Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Three_1_Eight
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Can a cracked bumper be fixed?

Hey folks,

We just a got a huge dump of snow here in Edmonton and I ended up bottoming and plowing through a high snow bank and cracked my aftermarket m3 front bumper just below the grill in the center as well as above the grill.

Is it possible for a body shop to fix this somehow or do I have to get a whole new front bumper?

If I have to get a new one, can anybody point me in the direction of either a quality used one or to a company that has good proces for new ones?

Thanks,
Tom
Three_1_Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_1_Eight
Hey folks,

We just a got a huge dump of snow here in Edmonton and I ended up bottoming and plowing through a high snow bank and cracked my aftermarket m3 front bumper just below the grill in the center as well as above the grill.

Is it possible for a body shop to fix this somehow or do I have to get a whole new front bumper?

If I have to get a new one, can anybody point me in the direction of either a quality used one or to a company that has good proces for new ones?

Thanks,
Tom

now you mentioned aftermarket, im gonna assume its made of fibreglass, fibreglass is fixable, but not cheap, look into spending at least 200 to fix the crack and paint to match, they are basicly gonna take your bumper, repair it using fibreglass, reinforce that spot so it doesnt futher crack anymore and then repaint it.
any place that does custom stuff or paint place (installation of body kits etc.) will do this for you
soon2b-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Three_1_Eight
2nd Gear Member

It's actually plastic. Would that change things?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
Soldo
6th Gear Member

How do they repair cracked Eurethane or Plastic bumpers?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

they could plastic weld it.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
It's actually plastic. Would that change things?
Yes it does; it will be more expensive (plastic welding, like mentioned above), and it will not be as durable...might start cracking soon, as body fillers have a hard time sticking to plastic...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Three_1_Eight
2nd Gear Member

So it looks like I should purchase a new bumper. Can anybody let me know what a new one go's for these days? I already have the mesh and the ducts so I just need the bumper. Perhaps the splitter too just to finish it off. I am pretty sure the one I purchased was not fiberglass and I do not want to go down that route. Any good companies to go through?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
first plastic weld it, it's not difficult to do actually.. just practice on some other pieces of plastic/urethane first so you can do it cleanly. Then reinforce the back with some sheet metal and some ethyl based plastic bonder. In the chance of another impact happening, the plastic welded area will be much less likely to flex then.

However, since your front bumper is fiberglass... most bodyshops can fix it. Just have to remove it first... it'll need to be reworked, and repainted.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
Three_1_Eight
2nd Gear Member

I found out that I have the m-tech kit and he quoted me a price of $620 for the bumper.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
here is a picture of my old M3 bumper i cracked last winter (sold now). when i took it to the bodyshop they actually fixed it eventho i told them to get me a new bumper since the insurance was paying for it.

i still got a new bumper and got to sell this one. it looked actually pretty decent, the front was sanded and there was no way to tell that anything happened to it.

also heard that fiberglas once fixed should actually be even stronger in that area then it was before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper-fixed.jpg (59.1 KB, 65 views)
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #11
Three_1_Eight
2nd Gear Member

Do you remember how much it cost to get fixed? I have an OEM plastic and am worried that it might not come out that good. Like I said previously I was quoted $620 for a new m-tech bumper.

I will swing by the bodyshop tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Tom
Old 03-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
Quote:
Do you remember how much it cost to get fixed? I have an OEM plastic and am worried that it might not come out that good. Like I said previously I was quoted $620 for a new m-tech bumper.

I will swing by the bodyshop tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Tom
nah i never asked them to do it, but they still did it lol so it was for free. but they did charge me enough for the paintjob on the other hand.

and yeah an OEM sounds about right for $620
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: