Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
rico328i
5th Gear Member

UUC UDP installed (pulleys)

UUC UDP installed! (pulleys)

So I got around to installing my UUC underdrive pulleys last night. 2hr job! And that's because I had a hard time figuring out how to put back the A/C belt - even though I took pictures before! My fault! Definitely a DIY job. Thanks Bruno - gave him a late night call 'cause I got stuck at one point - sorry for waking you up!

Used ramps instead of axle stands. Felt safer and it wasn't wobbly working on the car as stands can sometimes feel.

Replaced the power steering and water-pump pulley plus new A/C and P/S,W/P,Alt belt. New belt is slightly longer for obvious reasons of the pulleys being slightly larger diameters.

I know there are already a few write-ups on how to do it so I won't add another one.

I already had the fan-delete mod done a couple of weeks ago, so access to the area was much easier without the fan being there. I would recommend removing the fan-shroud and rad frame (if possible), cause that's where I kept cutting up my arms!

Hardest part of the job was putting back the last belt- A/C. You do have to wiggle and force it back on the pulley while reefing on the tensioner (best done with something long that can add leverage). 2nd set of hands is priceless here!

Initial impressions? Stiffer steering! Can't miss that. And I love it. Since I didn't do a pre and post dyno. I can't determine any hp gains. But....it does seem to rev more freely/quicker - key word SEEM. That's all I can tell for now.

I'll do a few test runs soon and report back. BUT.....I just happened to get hold of a Beltronics FX1 Accelerometer that I'm testing out for work. So I did get a chance to do a few base runs prior to the pulleys. Best run to 60mph was 6.4s - done with full tank of gas and tons of crap in my car and w/my winter tires on. Also got LOTS of wheelspin off the line on that 6.4s run. So I know there's room for improvement. Just hope I see it!!!

Now...someone buy my VDP (VPD?) pulleys please!!!! for an M50, 325.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
The A/C tensioner was giving you that hard of a time?? I remove my A/C belt all the time, it's like a 2 minute job.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
330ci05
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico328i
UUC UDP installed! (pulleys)

So I got around to installing my UUC underdrive pulleys last night. 2hr job! And that's because I had a hard time figuring out how to put back the A/C belt - even though I took pictures before! My fault! Definitely a DIY job. Thanks Bruno - gave him a late night call 'cause I got stuck at one point - sorry for waking you up!

Used ramps instead of axle stands. Felt safer and it wasn't wobbly working on the car as stands can sometimes feel.

Replaced the power steering and water-pump pulley plus new A/C and P/S,W/P,Alt belt. New belt is slightly longer for obvious reasons of the pulleys being slightly larger diameters.

I know there are already a few write-ups on how to do it so I won't add another one.

I already had the fan-delete mod done a couple of weeks ago, so access to the area was much easier without the fan being there. I would recommend removing the fan-shroud and rad frame (if possible), cause that's where I kept cutting up my arms!

Hardest part of the job was putting back the last belt- A/C. You do have to wiggle and force it back on the pulley while reefing on the tensioner (best done with something long that can add leverage). 2nd set of hands is priceless here!

Initial impressions? Stiffer steering! Can't miss that. And I love it. Since I didn't do a pre and post dyno. I can't determine any hp gains. But....it does seem to rev more freely/quicker - key word SEEM. That's all I can tell for now.

I'll do a few test runs soon and report back. BUT.....I just happened to get hold of a Beltronics FX1 Accelerometer that I'm testing out for work. So I did get a chance to do a few base runs prior to the pulleys. Best run to 60mph was 6.4s - done with full tank of gas and tons of crap in my car and w/my winter tires on. Also got LOTS of wheelspin off the line on that 6.4s run. So I know there's room for improvement. Just hope I see it!!!

Now...someone buy my VDP (VPD?) pulleys please!!!! for an M50, 325.

hey, sunday when we meet up can u bring ur "Beltronics FX1 Accelerometer" so i can test it on my car ???
330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
rico328i
5th Gear Member

reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
The A/C tensioner was giving you that hard of a time?? I remove my A/C belt all the time, it's like a 2 minute job.
Ahhhhhh.... won't take me more than a few minutes in the future! I was screwing up the belt install procedure = wrong way!! I learned. Kicked myself a few times for that. This is what happens sometimes when there's BEER involved with working on cars!

I did take pictures too..but couldn't see the belt routing from my pics.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
rico328i
5th Gear Member

gone

Sold!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for those who showed interest.

Last edited by rico328i; 04-04-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: