Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
325isedan
2nd Gear Member

diy e36 mods

what can i do to a non vanos engine 2.5l while I have it all apart? porting and polishing? if so which intake or exhaust ports? Cam shaft? basically diy mods, cuz i have the engine half apart got about another 5-10 hours left max, n e imput ill consider and will keep the board posted with pics, thanx!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Upgrading cams is definatly something a lot of people do. The m50 takes different kind of cams, i believe s52 cams will work in a m50, but dont provide as much of a gain as they would in a m52. You also need the tool to align them. Are you considering installing a 3.5" HFM aswell?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
325isedan
2nd Gear Member

n e thing goes right now, so yeah 3.5hfm is worth considering and doin
Old 02-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
For cams you're pretty much at a loss unless you buy a Schrick intake cam and install the stock intake cam on the exhaust side. You can't use M3 cams in the non-vanos engine. A 3.5" HFM won't do anything for you, it's not a bottleneck in the intake tract. It's not even useful on the 2.8L engine.

Porting and polishing isn't all that great, or cheap. The non-vanos head is a great head out of the box. The stock valvetrain is great. If you want to increase airflow, just get an intake cam, shorty exhaust headers, and a proper cold air intake.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
BennyL
7th Gear Member

quick question. whats HFM?

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

HFM is the air flow meter. the M50s make no use of it, even if you add larger injectors.

I have a 92 as well, if im even considering any mods its FI. Afterall, that is why i bought the 92. The thicker cylinder walls, shorter stroke..dual valvesprings (hello 7000rpm)..sounds like sex to me combined with a nice turbocharger.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_blaze
HFM is the air flow meter. the M50s make no use of it, even if you add larger injectors.

I have a 92 as well, if im even considering any mods its FI. Afterall, that is why i bought the 92. The thicker cylinder walls, shorter stroke..dual valvesprings (hello 7000rpm)..sounds like sex to me combined with a nice turbocharger.
M50's make no use of an HFM? Have you ever disconnected the HFM and tried to get the engine to run?

HFM actually stands for hot film meter, also known as the AFM, air meter, etc, etc.

The 92 has the same bore stroke (84x75mm) as the 87-95 (non-eta) m20 and m50TU engines, the cylinder walls are the same thickness as the 93-95 M50TU engines. Pretty much the whole motor minus the head is the same as the M50TU
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
325isedan
2nd Gear Member

k guys I have the t.b off, the intake manifold off, the valve cover off with the ignition coils obvioulsly, spark plugs, fuel lines and all, now where do I focus my attention to, in order to get to the head gasket...thanx again, step by step I will do this, lol ( WHOA I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM ATTEMPTING THIS ALONE!) help maxbimmer!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
every time i read one of nelsons posts, it encourages me not to give anyone any car advice (nelson keep posting, the other forum members will thank you)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:51 AM   #10
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isedan
k guys I have the t.b off, the intake manifold off, the valve cover off with the ignition coils obvioulsly, spark plugs, fuel lines and all, now where do I focus my attention to, in order to get to the head gasket...thanx again, step by step I will do this, lol ( WHOA I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM ATTEMPTING THIS ALONE!) help maxbimmer!!!
we can offer quite a bit of advice and guidance, but I would highly recommend investing a few dollars in a bentley manual or a similar manual that does an engine strip-down. Not that we can't provide the information you need, but step by step pictures can help quite a bit.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
325isedan
2nd Gear Member

I dl'd the link that was on here for the benlty manual but it needed a password after I opened it...does n e body else have it or know the pass for it? I don't know what to tackle next on the engine in terms of tearing it down, I could tear it all down but I wanna do it right. Justine point me in the direction and ill do it, lol, plz and ty guys!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
BennyL
7th Gear Member

if the intake manifold is off, shouldnt the head gasket be the next down the line, sitting right on top of the cylinder heads?

correct me if im wrong... cuz i usually am.

ps - i like ur name for justin. justine!

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
325isedan
2nd Gear Member

hopefully i get steered into the right direction tonight as its one of my only free nights this week and im still payin insurance on it and need it runnin asap, thanx again bro's
Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
2slow4door
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 2slow4door Send a message via Yahoo to 2slow4door
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
if the intake manifold is off, shouldnt the head gasket be the next down the line, sitting right on top of the cylinder heads?

correct me if im wrong... cuz i usually am.

ps - i like ur name for justin. justine!

hg is between the head and block (above the cylinders, below the head) the one ontop is just the seal for the valve cover

correct ME if I'm wrong but I don't believe I am
2slow4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #15
325isedan
2nd Gear Member

so do i have to tear down the cam shaft and all that?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: