer a 1.5" front, and 1.0" rear drop on the e46. RMP Motors (www.rmpmotors.com) is an official FK distributer and installer.

I would honestly try just rolling the front fenders first, or finding out what exactly they're rubbing on before you go investing your money on new springs.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
controlyar
1st Gear Newbie

After some investigation, it looks like only the top of the front wheel well liner is rubbing. I applied a paste of flour and water to the wheel and confirmed this is what is happening. It looks like there is 1" to 1 1/8" of gap between the closest point of the tire and the top of the wheel well liner. There is another place where the gap is only 0.5" (one pinky), where the two fender liners meet, but that is not the problem.

The front wheel wells already seem to have the fenders fairly narrow, and rolling may only buy another 1/8", if even - thats not the issue though. The rear is probably OK, since it looks like the tire is able to tuck into the wheel well - if I had gone staggered, then a roll would help for sure.

Also, the lowest point of the body measures about 3.75" from the ground. The front liner is only about 2.5" off the ground.

I guess my options are :

1) Get less aggresive springs.

2) Move to a lower profile tire, which I don't want to do.

3) Cut out the liner

4) Live with it - it only rubs maybe once per day if I am careful. Can the liner/tire take the abuse?

Someone
here has the same problem as me. And there is mention of an FK suspension kit too.

Its nice to have the ride lowered, but its at the point where its not really practical.
controlyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: