Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

battery drain issue

with the warm weather just about here its time to take off the covers and get the car ready to come out of storage.
one if the items on the list that has been driving me crazy for a while is the battery being drained in about 3 days.
the car has been in storage since October but the problem has been there before the storage.

3 days ago i took the cover off it put on the summer rims clean it a bit installed the new trim basically getting her ready i hooked up the battery and the car fired right up no hesitation not problem (it was stored with the battery disconnected) but now since its coming out in a week i left the battery connected.
today i did some more work on it and when i went to turn the car on it is dead. the alarm and all the electronics work but there is not enough juice to turn the engine on. both the battery and alternator are new they wore changed last year before storage.
from what i hear its a common problem on the e39 but i cannot find what an exact solution is or how to diagnose it
wolf_e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
NIMA
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem ...even after I put in a new battery . It would start up fine , then the next day it would just die on me .
I checked the terminals , cleaned them with sandpaper and it has started up with no problems since .
Sometimes you could have a loose or dirty battery terminal
NIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

M5Board has a good write up on how to find the source of your battery drain.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...heck-here.html
Old 03-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

NIMA
the terminals are clean it is not that for sure

T.Dot_E30
thanks i will check that out

today i went to boost it up and my little beater struggled for almost 15min to charge the battery so the car would fire up
the battery was soo drained it would not even unlock the doors anymore
Old 03-25-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
blk3
4th Gear Member

I had this happen to my e36. After much checking and many months. (Every time I was checking the car there was no draw) found the problem to be the factory amp in the trunk. Replaced it and the car has been good ever since. Unplug it and leave it and see if your car will be drained in its normal drain period of time
Old 03-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
windwagen
6th Gear Member

That's a great write up...good luck!!!

My E39 beater wagon had this problem too....but it was much more serious. The car was flooded with water before I bought it. The PO warned me that were serious electrical problems including battery drain.

Turns out the fuse box under the passenger seat (under the floor) was badly corroded and the rust made a bridge to ground! I replaced it with a used fusebox and it's been fine for 18 months now....original battery.

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

as soon as my car comes back from Eurocharged i will do some serious digging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: