Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Unstoring Your Car - What to do?

Mods - can you sticky this as I think many people will be wondering about this process as the weather gets warmer.

So I stored my car for the first time this winter, and I'm wondering if anyone has a checklist of things to do before I turn the key for the first time this spring. (It was shut down on Nov.11 and hasn't been started since)

Thanks!

uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff@bmw
Mods - can you sticky this as I think many people will be wondering about this process as the weather gets warmer.

So I stored my car for the first time this winter, and I'm wondering if anyone has a checklist of things to do before I turn the key for the first time this spring. (It was shut down on Nov.11 and hasn't been started since)

Thanks!

Funny how I "un-stored" my car last week. Here is what I did,

If your car is stored inside the storage area where you could work on your car, then before anything,

-Install the battery, check if the battery is fully charged, if not charge it before putting it in.
-Start up the engine, let it just worm up for 15 min.
-while its on idle, take out can of lubricant and some greese, spray around all the hinges, door locks, trunk locks, hinges, trunk etc.
-Let loose then check your windows, up and down.
-You bascially check all the moving parts for its seizure.
-now turn off your engine, drain out your engine oil, change your filter and put new oils.
-Also drain out your radiator, refill it(you might want to flush it as well but I didnt). Engine on idle, take out the bleeding screw and keep on topping for at least 20~30min. The air will keep on come out.
-Heater on, check all the heating elements also check and test out the Air conditionning as well. Turn on the air conditionning to re-lubricate the seals. make sure to turn it on for at least 10 min before turning it off.
-This normally applys to me and only some of anal members, but I would like to change the fuel filter as well. If you did before the storage, you dont need to do.
-Now, check the tire pressure, if you put max tire pressure before the storage, take out to approporiate level.

-slowly move out the car, slowly bring it up to the speed, get on the hwy and let her open slowly for at least 20 min.
-check the tire pressure and everything else again.

well that should be it.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Do I need to change coolant and oil before taking it for a run?

I was thinking of taking it straight from where it's stored to the shop to get an Inspection 1&2 done...
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
BennyL
7th Gear Member

for the record, inspection II includes everything on inspection I... as you can see by the lists i posted on THIS thread, as per your request.

and im sure its ok to drive it to the shop to get that done... just warm the car up a bit, drive it around slow a bit, you know, to ease in to it.

but dont take my word for it... i dont store my car.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: