Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

Newbie here

Hey guys,
jap import turned euro spec here, i am located in london (ontario) i am currently driving a 94 acura integra with JDM front end conversion and am looking to get a 95 325 soon

anyhow, the 325i is actually a sedan slushbox, but overtime i would like to change that, i had a friend who has a vast knowledge with bmw's come over and gave it a good lookover and suggested somethings that might need to be fixed when/if i got it (shocks, P/S, OBC (couple dead pixels, things like that tend to bother me, i'm very picky), lower control arm bushings)

i've actually got a question too, are bmw's power steering supposed to be stiffer then your average honda/acura ? or am i looking at a power steering pump ? because it does feel quite stiff compared to my acura, and my friend who checked it said it may need a power steering pump, but i've always thought that when the power steering pump goes, it makes a loud noise when steering ? or have i worked on too many GM's ? i dont know for sure yet, but i am taking it into GT BMW saturday to be for sure...

another question i have also is, what do you guys think about monroe sensa-trac shocks ?, because i actually work for a certain automotive repair center that can get these at cost (i think about 60 some odd for the fronts and 90 some off for the rears) and mounts will cost me about 80

i've already looked at a few things for maintenence as well and saw that it wont be too bad, i had discussed this with my friend when he told me that i better be prepared to shell out some dough for owning one of these and here are some typical maintenence prices (these are prices excluding labour, i'll be doing most if not all the work myself)

oil changes (synthetic) 60 (havent gotten a definate pricing on oil filters, but since i will be keeping this car for quite a while i might order in the bulk)

bosal-part# 282-215 - dual pipes going into muffler- 315 <-- dont know if this may need to be changed soon, but i hope the stock SS one holds up
raybestos quiet stop front brake pads (top of the line)- 82
raybestos quiet stop rear brake pads (top of the line)- 66
raybestos front brake rotors- 44 each
raybestos rear brake rotors- 22 each

thanks guys

EDIT: pictures of the 325i slushbox will be posted up soon (saturday i hope)

Last edited by soon2b-e; 03-10-2006 at 06:02 AM.
soon2b-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

sorry those prices on the shocks are incorrect, i rechecked them and its 125 for the fronts and 65 forthe rears
Old 03-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
BennyL
7th Gear Member

hey soon2b, welcome to maXbimmer

i understand another member here just put monroe shocks on his car, and they are good. see this thread: LINK

as for buying oil filters in bulk, thats what i do. this guy on eBay is pretty good. but if you work for an auto shop, you might have more direct connections with an importer of MAHLE filters. those are the best for our cars. here's the eBay link: LINK

again, welcome to maXbimmer. you will find alot of helpful people here. and for the record, i'm the designated newbie around here

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b-e
i've actually got a question too, are bmw's power steering supposed to be stiffer then your average honda/acura ? or am i looking at a power steering pump ? because it does feel quite stiff compared to my acura, and my friend who checked it said it may need a power steering pump, but i've always thought that when the power steering pump goes, it makes a loud noise when steering ? or have i worked on too many GM's ? i dont know for sure yet, but i am taking it into GT BMW saturday to be for sure...

another question i have also is, what do you guys think about monroe sensa-trac shocks ?, because i actually work for a certain automotive repair center that can get these at cost (i think about 60 some odd for the fronts and 90 some off for the rears) and mounts will cost me about 80

i've already looked at a few things for maintenence as well and saw that it wont be too bad, i had discussed this with my friend when he told me that i better be prepared to shell out some dough for owning one of these and here are some typical maintenence prices (these are prices excluding labour, i'll be doing most if not all the work myself)
Welcome to the forum. Typical BMW maintenance is not any different (in terms of pricing) from any other vehicle, providing you know where to go to get the work done.

BMW steering is indeed more stiff than your usual GM, or Japanese vehicle. It's a part of the european vehicle feel, that the steering is "connected to the road". If your power steering pump was going, you'd hear a grinding sound. Nothing to worry about.

Some members have used the Monroe shocks, apparently they're not bad. I think it really does depend on what your overall plans are for the car, if it's just to be a street car, then there really shouldn't be any problems with these shocks.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
gas pedals are stiffer too, In my old mitsubishi, you tap the pedal and its floored. with a bmw you actually have to apply pressure to get her down... i LOVE that.

I love the stiffer steering as well, not to mention the amazing tight turning radious on them.

Gotta love european (german) engineering

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the input and welcomes guys, i called up GT BMW and those guys are great, he explained to me that BMW's steering is like that because of the non FWD assist
i might not even have to go there, the mechanics i work with will pin point what i will need to replace and such, just like justin had said, its just typical stuff, there shouldnt be anything there that should surprise me.....
and to spooners comment on the pedal, i noticed that too, so i guess there shouldnt be too many things to be worried about then

btw, i've been trying to source out the projector headlights that use a 9006, the reason why is because i wanna use the osram (parent company of sylvania) HID kit that i have, but they were specificly designed for projectors (d2s?), are there any projector headlights out there that use 9006 ? or am i looking at retrofitting ?

Last edited by soon2b-e; 03-10-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
BennyL
7th Gear Member

im not very familiar with bulb types, but i do know that the most common upgrade for E36 headlights is, switching to the European headlights, which are projectors/ellipsoids.

the best you can get is ZKW, they make the OEM ones for BMW. ask justin, he uses them. BUT - they are very expensive. so, alot of people buy DEPO projectors. they are the best aftermarket company for E36 projectors, they are DOT approved, and they are very high quality. we are actually trying to conduct a group buy for DEPO's. see this thread: LINK. just warning you, its a long thread. basic point of the story is, we are in the works for figuring it out.

i drove 2 GM behicles before my E36. steering and throttle feel is totally different.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

Welcome to Max

If your looking to upgrade your headlights, ZKW are one of the best. But also cost more too. If your on a tight budget get the DEPOS. Many members on board have them.
I don't know anything but Monroe shocks, but I had Bilstiens (yellow) and they are great
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
btw, i've been trying to source out the projector headlights that use a 9006, the reason why is because i wanna use the osram (parent company of sylvania) HID kit that i have, but they were specificly designed for projectors (d2s?), are there any projector headlights out there that use 9006 ? or am i looking at retrofitting ?
You'll be retrofitting unfortunately. The stock 'plastic' headlights use 9006/9007 bulbs, however projector headlamps typically use H1 bulbs for our e36's.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #10
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys, im amazed at how much help you guys are, in the 5 days (+ prior research) i kept trying to find them, but to no avail. they were either the h7's or h1's
but before i get those, i need to know about another problematic thing with the e36, the question is: how bad are the rads on these ?
because the car i am getting blew the rad, literally....
we were driving downtown, he was heading home, i was heading to laser quest (not my idea, g/f's friends idea) and we were at a stop light, i looked over at him in my g/f's ford taurus (3L dohc) and we went at the light, i gave it till i hit 60 and let off, and as he kept going (he was probably really pushing her hard) plastic pieces start to fly from under his car, so did a whole whack load of coolant and the car started to smoke like crazy..

i immediately called him and told him to pull over and check the car, and apparently his rad took a dump and the whole plastic ends are just gone.....
what i want to know is, how much are they typically, and are they well known for that under pressure ? or is this a sign of another problem ?
i told him to fill er up with coolant mixed with water (50/50) and drive home carefully, i dont know how bad it is.....at this point im worried for the worst...
Old 03-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #11
superman123
slushbox champion

prob wrong coolant...cos that can damage the rad

Last edited by superman123; 03-11-2006 at 01:37 AM.
superman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:50 AM   #12
Justin e36
---

Quote:
thanks guys, im amazed at how much help you guys are, in the 5 days (+ prior research) i kept trying to find them, but to no avail. they were either the h7's or h1's
but before i get those, i need to know about another problematic thing with the e36, the question is: how bad are the rads on these ?
because the car i am getting blew the rad, literally....
we were driving downtown, he was heading home, i was heading to laser quest (not my idea, g/f's friends idea) and we were at a stop light, i looked over at him in my g/f's ford taurus (3L dohc) and we went at the light, i gave it till i hit 60 and let off, and as he kept going (he was probably really pushing her hard) plastic pieces start to fly from under his car, so did a whole whack load of coolant and the car started to smoke like crazy..

i immediately called him and told him to pull over and check the car, and apparently his rad took a dump and the whole plastic ends are just gone.....
what i want to know is, how much are they typically, and are they well known for that under pressure ? or is this a sign of another problem ?
i told him to fill er up with coolant mixed with water (50/50) and drive home carefully, i dont know how bad it is.....at this point im worried for the worst...
An aftermarket rad is in the $140 range, installation you can do yourself in a few minutes, not difficult at all. I don't know anyone this actually happening to, but I remember reading about a defective rad neck at one point.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #13
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman123
prob wrong coolant...cos that can damage the rad
what type of coolant does this thing take ?
like i know GM has there special coolant, theres the green type, and then toyota has there own type, does BMW have there own too ?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #14
superman123
slushbox champion

yip... u have to get it from bmw ..its about 24bucks
justin would know an alternative coolant

Last edited by superman123; 03-11-2006 at 11:11 AM.
superman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
Welcome to Max!!!!
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: