Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
kwbimmer
1st Gear Newbie

Clutch Replacement REquired?

I took my 95 320 into the shop because the accelerator was sticking. My mechanic (specializes in BMW and usually trustworthy) took it for a test drive and said it did not show enough power and thinks the clutch is slipping and needs replacing (Claims it is original clutch on 220K).

I have not noticed any significant power loss, and have never lost a clutch before. Does this sound like a way for him to generate income, or a legit claim?

Is there any way to tell other than going to another mechanic?
kwbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

If the clutch is picking up high, and/or if the RPM's jump for no reason under accelleration or have a lag time on downshifts.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
kwbimmer
1st Gear Newbie

I've never seen the RPM's jump on acceleration (or at any time), but have noticed the RPM gauge appear to stick after a down shift.

Thanks for the help - Do you know anywhere I can get a cheap clutch?
kwbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
cisco911
6th Gear Member

If your clutch is truly gone gone, then test it by doing two things. Hard upshift to second or hard downshift to second. If you do a hard upshift to second(redline first and pop into second, you should see the revs jump, then go back down as the clutch actually catches. To test doing downshift to second, do a hard downshift into second so that the engine brakes the car hard. If you downshift and you notice that the RPMs stay high and the engine is not slowing the car, then it is also slipping. Of course, do this with caution because if the clutch is on its way out, it could finish it off if you do this too much. Prices on clutches for E36s vary. I have heard that you can get a sachs clutch from the states for around 200 USD, but if you add all the taxes, it might get up there. I think that BMW charges around 850 to do a rebuilt clutch in E36 i6s. It was cheaper, but BMW raised the price(can someone please confirm this for me). I think an OE rebuilt clutch goes for around 450 list from the dealer. If your mechanically inclined and do it yourself, I would try and get a good deal on a sachs clutch. If you want someone to do it, I'm sure your mechanic can give you a deal one it. Let us know what happens.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Just go about 30 kph, then put it into 5th, and floor it. If the RPMs go up, but the car does not accelarate, then the clutch is slipping. Much safer than slamming into 2nd
Old 03-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Furious
BMW again.

its hard to say, it being said that its your car and you know better than anyone else how it should feel and act, you said yourself you have not felt any difference in performance, which in this case is a good indication to yourself that the clutch is still working fine. agreeably that the clutch may be worn,but does not mean that its gone. in most cases like this anyhow, its a good idea to save up your money and put it away for a potential clutch change, so there are no suprises, and ride it out. you wouldnt want to change your clutch if you could potentially have 1xxxx amount of kilometers left or more.

one test i did to see if my clutch was going was rev the engine up a bit and pop the clutch to see if i would get a good engagement or if it would slip (dont do a huge burnout, its not nessecary).. also the idea scotch said is another good idea... it slipped and of course i got ready to save up for a clutch, which i eventually replaced after almost 8500kilometers after, but in the time frame i got reliable kilometers as long as i didnt go crazy with the car.

Last edited by Furious; 03-16-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH
Just go about 30 kph, then put it into 5th, and floor it. If the RPMs go up, but the car does not accelarate, then the clutch is slipping. Much safer than slamming into 2nd
Even safer to do a stall test in 5th gear. Kinda like what Furious is saying.

From a standstill, put it in 5th and release the clutch fairly quickly. If the car doesn't immediately stall out, your clutch is toast.

All of the other tests mentioned above will work too though.
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: