Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
Euro3
2nd Gear Member

Because the tread wear on the T1R's are awful and the way I get on my car they would last about 5k
Euro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #17
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro3
Because the tread wear on the T1R's are awful and the way I get on my car they would last about 5k
If you are 'getting on' your car so much that you wear tires down in 5k then you shouldn't be running all seasons at all.
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #18
Euro3
2nd Gear Member

That is the point the all season wear better, if was tracking the car I would go T1r's. The proxes 4 are good for performance and have good tread wear.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #19
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
That is the point the all season wear better, if was tracking the car I would go T1r's
But all-seasons don't perform well under 'spirited' driving so you are risking yourself and others by over driving like that with all seasons.

The only really decent all-season with reletively good performance that I can think of is the Falken Ziex ZE-512.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #20
Euro3
2nd Gear Member

I have had a set of 512's and the Proxes 4 blow those away. If you think 512's are a better tire then you would be the one risking others. The Proxes4 is an ALL season High Performance tire. Trust me I am 38 and have autocrossed since I was 20 and have had many sets of tires. The proxes 4 is a good tire no matter what Jordan thinks, he just likes a high performance tire over an all season.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #21
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
I have had a set of 512's and the Proxes 4 blow those away. If you think 512's are a better tire then you would be the one risking others. The Proxes4 is an ALL season High Performance tire. Trust me I am 38 and have autocrossed since I was 20 and have had many sets of tires. The proxes 4 is a good tire no matter what Jordan thinks, he just likes a high performance tire over an all season.
All season and high performance are 2 terms that are mutually exclusive. Tire manufacturers just use them to sucker people in to thinking the've got the ability to drive faster than they should in all road conditions.

It's bad enough that people still beleive that all season tires really are "all season" then they have to add the high performance moniker.

I'm not doubting your abilities but your logic is a little screwed up. You want to drive hard and fast but you want a tire that is good all year round and wears well. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #22
Euro3
2nd Gear Member

Here is some insight on your 512's from a consumer
After wearing out my Falken 512s, i tried Dunlop FM901s and then switched to these Toyo Proxes 4 because the single ply sidewall on the Dunlops just lead to sloppy stearing response even after trying numerous PSI combinations(scary at speeds above 140km/hr). These Toyos are great on dry and and good on wet pavement, although standing water is ok=hydroplaning is unavoidable at higher speeds(120km/hr). This is NOT a tire u want to drive in snow but if your in a jam they will get you through it(with AWD anyways). Steering response is very precise (better than the Falken and much better than the Dunlop). The tire grip limit is easily predicited and breaks away smoothly. Ride comfort and noise are exceptional, best i have had yet. Overall these are great tires to drive from March to November when using a dedicated winter for the other months. BTW, if I had to rely on my bimmer during the winter months I would have snow tires on my car.

Last edited by Euro3; 02-27-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #23
Euro3
2nd Gear Member

I would agree with you on the tires being all season and then add the high performance aspect. I would say the Proxes 4 are more of a performance tire that you could get you by in other conditions. My logic is fine as I was making a comment on a good tire for his 15' stockers. I personaly do not care about a good all year round tire as the only thing I deal with is dry and wet here in GA. Hell my Kuhmo 712's I had were great tires for those conditions.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #24
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Here is some insight on your 512's from a consumer
After wearing out my Falken 512s, i tried Dunlop FM901s and then switched to these Toyo Proxes 4 because the single ply sidewall on the Dunlops just lead to sloppy stearing response even after trying numerous PSI combinations(scary at speeds above 140km/hr). These Toyos are great on dry and and good on wet pavement, although standing water is ok=hydroplaning is unavoidable at higher speeds(120km/hr). This is NOT a tire u want to drive in snow but if your in a jam they will get you through it(with AWD anyways). Steering response is very precise (better than the Falken and much better than the Dunlop). The tire grip limit is easily predicited and breaks away smoothly. Ride comfort and noise are exceptional, best i have had yet. Overall these are great tires to drive from March to November when using a dedicated winter for the other months.
Never trust reviews from consumers......too subjective. I have FM901s currently and I'd tell you they aren't as bad as everyone tells you....but you shouldn't take my word for it.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
pm sent

Its a lifestyle.www.coolkidsclub.ca

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/EuroDriftStar
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/641215cruz
Chris de la Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #26
Euro3
2nd Gear Member

True true but my distributors and friends have had nothing but good things to say about the proxes4 so you have to believe something. I personally have driven on them and Michelin pilot sports are great tires and in my opinion the 4's are better, but like you said you should not take my word for it.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Your logic is messed up. You want to drive hard on all seasons. Good luck with that.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #28
Euro3
2nd Gear Member

Where in my post does it say I want to DRIVE HARD in all seasons. What don't you understand about we do not have all seasons here in atl, it is a moot point. I drive my cabrio when it is sunny, we hardly see snow, and if we do I use the SUV and in the rain I do not do spirited driving. The POINT is the Proxes are a good overall tire.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #29
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Where in my post does it say I want to DRIVE HARD in all seasons.
Quote:
Because the tread wear on the T1R's are awful and the way I get on my car they would last about 5k.
Even a high perf summer tire will last longer than 5K miles unless you are driving 'hard'.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #30
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

just go and get TOYO's T1R or T1S and call it a day....cheers....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: