Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
kuds
I take pictures
 
kuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 227
Unhappy New Exhaust

I got an Ansa Sport exhaust today for my 318is. Installed it and I must say that I am really disappointed. I thought there would be just a little, very little bit of a growl. But no, nothing... Sounds like a stock exhaust.
As for performance, well it's kinda hard to tell because when I purchased my car, the muffler was falling off. So I went from no exhaust to this Ansa. There is a noticeable change, but I am not sure if that's due to the "Ansa" logo on the tip of my muffler...

Was it worth it? Well, considering that it only cost 50$ more than an OEM, it was worth it because it does look pretty good. Just too bad you don't get no 'vroum' out of it...
__________________
davinaplusdaniel.com
---
wedding photography
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
jeffrie
Addict
 
jeffrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buckingham
Posts: 2,251
Need to open up the intake to feel the full effect of a free flowing exhaust.
When I put my Stromung (cat back) on I felt a difference in power till it began to choke @ 4000 rpm. Opened up the intake (an extra 3") and is now able to breath all the way to redline, the real powerband in a 4 banger is @ 4700 + once freed up.
__________________
"They say ignorance is bliss..... I don't know what the Fu*k that means but I'm pretty happy". Ricky Trailer Park Boys.


Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: K-Dub
Posts: 2,542
Give it a week or so to break in. It should get a little louder after you a few hundred kms on it. Also, load is not always good. I personally think load exhausts sound like ass. What you should get is a nice tuned note in a few weeks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
and on a side note, why such a massive vagina flex
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
JMW
Pole busted to boosted.
 
JMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississauga/ Nottingham England
Posts: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie
Need to open up the intake to feel the full effect of a free flowing exhaust.
When I put my Stromung (cat back) on I felt a difference in power till it began to choke @ 4000 rpm. Opened up the intake (an extra 3") and is now able to breath all the way to redline, the real powerband in a 4 banger is @ 4700 + once freed up.



what do u mean by open up the intake
???? debaffle it??? or what?
__________________

Official Team BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE vehicle owner.
support: thanks to. Bimmersport automotive and audio 2 go (ATG motoring)


Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid
"i saw your car there when i was there a few weeks ago, looks absolutely stunning man. I think i popped a ****ing boner, that paint looks sick
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
kuds
I take pictures
 
kuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure GQ
what do u mean by open up the intake
???? debaffle it??? or what?
I was gonna ask the same thing Maybe he just means to put an air intake? That's what I am planning to do soon.

Well I'm happy to hear that it takes time to break in, i'll wait patiently
__________________
davinaplusdaniel.com
---
wedding photography
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
JMW
Pole busted to boosted.
 
JMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississauga/ Nottingham England
Posts: 2,832
ye man dont worry...it will sound better than stock for sure...and when u punch it it will have a nice sound...jsut give it time..im picking up a dinan today so we will see how that works for me..
__________________

Official Team BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE vehicle owner.
support: thanks to. Bimmersport automotive and audio 2 go (ATG motoring)


Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid
"i saw your car there when i was there a few weeks ago, looks absolutely stunning man. I think i popped a ****ing boner, that paint looks sick
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
jeffrie
Addict
 
jeffrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buckingham
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure GQ
what do u mean by open up the intake
???? debaffle it??? or what?
No left stock intake the way it was (snorkel over the rad), then cut a extra 3" hole in the intake (in the front of the box behind the light & below stock paper air filter) and ran some 3" piping arount to the side down into the fender. Then sealed it all up. Works mint.
Also no longer get that check engine light (cyd misfire codes) after huge puddles splash up over the hood that I used to see far too often every spring with the stock 2" intake.
__________________
"They say ignorance is bliss..... I don't know what the Fu*k that means but I'm pretty happy". Ricky Trailer Park Boys.


Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
JMW
Pole busted to boosted.
 
JMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississauga/ Nottingham England
Posts: 2,832
sweet im gunna try it on my m3
-neil
__________________

Official Team BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE vehicle owner.
support: thanks to. Bimmersport automotive and audio 2 go (ATG motoring)


Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid
"i saw your car there when i was there a few weeks ago, looks absolutely stunning man. I think i popped a ****ing boner, that paint looks sick
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
jeffrie
Addict
 
jeffrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buckingham
Posts: 2,251
Think for the 6 pot it would be far easier to just pick up a CAI setup.
Stock all 6 already breath very well.
M44 4 banger's don't, comes from the factory with a choked puny little air intake tube.
__________________
"They say ignorance is bliss..... I don't know what the Fu*k that means but I'm pretty happy". Ricky Trailer Park Boys.


Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
BennyL
7th Gear Member
 
BennyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,652
hey jeffrie, is there any point in opening up my intake if i have an M44 with an auto tranny? i dont intend on doing any exhaust work...
__________________

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
kuds
I take pictures
 
kuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie
No left stock intake the way it was (snorkel over the rad), then cut a extra 3" hole in the intake (in the front of the box behind the light & below stock paper air filter) and ran some 3" piping arount to the side down into the fender. Then sealed it all up. Works mint.
Also no longer get that check engine light (cyd misfire codes) after huge puddles splash up over the hood that I used to see far too often every spring with the stock 2" intake.
What's the advantage of doing that over just replacing the entire box with a tube? Also, what did you put at the end of the 3" tube to seal it up?
__________________
davinaplusdaniel.com
---
wedding photography
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
jeffrie
Addict
 
jeffrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buckingham
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuds
What's the advantage of doing that over just replacing the entire box with a tube? Also, what did you put at the end of the 3" tube to seal it up?
The cost, 10 bucks at home depot instead of 100 + and you get all the advantages of a cold air intake if you route the tube opening into the fender & can use stock paper air filters, none of that K&N oiling maintenace stuff. Not to mention Autocross inspectors don't care or notice it to count it as a mod for classing me.
Do not get the "Bling" factor though.
The only part I needed to seal was @ the box in the front were I cut the hole through the stock air box (same corner as stock hole just in the front instead of the side). I silaconed it to stop any water/road grime from getting in from behind the headlight and to not suck in any warmed air being so close to the rad. Also used a toilet ruber seal and hose clamp on the inside of the box to make it very solid, can reef it all I want and nothing moves.

Nothing was needed for the end of the tube in the fender, it's the new primary air intake. Do know it still uses the stock intake along with the extra 3" tube, reving it with your hands in front and you can feel the strong vacume from both intakes simutaniously.

Benny, yes it will work for an auto, tranny has nothing to do with how the engine breeths, Although I did my exhaust work first then air, I do not know if both are needed but IMO I'd think yes both are needed.
__________________
"They say ignorance is bliss..... I don't know what the Fu*k that means but I'm pretty happy". Ricky Trailer Park Boys.


Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 04-04-2006 at 06:54 PM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #13
kuds
I take pictures
 
kuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie
The cost, 10 bucks at home depot instead of 100 + and you get all the advantages of a cold air intake if you route the tube opening into the fender & can use stock paper air filters, none of that K&N oiling maintenace stuff. Not to mention Autocross inspectors don't care or notice it to count it as a mod for classing me.
Do not get the "Bling" factor though.
The only part I needed to seal was @ the box in the front were I cut the hole through the stock air box (same corner as stock hole just in the front instead of the side). I silaconed it to stop any water/road grime from getting in from behind the headlight and to not suck in any warmed air being so close to the rad. Also used a toilet ruber seal and hose clamp on the inside of the box to make it very solid, can reef it all I want and nothing moves.

Nothing was needed for the end of the tube in the fender, it's the new primary air intake. Do know it still uses the stock intake along with the extra 3" tube, reving it with your hands in front and you can feel the strong vacume from both intakes simutaniously.

Benny, yes it will work for an auto, tranny has nothing to do with how the engine breeths, Although I did my exhaust work first then air, I do not know if both are needed but IMO I'd think yes both are needed.
Awesome. I might give it a shot. And in case you screw up, well you can just get the aftermarket intake i guess
__________________
davinaplusdaniel.com
---
wedding photography
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
Stuttgart
Bmw = Bought My Wife
 
Stuttgart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 525
Send a message via MSN to Stuttgart
yeah I did it to my 325i and noticed very minimal gains at hwy speeds, proper ram air usually equals to 1 psi of boost for every 60km/h so 4psi at 240km/h and all free hp, that's the nice thing about a proper ram air set up. But for my m3 swap I am not touching a thing, as I might sell the car right after I do the swap.
__________________
The difference between stick and auto is like night and day in an E30!

89 325i sold
92 325i S52 OBD1 RIP
88 190e 5speed RIP
95 e320 SE RIP
93 190e Daily
08 c350 Summer

03 GSXR 600 RIP
04 CBR 600RR
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
I'm more interested in sticking my banana into the girl on your hood.
Stuttgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
jeffrie
Addict
 
jeffrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buckingham
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttgart
yeah I did it to my 325i and noticed very minimal gains at hwy speeds, proper ram air usually equals to 1 psi of boost for every 60km/h so 4psi at 240km/h and all free hp, that's the nice thing about a proper ram air set up. But for my m3 swap I am not touching a thing, as I might sell the car right after I do the swap.
Stuttgart, I know what you mean ram air is useless IMO as well.
Although ram air isn't what I was talking about, was implying more air for our starving 4 pot's always, not just @ speed.
Kind of like the fogging the air box mod shown on other sites for z3's just without the road dirt and water/snow or giving small rodents the chance to make a new home in our car's.
__________________
"They say ignorance is bliss..... I don't know what the Fu*k that means but I'm pretty happy". Ricky Trailer Park Boys.


Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.