Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-12-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

Intake question.

Quick question. Is there a difference between the intake piping on a 92-93 with a 94-95? I bought a carbonio short ram intake from a max member last fall, and never attempted to put it in until the other day. I tried playing with the orientation of the cone and the arm, and nothing works. The only way it would fit, is if I attach it before the MAF sensor. So obviously this cant be done. The intake itself is a plain Short ram arm and a cone with a coupling holding th two together, and the support arm.

If I cant get this to work, I will need to find a new system, and put this one for sale.
Ital_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

anybody??????
Old 04-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
so your saying its too long? Ill bet 2-1 that the previous owner bought it and it didnt fit either so he sold it..

anywho im pretty sure the size is the same. my suggestion would be ditch it and get a new system.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
same intake, but if you have has elipsoids, it'll be a tight fit. If your car has elipsoids and headlight washers, it won't fit.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:22 AM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Correction, if you have ellipsoids and washers it will fit, it'll just be super tight. I had my intake extended way down into my bumper to eliminate those issues.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #6
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
My mistake. Don't know why I thought Carbonio won't fit with headlight washers + ellipsoids... maybe it's another manufacturer I'm thinking of..
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
My mistake. Don't know why I thought Carbonio won't fit with headlight washers + ellipsoids... maybe it's another manufacturer I'm thinking of..
Nope, you're not mistaken, it says right on their website. I'm the reason they put up that warning. I'm just stating if someone wanted to get one, and you REALLY want to make it work, it will. They just don't recommend it, and for good reason, it's a very tight fit.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-16-2006, 01:52 AM   #8
Stuttgart
Bmw = Bought My Wife

Send a message via MSN to Stuttgart
post pics if u can, I wanna see how close it really is. Thanks!

89 325i sold
92 325i S52 OBD1 RIP
88 190e 5speed RIP
95 e320 SE RIP
93 190e Daily
08 c350 Summer

03 GSXR 600 RIP
04 CBR 600RR
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
I'm more interested in sticking my banana into the girl on your hood.
Stuttgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

it will fit, but very snug. thinair pointed this out before i bought mine.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:30 AM   #10
SickFinga

What headlight washer has to do with CAI fitment? Washer fluid tank is on the other side.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #11
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

SickFinga, its a short ram not a CAI, but in any sense, I dont see why washers would interfere.

I dont have ellipsoid nor washers, so I dont know what is the problem. The cone itself fits behind the headlight, after I remove the intake duct, but the arm itself is a tad too long. If I were to shave it down it would actually fit, but I dont want to ruin a perfectly good arm. Thats why my question is if it would fit an earlier year, so that I could sell it to someone who could use it.

Also if I were to install it at the MAF attachment point, it would fit fine, but then the MAF would not be connected, and obviously not what I want.

I checked out another engine bay with a short ram, and the whole attachement has the holes for the MAF to fit in, and fits perfectly, even with the intake duct still in place.

I have the larger(longer) cone, so possibly by purchasing a smaller cone this may fit. Just trying to see what my options are before I put it up for sale.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
What headlight washer has to do with CAI fitment? Washer fluid tank is on the other side.
it has nothing to do with the tank, it's the driverside headlight washer jet that was obstructing mine.

And I don't really consider the carbonio intake short ram by any means....
http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/motor.jpg
Old 04-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
it has nothing to do with the tank, it's the driverside headlight washer jet that was obstructing mine.

And I don't really consider the carbonio intake short ram by any means....
http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/motor.jpg
Ive checked out your picture, and tried, situating it the same, but no luck, there is no clearance from the cone. Do you have a picture of what your cone looks like. I have a feeling the cone is too long.

Also, there is a sensor that connects to the air box, that is held in with a 10mm screw. Its located on the reverse of the airbox. There is no place to insert this sensor on the arm of the intake. I dont think that it should just be hanging.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

The 96+ cars don't have that sensor.

here is the cone:
Old 04-18-2006, 01:02 AM   #15
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ital_325i
SickFinga, its a short ram not a CAI, but in any sense, I dont see why washers would interfere.
Short ram?? How is it ram hidden behind your headlight??

And guys, there is enought roof for intake in there.
Here is my car with headlight washer, power steering reservoir, MAF and all behind ZKW.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: