Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
2000 328i with 132K km for $17K????

one of my buddies is looking to buy a car, and came across this thing. it's a e46 2000 328i with 132 000km on it for $17000 with sport package the guy says, i dont know much about the e46 so whats the SP on a sedan?? i saw it has HK speakers.

does this sound right ?? we went and looked at it today and it has a few rust spots on it already. with 6 years old it has more then my 9year old!!!
the hood is starting to rust just under the grill, the trunk has spot right above the plastic trim where the key hole is, and the rear passenger door on the bottom is bubbling as well.
the interior looks pretty mint. minor scratches in the back
the clutch felt funny to me, cuz im so used to mine and it wasnt even close to being as hard as mine feels like and other E36's i drove.
another note, the guy said the battery must have gotten drained while sitting there, so they had to boost it and then while sitting the the rpm kept dropping up and down for like 5min but after that it settled down.
we took it for a spin and it still pulls nicely just as mine (prolly faster but w/e) so at first look it doesnt look to bad i think for that price.

anyone any thoughts??
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
i was looking at 99 328's for less than that, a year ago, with no rust.

Rust on a 6 year old car generally means neglect. All cars will rust evertually, but that's way too soon. Take it to a shop.

keep in mind, once rust is there, it will always be there, even if you cover it/sand it. Better to buy rust free cars

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Careful, Careful...

The 99's and 00's had a plethora of problems. I would pay a bit more and get an 01...

Check the ball joints, common issue. Check to see if the tranny has been replaced if automatic and the rust sounds very odd. My 99 that I traded in last year due to TONS of problems had 0 rust...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
wazzzzup
2nd Gear Member

if it is rusting already then forget about it
wazzzzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
windsorbmw
Pedal to the metal!

I have an E46 328i (1999) and 100,000kms.....NO rust visible under or on the body.
So far for a 1999 I have no major issues only a airbag ligt issue which was resolved at the dealer.
Great car.
windsorbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
dropped_E30
6th Gear Member

dont do it!!!! this car sounds like a lemon to me, and if its rusted out already, it means the owner prolly didnt give a shit about maintaining it and didnt wanna spend money on rustproofing...
dropped_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

But, e46 do have rust problems under the hood. It is a known common problem depending on how you use the car. I shoot some Krown in the hood areas by the grill etc to prevent this. I was shown by a good BMW tech the issues on another car.

The other rust could have started do to scratches etc.

Was there a scratch at the base of the door where the rust is?

Hope this helps....

Canadian BlackBook Trade-In Values

Year Make Model Series Body Style
2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4D Sedan

Based on the kilometers entered
and the options selected, your vehicle's classification
is appraised as: Below Average.

Current KM Reading: 132,000

Depending on your vehicle's condition, the value may be appraised within the High and Low range. * less Reconditioning Costs

Low: $15,100.00 High: $17,350.00
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Some of the information here boggles my mind.

Listen, find the date the vehicle was purchased. Vehicles prior to 2004 have rust corrosion warranty from BMW, unlimited kilometers and fully transferable.

ANY rust on the vehicle within 6 years will be repaired. If it's on a fender, hood, trunk, or doors, the entire panel will be replaced with a brand new one. This is all done FREE OF CHARGE. (vehicles manufactured after 2004 have 12 years (!!!) rust warranty on it!)

With that said, the fluctuating tach is expected from a vehicle that has been sitting there. The vehicle probably needs a good inspection II done on it. The price seems about right.

Note that we picked up a 2002 e46 with 68k on the dial, fully loaded (every last possible factory option), it is a BMW Individually customized vehicle, for just a few grand more, and with 3 years additional warranty on it. Haven't had a single problem with it so far.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
just talked to him with all the info u guys said. so it's up to him now if he wants it or not. waiting for the insurance and bank calls tomorrow and he might pick it up, we'll see.

just looking into that rust and corrosion warranty and never knew they had that shit !!! impressive, but from what i remember the thing was 1st registered just aroun this time, so he might be out of luck. but a few of our friends work in bodyshops so that shouldnt be a big thing to fix i think.

anyways tnx guys, i'll keep posted how it goes
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
windsorbmw
Pedal to the metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Some of the information here boggles my mind.

Listen, find the date the vehicle was purchased. Vehicles prior to 2004 have rust corrosion warranty from BMW, unlimited kilometers and fully transferable.

ANY rust on the vehicle within 6 years will be repaired. If it's on a fender, hood, trunk, or doors, the entire panel will be replaced with a brand new one. This is all done FREE OF CHARGE. (vehicles manufactured after 2004 have 12 years (!!!) rust warranty on it!)

With that said, the fluctuating tach is expected from a vehicle that has been sitting there. The vehicle probably needs a good inspection II done on it. The price seems about right.

Note that we picked up a 2002 e46 with 68k on the dial, fully loaded (every last possible factory option), it is a BMW Individually customized vehicle, for just a few grand more, and with 3 years additional warranty on it. Haven't had a single problem with it so far.

JUSTIN:
Will mine have that warranty? I have just a spec of rust on the two corners of the trunk due to the previous owner that installed a spoiler and did not adjust the trunk to accomodate the weight, will BMW honor the warranty?
I do not know the date of manufacture, but it is a 1999 328i, besides these specs the body is in excellent shape.
windsorbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbmw
JUSTIN:
Will mine have that warranty? I have just a spec of rust on the two corners of the trunk due to the previous owner that installed a spoiler and did not adjust the trunk to accomodate the weight, will BMW honor the warranty?
I do not know the date of manufacture, but it is a 1999 328i, besides these specs the body is in excellent shape.
That would mean yours is more than 6 years old though...so no they wouldn't honor it. ONly vehicles after 2004 have the 12 years warranty.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #12
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
flav is right, it has to be 6 years old from the date the vehicle was originally purchased.

also, I doubt they would honor the warranty since the rust is from the owner drilling holes in the trunk and not installing the spoiler properly.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: