Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
fletch
M50B20 Engine

Send a message via MSN to fletch
Ball joint problem!!! please help

Hi, i gonna do my brake rotor and pads and ball joints tonight and i know there is a "E36 (3 series) Ball Joint Replacement Tool Set" looks like the one on the left

so i just wondering can i done with out it? i have a fork already to separate control arm and ball joint but do i really need this E36 ball joint tool? or is this just for easier job?

and can someone tell me why i need this ball joint remover/installer? i mean i can get ball joint out with a fork why do i still need this?
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I've done it both with and without the tool. The balljoint tool sure makes it a whole lot easier, and almost impossible to screw up. Also less chance of damaging your ball joints. The other way to do it, is the usual way of heating up the control arm so the hole expands, then tapping the ball joint in place.

The tool is used for both removing the old ball joint, and installing a new one. Note that not using the ball joint tool to install your ball joints will usually void the warranty on them.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
how much is that tool?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
fletch
M50B20 Engine

$480 Usd
Old 03-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
fletch
M50B20 Engine

Thank you Justin, i'm going to do it tonight on my appartment's basement..all i have are jack stand, tool set, fork and all by myself no friend do you think i can do it without that tool

i just want to know if is possible by myself and is it SAFE to do without that tool
how does that tool work? can you tell me how did you do without that tool please? and i don't think i can heat it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
I've done it both with and without the tool. The balljoint tool sure makes it a whole lot easier, and almost impossible to screw up. Also less chance of damaging your ball joints. The other way to do it, is the usual way of heating up the control arm so the hole expands, then tapping the ball joint in place.

The tool is used for both removing the old ball joint, and installing a new one. Note that not using the ball joint tool to install your ball joints will usually void the warranty on them.

Last edited by fletch; 03-09-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
The dealer will sell it (sometimes) to you for around $550. They'll usually treat you better if you're a known BMW mechanic. But you can find it online for around $300.

Or, if you're a cheapass, then get the GM ball joint tool (around $70 from CDN Tire), and buy the adapter plates separately for our BMW ball joints. Just make sure you get the ball joint tool for 4x4 trucks, as some of the car ball joint tools won't go deep enough for our control arms.

GM Ball Joint Tool:

Adapter parts:
Old 03-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

personally, I just take off my control arms and take it to a machine/engine shop to get new ball joints pressed in.

Justin, how much are those adaptors? That looks temping.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 03-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch
Thank you Justin, i'm going to do it tonight on my appartment's basement..all i have are jack stand, tool set, fork and all by myself no friend do you think i can do it without that tool

i just want to know if is possible by myself and is it SAFE to do without that tool
how does that tool work? can you tell me how did you do without that tool please? and i don't think i can heat it up
The ball joint tool works with a compressor and air tools. You basically line up the ball joint on the control arm, and it presses the ball joint out of of the arm (keeping it aligned, and straight.) Then you line up the new tool on the control arm, put the adapter plate on.. and close the grip on the tool again, it pushes the ball joint in place again, while keeping it straight.

I don't recommend trying it by yourself without heating it up.. chances are you'll damage the ball joint... it's tough to line it up straight and push it in place without damaging the ball joint, or having it sit on an angle.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
personally, I just take off my control arms and take it to a machine/engine shop to get new ball joints pressed in.

Justin, how much are those adaptors? That looks temping.
Yeah but you're professional... I'm just a lowly wanna-be driveway mechanic. The adapaters are around $150, for the outer ball joints. But you can get a more comprehensive set that includes adapters for inner, outer, and trailing arm bushings, for around $240.

Trailing Arm:

Inner Ball Joints:
Old 03-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
fletch
M50B20 Engine

is there anyway to replace ball joint with a fork and some base tools ...that's what i have now..
Old 03-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Yeah but you're professional... I'm just a lowly wanna-be driveway mechanic.
I'm a professional, but not a professional mechanic.
I'm no more professional mechanic then you are.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Storamin
2nd Gear Member

this is partly why I just bought completely new control arms.
Storamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #13
Furious
BMW again.

looks like a good kit, im fortunate enough to use the one at my mechanics shop, if you got a compressor and impact gun, it will make the job go so quick.

and you are both very accomplished driveway mechanics, much more than I and you certainly help me a hell of a lot. You should both be proud of the level of knowledge and skill you both possess.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch
is there anyway to replace ball joint with a fork and some base tools ...that's what i have now..
You should be able to borrow the GM tool from Cnd Tire. I believe most stores still have a tool loan-out program, and I'm pretty sure this is one of the tools you can get.

You can use the hammer and fork to get the old one out (be careful not to damage the control arm though!), then use the press to install the new one. It's a bit of a f-ck around with the cups and adapters to get it to work though.

On a side note, you can also use it for replacing your RTAB's!
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
My brother and i went to replace my ball joints today. We didnt have the right sockets for it, but were managing anyways...

Needless to say, we only got one in, and it got fuked up on the way in, and now i have to take it to a garage to have them both pulled and new ones put in again.

Both my brother, and his friend who are mechanics, and i agree that the bmw ball joints are the stupidest fawking designed ball joints ever. They made them so retarded that you pretty much cannot do anything with them unless you take it to them or have their special OVER priced stupid tool.

Ball joints suck, in my opinion, if you dont have the right tools dont even bother cuz bmw made it so you will fawk your self if you even try.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: