Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
kuds
I take pictures

Unhappy Came back from dealership, no good news...

I went to the dealership today, to do a complete check of the car, since I've been driving it only for a couple of weeks and wanted to see if I needed to fix anything. I was expecting to get good news as I haven't been experiencing many problems with the car, and I had money saved up for new paint job.

After 2hrs of waiting, I was told that I need to change all of the following:

Rack & Pinion
Power Steering pump
Guibo disc
About 10 seals and hoses.

If I were to go thru the dealership, it would cost me around 5 000$ to do everything Needless to say, I told them that I would take it somewhere else to fix it, but to be truly honest, I am not so sure if I want to fix it. I shopped around when I got home and it would most likely cost me around 2 000$ to get everything done.

The car is a 92 318is with 285 000km. I guess I am just looking for comfort and advice on what I should do, as I am borderline of putting the car up for sale. Already put my rims up on another forum...
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
honestly kuds.. ou can get all that fixed for well under $1000, especially with 318 parts. Also, things like the rack & pinion, and power steering pump can be rebuilt for even cheaper. I'd like to know whats wrong with those parts though.

The things of priority I would change right away are the usual wear & tear items... guibo, and the seals / hoses.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
kuds
I take pictures

I was told that the parts are leaking. Some of the hoses are related to the power steering, and cost 200-300$ new. I wasn't able to find them for cheap, at least not yet. I actually got some very decent prices on a rebuilt pump and rack & pinion, but it's really the hoses that kill ya...
Old 04-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
E36 Power
DEFINE GF

Check out Charlie @ Bimmersport Automotive! My $0.02
Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

^^He's in Montreal. Rack and Peanut went on mine, it was the seal so all the fluid was leaking into the boot $1100 from BM, got a rebuilt for $550 installed with lifetime warranty. As I stated in another post, you could do it yourself with the right tools but go for an alignment right away.... It sucks man, and I know how you feel...

Quick Question what is a Guibo Disc?

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
kuds
I take pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is
^^He's in Montreal. Rack and Peanut went on mine, it was the seal so all the fluid was leaking into the boot $1100 from BM, got a rebuilt for $550 installed with lifetime warranty. As I stated in another post, you could do it yourself with the right tools but go for an alignment right away.... It sucks man, and I know how you feel...

Quick Question what is a Guibo Disc?
Yeah, I found a rack & peanut (as u call it...) for 248$ (rebuilt with 6 month warranty). I also had no clue what a guibo is, it just doesn't sound like a car part. It's a piece that prevents grinding in the differential (or something like that). Symptom of a dying guibo is the car jumping in the rear when you change gears.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
the drivetrain guibo is also known as the flex disc.

It's a rubber disc to help reduce drivetrain noise, it goes between the driveshaft and transmission, here's a pic of one that is starting to get torn up..

Note that 318 and 325+ guibos are different, the 318's are usually cheaper.. around $60-$80 or so.

You can usually tell when your guibo is going when lifting off the accelerator on a downhill, if you hear an audible knocking or clicking noise under the vehicle, then inspect the guibo for stress cracks.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Ahh ok, makes sense, I'd definatly change that and the rack.. Get that puppy ready and come to Ottawa for the spring cruise in May.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
kuds
I take pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is
Ahh ok, makes sense, I'd definatly change that and the rack.. Get that puppy ready and come to Ottawa for the spring cruise in May.
Thank for the encouragement guys, I must say I was kinda down today. I'll definitly try to make it in May, though the car probably won't be painted by then.

I'm definitly getting the ball rolling on ordering all these parts tomorrow morning.
Cheers.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:51 PM   #10
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

^^ You want to really get down? Do you have a sunroof...hhihieheheh

Look at it this way, it was bound to brake sooner or later, at least you can fix it now and your car will be good to go for the summer. It's better to brake now then half-way through the summer when you are stuck without cash and can't fix it...

Old 04-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

I just went throught this with the $300 dollar Steering line.
Mine snapped I was able to get it rewelded!

if it;s "leaking" and you can't find any visible corrosion holes i could just be a copper washer?
I had 1 of these washers go on the side of my rad, was leaking coolant.
That was scary!
So imagine my surprise when the mech i use, just put a new washer on for free, Fixed!

Also are your Tie Rod ends brand spanking new ( u didn't mention)??
cause those will cause Steering play & do wear out regularly!!
also front control arm bushings can cause steering issues!
but racks do go....

Stealers love to RAPE people! so Don't trust them or go to them!

pelicanparts.com has decent prices for referance but is the U.S.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2006, 12:36 AM   #12
superman123
slushbox champion

i have a pump and rack for sale ...i posted a thread in the for sale section
superman123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: