Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-31-2002, 12:46 AM   #1
bart320i
6th Gear Member

who has fiberglass front end

Who here is using fiberglass front skirts? If anyone has had anyproblems with them please let me know. I'm gonna be running with a racing dynamics fiberglass bumper cover. Since the whole unit is polyurethened onto the original bumper is there any reduced chance it won't break if I touch a speed bump or curb? I couldn't find a urethene or abs unit so I just bought fiber glass one. If it does break isn't fiber glass easy to fix?
Old 10-31-2002, 04:55 PM   #2
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
If it sits flush with the existing bumper it will absorb shock much better than a hollow fiberglass fascia

When i use a 100% fiberglass bumper, i usually fill in all the spaces with spray foam to give it strength. The stuff will seep into all the unused spaces and turn hard and you can cut off the excess after it dries to make it look nice.
You can also rienforce the fascia with more fiberglass or pure fiberglass resin, but it will add weight to the bumper as well.
The main culprit is flexing. Fiberglass has flex to it but not much. If it flexes too much it will crack. The use of the spray foam in the bumper causes the bumper to flex less and acts as sort of a shock absorber.

Fiberglass does crack or crunch if it hits something hard enough, especially if it's made with less than 7 layers of the stuff. You may also get pits and knicks in the bumper from large stones on the highway bouncing off the bumper.

The upside is that it's really easy to fix, but you have to deal with repainting again afterwards.

When you get it painted, make sure they use a flexing agent in the paint so that if you do happen to scrape (and you will, everyone does =) the paint wont chip off or cause spiderweb cracks everywhere. You want the paint to flex with the bumper, but they dont want to use too much flex to the point where the paint is like a rubbercoating and will peel off =)

P.S. the spray foam is actually Spray Insulation by companies like Mono. You can pickup cans of it from home depot or crappy tire.
But i wouldn't do it in your case since it sounds like the fascia fits flush with the bumper and doesn't require anything to strengthen it

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 10-31-2002 at 05:10 PM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:14 PM   #3
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Mine if fiberglass and I have no problems with it all. Just don't hit any curbs.

SL

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:34 PM   #4
mkgino
6th Gear Member

You will regret it I think. You shouldnt be cheap when modding a car because it will either look crapy or it wont last and you will regret it in the end.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:44 PM   #5
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
If it sits flush with the existing bumper it will absorb shock much better than a hollow fiberglass fascia

When i use a 100% fiberglass bumper, i usually fill in all the spaces with spray foam to give it strength. The stuff will seep into all the unused spaces and turn hard and you can cut off the excess after it dries to make it look nice.
You can also rienforce the fascia with more fiberglass or pure fiberglass resin, but it will add weight to the bumper as well.
The main culprit is flexing. Fiberglass has flex to it but not much. If it flexes too much it will crack. The use of the spray foam in the bumper causes the bumper to flex less and acts as sort of a shock absorber.

Fiberglass does crack or crunch if it hits something hard enough, especially if it's made with less than 7 layers of the stuff. You may also get pits and knicks in the bumper from large stones on the highway bouncing off the bumper.

The upside is that it's really easy to fix, but you have to deal with repainting again afterwards.

When you get it painted, make sure they use a flexing agent in the paint so that if you do happen to scrape (and you will, everyone does =) the paint wont chip off or cause spiderweb cracks everywhere. You want the paint to flex with the bumper, but they dont want to use too much flex to the point where the paint is like a rubbercoating and will peel off =)

P.S. the spray foam is actually Spray Insulation by companies like Mono. You can pickup cans of it from home depot or crappy tire.
But i wouldn't do it in your case since it sounds like the fascia fits flush with the bumper and doesn't require anything to strengthen it

I woudnt use the insulation foam on fiberglass!!! One of my customers used it on a skirt and it melted the fiberglass!!!! I think it depends on the brand but wouldnt take the risk!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:07 PM   #6
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Quote:
Originally posted by Eurostyle

I woudnt use the insulation foam on fiberglass!!! One of my customers used it on a skirt and it melted the fiberglass!!!! I think it depends on the brand but wouldnt take the risk!!!
The mono stuff i use hasn't melted any yet so i guess it's pretty safe. Can you recommend any other methods or products that do essentially the same thing? I think i used MONO brand

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:15 PM   #7
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra

The mono stuff i use hasn't melted any yet so i guess it's pretty safe. Can you recommend any other methods or products that do essentially the same thing? I think i used MONO brand

I dont know what brand was used in this case, but in general i dont like molding plastic and fiberglass together...in most cases it will crack! The thing about fiberglass is to gat a GOOD piece that will fit RIGHT! Some european kit are SO good they already have all the brackets and they just bolt on! No body work needed AT ALL!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 08:14 PM   #8
WASABI
OG

I have a fiberglass bumper add-on. No problems so far (knockin on wood). I sometimes scrape the bottom going up my driveway and there are scratches on either sides. I hit a curb once and I thought shiet it's broken but it wasn't. Looking at it closely, you can see stonechips, but who doesn't have that. All I can say is just be careful when you drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jas_hwy4.jpg (29.7 KB, 284 views)
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 02:05 PM   #9
Adriano
Who's your daddy now?

Send a message via MSN to Adriano
The problems I had is with Zeemax and their crappy products. Mabe only in my case that fiberglass body parts fit like sh$#! The other thing is that the smallest stone will chip the hell out of the paint.

Agent BMW trailer

Last edited by Adriano; 11-02-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Adriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 02:26 PM   #10
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I've been using a fiberglass body kit for years and had absolutely no problems at all. At first I noticed that the front bumper get A LOT of stone chips because of the bittle texture of the glass fibers. An application of the 3M Armourguard solved that. I believe my car is also hands down the lowest BMW I have yet to see and I'm happy to say that the front Aluminum splitter I made probably saved the bumper numerous times when driving up inclined driveways. It really does depend on your driving style.... be very careful when parking the car and going up driveways.

My front end....

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 06:19 PM   #11
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

hey, randy, you've probably heard alotof times, but it is really nice
car you have.
anyway, what kind of 3m tape did you use, to shield the front end? Howmuch and where?
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:24 PM   #12
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by mpower1226
hey, randy, you've probably heard alotof times, but it is really nice
car you have.
anyway, what kind of 3m tape did you use, to shield the front end? Howmuch and where?
Thanks for the compliments. I still appreciate it though. I believe there's another thread talking about that 3M tape I mentioned.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 11-03-2002, 04:48 PM   #13
Furious
BMW again.

well ive had a lot of problems with my front end. i think its due to the amount of kilometers i travel with my car.. stone chips are a huge problem.. and not just once but twice ive hit some type of debrit on the road that has thus cracked.. and shattered the front end.. all it takes is a dark highway stretch and a blown truck tire and your focked..
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #14
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

empowerd, i am just thinking...do you have a pic of your car like that on the road? it looks a lil different when on the grass....when on a road or in one of the shows you entered it might look a lil higher than that. you already know, but i love how your car is...really low, but the wheels are half way in the fender! i love it!

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #15
EMPOWERD

like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cruising to hin.jpg (87.8 KB, 237 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: