Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

m42 Coolant Flush

Hey guys, i think its time for me to flush the system, but i have not found a good DIY anywhere for the little m42, can anyone help me out? Also, is the m42 self-bleeding? BTW the cars a 95 318.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:29 AM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
* Make sure engine is cold before proceeding with the coolant flush. Googles and quality polymer gloves help too, as antifreeze should never come in contact with your skin, or your cars paint.

Draining the coolant system

1. Open the filler cap on your expansion tank.

2. On the M42 radiator, open the bleeder screw beside the filler cap on your expansion tank. It uses a philips screwdriver. Don't lose the screw.

3. Remove the plastic undertray under your radiator.

4. At the bottom of your radiator is the drain screw. Place a large container to catch the coolant, and open the drain screw. Again, gloves help here as some coolant is bound to splash and spill a bit as the screw opens. You'll also need to go into the container after to fetch the screw if you open it fully.

5. After the radiator has been drained, you can now drain the rest of the system. There is another coolant drain plug located on the right-hand side of the cylinder block. Move your container under here, and loosen this plug. You may need a new sealing washer, available from Canadian Tire or the dealership for a few cents... it's a good idea to get a new one in advance to avoid potential leaks.

Flushing the coolant system...

6. If you'd like to flush the radiator too, then remove the top and bottom hoses from the radiator. Again, place the bucket under the bottom outlet. Use a garden hose in the top hole, no need to use too much pressure. When the water draining from the bottom is perfectly clear, you can stop.

* If the water doesn't come out clear, then there are deposits and contamination in the radiator. A good radiator flushing agent can help here, also reverse flushing the rad can help too. (pushing the water from the bottom of the rad, instead of the top.)

7. Now we can flush the engine as well. Remove the thermostat as it is currently in the closed position. Re-attach the thermostat cover, without the thermostat so the water can run freely.

8. Again, garden hose running water in the top inlet of your radiator. Continue until clean water flows out of the bottom outlet on the radiator.

9. Now you can reinstall your thermostat and hoses. Ensure everything has been reattached tight. The only thing that does not need to be reattached yet is the bleeder screw, and cap for the expansion tank.

We are ready to fill up the system and bleed it.

Filling & Bleeding Your Coolant System

10. On the M42 engine, there is a SECOND bleeder screw located a the top of the thermostat housing. Loosen this screw too.

11. Turn the heater control knob on your climate control to the maximum heat position. Note the engine has not been started yet.

12. Now slowly pour the 50/50 mix of coolant/water in your expansion tank. Keep an eye on the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. When the coolant begins pouring out of this thermostat bleeder screw without air bubbles, you can tighten this screw.

13. Now keep an eye on the bleeder screw by the expansion tank. When coolant begins pouring out of this screw without air bubbles, you can tighten this screw too.

14. Keep an eye on the expansion tank level until it's half way to the maximum level. Now squeeze the radiator top and bottom hoses to help push any trapped air out of them.

Almost done...

15. Now you can start the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature. As the coolant level rises and is about to overflow, you can tighten the expansion tank cap.

Ensure your heater is blowing hot, and inspect under your vehicle for any leaks from any of the parts you have removed earlier. Turn off the engine, and inspect the thermostat housing for any leaks.

Note that some people like to bleed the system a second time after around 200km of driving, though on the M42 engine it's usually unnecessary.

Let me know if any of the above instructions require clarifying.
Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

thanks justin, just one question what is the thermostat and how do you remove it? Also, its offtopic but you know under the hood, theres that mat or watever its called attached to the inside of the hood, is it possible to remove that or will it heat the wires and other things that are attached to the hood. Thanks bro
Old 04-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

With the thermostat, you might need a new housing gasket as mine disentegrated as I took it off...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
With the thermostat, you might need a new housing gasket as mine disentegrated as I took it off...
yup yup.....i did my tstat and coolant flush n fill a couple weeks ago...i did it EXACTLY the way justin described it
Old 04-07-2006, 01:05 AM   #6
Stuttgart
Bmw = Bought My Wife

Send a message via MSN to Stuttgart
u just pop it off, I grabbed the t stat and pulled like a mofo it's on there tight!

well mine was. dunno bout all of them.

89 325i sold
92 325i S52 OBD1 RIP
88 190e 5speed RIP
95 e320 SE RIP
93 190e Daily
08 c350 Summer

03 GSXR 600 RIP
04 CBR 600RR
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
I'm more interested in sticking my banana into the girl on your hood.
Stuttgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:30 AM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro_7
thanks justin, just one question what is the thermostat and how do you remove it? Also, its offtopic but you know under the hood, theres that mat or watever its called attached to the inside of the hood, is it possible to remove that or will it heat the wires and other things that are attached to the hood. Thanks bro
The thermostat allows coolant to circulate in the engine, after the engine has warmed up (to prevent overheating). The thermostat stays closed when the engine is cold so the engine can warm up faster. If you follow the coolant hoses to the engine, the thermostat is located right where the hoses connect to the engine block.

The deadening mat at the bottom of your hood is actually just for sound deadening.. to help keep the engine quieter. Some people prefer to remove it. I removed my mat when I repainted my car and never ended up putting it back on... the engine does sound a whole lot louder now. These M42 engines are loud to begin with too. To remove it just pull out the clips all around the hood. The wires on the hood are just to heat the washer jets, and the hoses for the washer fluid. They won't melt.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:33 AM   #8
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys after exams ill doing this, btw wat kind of coolant do you guys use?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:38 AM   #9
Justin e36
---

what kind of coolant to use: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62676
Old 04-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys for ur replies

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: