Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Tio
1st Gear Newbie

Re: Getting a new setup

Hey All,

I went over to Sidds Radio since I read about them on this forum and they seem to have a great reputation. They gave me a nice deal on the following

2x JBL 12" GTO Subwoofers (300 W RMS each I think)
RF P3001 AMP (On birth sheet, supposedly 400-425 W RMS)

Isn't this amp underpowering my subs and might clip out on me? I was assured that it will be fine, but what are your thoughts?

Thanks guys
Tio
Tio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

That is a BIG yes,how are you listening to when you are buying your stuff every one????The sales guy,that is bad,WHY is it bad,well bacuase they what you to come back to buy more shit that is why........AGAIN when you all have a sub that has an RMS handling of XXX amount you can use XXX amount more,like this 300 RMS you can go with 450 RMS.......these has been ask and answered so many times now...I am not trying to be ass here ok...
Old 05-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Tio
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
That is a BIG yes,how are you listening to when you are buying your stuff every one????The sales guy,that is bad,WHY is it bad,well bacuase they what you to come back to buy more shit that is why........AGAIN when you all have a sub that has an RMS handling of XXX amount you can use XXX amount more,like this 300 RMS you can go with 450 RMS.......these has been ask and answered so many times now...I am not trying to be ass here ok...
No worries you are not being an ass. I’m just having trouble understanding what you said.

Are my subs going to blow with this under power amp?

Thank you
Tio

Last edited by Tio; 05-12-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

that is a commen thing about me man,but you get to know as time goes on here,they only do highend,and for your subs they go bom,and I am not saying they are bad...
Old 05-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Tio... grab a JBL 600.1 amp at minimum. Make sure you grab a monoblock amp that will push minimum 600 watts @ 2ohm or 4ohm stable (depending on your subs).
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:12 AM   #6
rendered
6th Gear Member

what ohm load are your subs? single voice coil 4 ohm or Dual voice coil 4 ohms?

sealed or ported box?

JBL GTO's are okay entry level.

You shouldn;t of paid more than $90 per sub, and the amp no more than $299... then I applaud you! good deal....

how much did they charge for install if you don't mind me asking?
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Tio
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered
what ohm load are your subs? single voice coil 4 ohm or Dual voice coil 4 ohms?

sealed or ported box?

JBL GTO's are okay entry level.

You shouldn;t of paid more than $90 per sub, and the amp no more than $299... then I applaud you! good deal....

how much did they charge for install if you don't mind me asking?
Hey,

I paid 110 per sub and 249.99 for the amplifier. Installation i think is aroudn 80?

and they are dual voice coil 4 ohms i think
Old 05-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
rendered
6th Gear Member

3001, is a class a/b mono amp. Puts 150rms at 4 ohms, and 300rms at 2 ohms mono. This is not 1 ohm stable.
your subs if they have DVC 4 ohm can only be wired into either a 4 ohm mono or 1 ohm mono load.

I hope your subs are single voice coil 4 ohms, so you're at least getting full rated power at 2 ohm's from your rockford amp.

Make sure you're wired into a 2 ohm load, or else 150RMS is way too little for those sub...

The JBL 600.1 will make those subs sing! that would be awesome if you could upgrade to something that will put out 600RMS at 2 ohms, just as long as your subs are wired into a 2 ohm load.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
Tio
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
3001, is a class a/b mono amp. Puts 150rms at 4 ohms, and 300rms at 2 ohms mono. This is not 1 ohm stable.
your subs if they have DVC 4 ohm can only be wired into either a 4 ohm mono or 1 ohm mono load.

I hope your subs are single voice coil 4 ohms, so you're at least getting full rated power at 2 ohm's from your rockford amp.

Make sure you're wired into a 2 ohm load, or else 150RMS is way too little for those sub...

The JBL 600.1 will make those subs sing! that would be awesome if you could upgrade to something that will put out 600RMS at 2 ohms, just as long as your subs are wired into a 2 ohm load.
Hey,

Sorry, they are teh 1202D which means they are dual voice coil 2 OHM. Now I got them installed, but there are 4 wires going into the amp (p4002). When the installer put 2 wires going into the amp it cut out every 10 minutes or so... can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

rendered can i PM you?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
rendered
6th Gear Member

I'm not surprised about your issue.

ya man, no problem.

1202D is 2 ohm dual voice coil. two of them and you have a 2 ohm mono load, or 0.5 mono load.

Obviously no planning was taken when the equipment was sold to you! Or they couldn't sell the amp and wanted to clear it out to some poor customer who doesn't know too much about car audio.

what is your amp. Rockford, 3001? or 4002?

see this diagram for two 2ohm DVC's properly wired up.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/wiring.php

Subs were a good deal, if its the rockford 4002, the amp is wrong for your application. I don't know why they would sell you a 2 channal A/B amp which is only 4 ohms bridged stable. He wired it up in stereo, and you're only getting 100 watts RMS per sub. THATS SCARY!

My suggestion? Get them to exchange the amp for a proper mono 2 ohm stable amp! (3001 is okay) and show them the wiring guide!!! and make sure they are following that wiring diagram? I'm confused why they wouldn't know this in the first place. They should do this at no additional cost for their screw-up if they didn't warn you about that amp not being the best option for your subs.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...48&catid=20103 Thats the amp you would need. Not the greatest, but will do!

If they refuse to exchange the amp, let them know you did some research and they sold you the wrong amplifier for those subs, and you would see it being their best business interest to keep the customer happy and do whatever it takes to correct their sales mistake!

Last edited by rendered; 05-13-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
Tio
1st Gear Newbie

wow man thanks so much! you've been of great help

They said to get the 3001 but i wanted more power so they said the 4002 would be better. The 3001 was giving only aroudn 400 W rms vs 600w rms from the 4002.

So there is no way for me to correct this problem with the 4002? The 3001 would be better?

Thanks
Tio

p.s. what if I run it 4 ohm x1 @ 400W RMS

wouldn't that be better

Thanks

Quote:
I'm not surprised about your issue.

ya man, no problem.

1202D is 2 ohm dual voice coil. two of them and you have a 2 ohm mono load, or 0.5 mono load.

Obviously no planning was taken when the equipment was sold to you! Or they couldn't sell the amp and wanted to clear it out to some poor customer who doesn't know too much about car audio.

what is your amp. Rockford, 3001? or 4002?

see this diagram for two 2ohm DVC's properly wired up.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/wiring.php

Subs were a good deal, if its the rockford 4002, the amp is wrong for your application. I don't know why they would sell you a 2 channal A/B amp which is only 4 ohms bridged stable. He wired it up in stereo, and you're only getting 100 watts RMS per sub. THATS SCARY!

My suggestion? Get them to exchange the amp for a proper mono 2 ohm stable amp! (3001 is okay) and show them the wiring guide!!! and make sure they are following that wiring diagram? I'm confused why they wouldn't know this in the first place. They should do this at no additional cost for their screw-up if they didn't warn you about that amp not being the best option for your subs.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...48&catid=20103 Thats the amp you would need. Not the greatest, but will do!

If they refuse to exchange the amp, let them know you did some research and they sold you the wrong amplifier for those subs, and you would see it being their best business interest to keep the customer happy and do whatever it takes to correct their sales mistake!

Last edited by Tio; 05-14-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #12
rendered
6th Gear Member

You're welcome

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...5&locale=en_US

The rockford 4002 will only put out max 400rms a 4 ohm's bridged!

ARE THEY ON CRACK?

The 3001 will put out 300rms a 2ohm's mono.

If you want more power, you should goto the P6001bd. 600rms at 2 ohm's mono. That is a mono class BD amp.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
Tio
1st Gear Newbie

hey sent u a p m

Quote:
You're welcome

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...5&locale=en_US

The rockford 4002 will only put out max 400rms a 4 ohm's bridged!

ARE THEY ON CRACK?

The 3001 will put out 300rms a 2ohm's mono.

If you want more power, you should goto the P6001bd. 600rms at 2 ohm's mono. That is a mono class BD amp.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #14
rendered
6th Gear Member

pm replied.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: