Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
jboy_328
2nd Gear Member

Summer Tires

I'm surprised no one has started this but with the winter over, I was wondering what are a good brand and model of tire to go with for the summer. My criteria is:

Performance - occasional track (2-3 times a season) but with decent road grip
Price - willing to dish a little, hopefully get a nice set for 600?
Rims - just putting them on stock BBS 16in sport wheels (OEM)

Would I see a drastic improvement on performance with better rims? staggered?

Also, just in general what are good tires that people have had experience with in the past. I really don't know anything about tires.
jboy_328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Don't get a staggared setup, this will just cause your car to understeer more around corners. On a budget, try Kumho MX's, or Toyo T1S's on clearance.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Good luck on gettin NEW performance tires for close to 600 (sizes 17+)... they cheapest i've ever found new decent performance tires is 800!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Toyo T1S's on clearance.
Where can I find these on clearance? I've always wanted T1-S's.. my wallet kept denying my request.

Also, I wouldn't recommended a staggered setup either.. I didn't realize just how much understeer there would be, until now. Still looks purdy though. Though I was recommended a staggered setup for handling. Also, keep in mind that with a staggered setup, and directional tires... there is absolutely no tire rotation possible. Bah.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

I bought my 235/40/17 Toyo T1S's on clearance from a Acura dealership in Colorado for $650CDN, after shipping duties last year.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 03-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

You're looking for 16's right. I personally like the yokohama avs es100 but mind you the tread life on my rears was unreal, the back tires are bald around 10K, and the fronts are like brand new. My car is lowered and the rear calls for a -2o camber, so they wear like hell on the inside.

This what I like about them.
They stick to the ashphalt like a go kart on rails.
Very stiff sidewall, needed 3 people to get the tire on the rim.
Very little noise.
The rim protector bump..
Price..I paid $219 each installed and balanced, but mine are 225/45ZR17. For your 16's and if you are not lowered it might be a good buy...

Like Justin said if you get staggared forget rotating, cause it'll cost you a mint everytime you want to do a rotation. You'll have to take your left sides off the rim and install them on the right side rims....directional gotta love em... With no stagger you can rotate....but only front to back on the same side, if you want to do a full rotation in the X...it'll cost more money once again...

Good luck man.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
jboy_328
2nd Gear Member

Alrite thanks alot guys, so it looks like it's either gonna be the toyo T1R/T1S or the yokohama es1000 depending on where i can get a good price. Do any of you guys know a good place to go for tires in either Toronto or Kitchener which will have good prices? I am used to going to green bay tires just to switch um on and off, but i dunno if they sell good tires at good prices.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is
You're looking for 16's right. I personally like the yokohama avs es100 but mind you the tread life on my rears was unreal, the back tires are bald around 10K, and the fronts are like brand new. My car is lowered and the rear calls for a -2o camber, so they wear like hell on the inside.

This what I like about them.
They stick to the ashphalt like a go kart on rails.
Very stiff sidewall, needed 3 people to get the tire on the rim.
Very little noise.
The rim protector bump..
Price..I paid $219 each installed and balanced, but mine are 225/45ZR17. For your 16's and if you are not lowered it might be a good buy...

Like Justin said if you get staggared forget rotating, cause it'll cost you a mint everytime you want to do a rotation. You'll have to take your left sides off the rim and install them on the right side rims....directional gotta love em... With no stagger you can rotate....but only front to back on the same side, if you want to do a full rotation in the X...it'll cost more money once again...

Good luck man.
I've had those yokos before and I can say two things. 1. I really enjoyed driving with them in the dry in the summer. They grip really well!!!! However, that being said, in the rain, forget it, hardly any traction!!! 2. Now here is where I really get upset.... ONE SEASON!!!! By the end of the season they were bald!!! I'm sorry but that is absolutely horrible wear!!!! 2 seasons I can live with because I have "spirited" driving habits, but one season is just rediculous! If your looking for a pure summer tire, I would say maybe ZRis or try the General ultra high performance tire. Never used the general before, but people are saying that it is a pretty good performance tire!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Hey,

I can get you 225/50r16 Yoko ES100 for $190 installed and balanced at my work. or Fusions ZRi for $145 installed and balanced.

Limmi know.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

I had ES100 before I bought the T1S's, in my personal experience they were awesome in the rain, and not too expensive either.

As far as tread wear, again, I had a different experience. That set of ES100's went though a driving school, almost two full auto-x seasons (except 2 races, so like 14 autox's), plus over 15k. If you're running a lot of camber, you'd want to run less then stock toe. I personally run no toe up front and very little in the back. Toe is what causes most wear of the inside of the tires from constant scrubbing.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
vikgiri
1st Gear Newbie

it is difficult for having performance tires at a cheap price. you basically get what you pay for.

my car has summer tires bfg g-force

two of these tires would be the equivalent of $600
Old 03-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I'm currently running the ES100's right now... no real complaints. They stick to the road, wet driving is fine. It's been a season, and still not much wear on them. I'd really like to try the T1S/T1R's though.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:42 PM   #13
jboy_328
2nd Gear Member

O....K....

Now that i have an idea about the tires mentioned in this thread. I have come tho the following conclusion, i should get either the toyo T1r or the Goodyear Ealg F1. I called some places and obtained the following lowest prices:

Toyo T1r's for 220 each
Goodyear Eagle F1 for 246 each

Both include balancing and installation. I believe the price on the F1 is better because i have employee discount there. However, I'm not sure if it's a much better tire than the Toyo and consider that I don't go to the track alot, occasionally, and possibly more. I was wondering if it was worth it to pay 1000 every other year for tires. So, which tire is the better buy, or should i go with the yokohama for 200 each?

Your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
im goin good year eagle f1 this summer, Ive read (not yet tested) that they have excelent dry as well as wet handling. Seein as how i hit as much rain as i do dry, thats important to me.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: