Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
paul
5th Gear Member

how do u remove the glass on ur cluster

How do u remove the glass in front of ur cluster. i havea carbon backing 4 it and have to remove it, that dam thing is glued down
Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
paul
5th Gear Member

come on guys????
Old 02-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
6cylinder
2nd Gear Member

Send a pm to Furious. He has just put the surround in. Said it was a Beeatch..
Old 02-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
open it up from behind, and you can remove the entire front cover / shell as one-piece and do your work from inside the holes. It will be in 3 pieces:

1 - The shell with plastic cover
2 - The gauge faces
3 - The backing circuit board & lights

The cover will end up looking like this:
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
paul
5th Gear Member

thanx justin but the thing comes out as one full part. i have the backing in carbon fiber andwont fit in the tac holds. the glass has to come out to lay it in rigth. it is the only way. just the glass is glue in a grove all the way around, I think i have to cut it out.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
Furious
BMW again.

haha paul i did this 2 weeks ago, it was a pain in the ass, ill link you to how i did it. which happens to be where justin got that pic. the part i didnt include was how to get the gauge bezzle in. what i did was got it to pass through the one of the larger ring holes untill you have it in , than use a sharp knife or something similar start a corner on the 3m tape and peel it off, than position it in the proper place and stick it down.

link to my FAQ forum
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/upg...tml#post395550
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
Furious
BMW again.

ok ill try to do this step by step the best i can..

-i assume you got the cluster out and the backing off of it. (if not than use my link to find out how http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/upg...tml#post395550) now to get the dials out this took me a whiile to figure out myself , it was a pain in the ass.

-once you can see the dials (from the back) there are three black and white stalks (the white part moves circular which seems to be the release catch on the stalks but this is actually jsut a small part of the release.
-you need to use a set of large pliers or vice grips to turn the whole black/white stalk, the black part of the stalk is what needs to turn about a 1/4 of the way than you can use the white part to clear the dial housing.
-once you have done this to all three of the stalks the whole dial assembly should come out (its once piece)
-once you get the dials out you can actually fit the CF bezel in one of the larger holes (**do not remove the 3m tape yet) of the cluster , because the actual housing does not come apart, you need to feed in majority of it in than kinda squeeze in the last part of the bezel.
-once you get it in and see how it obviously fits against the back of the gauge housing, you need to start one edge of hte 3m tape backing and peel the 3m tape backing off, than you have to position the CF bezel in the proper spot than you can use your fingers and stick it down in place..
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: