Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Opinions on ball joints?

Ok im going to be having my ball joints replaced soon, as ive posted b4 the driver side is shot so im going to replace them both. I see there are stock ones (with rubber) which fail after some miles, and i see there are metal ones which sellers like bavarian auto claims wont fail. Does anyone have experience with the metal ones. are they any good, will it make the ride a bit harder etc? what would you recomend? im kinda leaning towards stock ones, what are your opinions?

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
From what i hear from very reputable sources, metal ones aren't worth it. Replacing ball joints isn't crazy labour intensive, go with the rubber ones and you'll have to replace them a little more often, instead of shelling out tons more cash for the metal ones, and still haveing to replace them almost as often

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

metal b.joints would harden up the ride alot, you'd think
Old 01-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

The metal ones were only $15 more each...just do it. I couldn't feel that much of a difference in harshness...but hard to tell because the old ones were worn out and the ride was sloppy.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Arrow ^^^ Dito...

Metal ones rule and are the same price as OEM if you buy on eBay.
I picked up the complete control arm, as it was much easier to replace than individual ball joints. Once they're installed you'll probably never have to worry about them again. BTW.....Didn't notice any difference in harshness.

Remember to check the rest of your suspension, as you want to replace all the worn parts now and prevent paying for labour or an allignment twice.

Best,

Marv.
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:51 AM   #6
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Charlie replaced my "non-failing" metal ball joints back to OEM ones already. They didn't make the ride much harsher for me, did make the steering tighter. But they also didn't last as long as advertised. Everyone will always preach aftermarket over OEM when it comes to parts like this though. Brand new aftermarket ones cost what, $70? I just picked up a ball joint tool to do these myself too, so it's not a big deal anymore.

Here is a pic of the *actual balljoints* removed from my vehicle after only 7,000km. Mind you, my car never see's any roads harsher than the 401, and I never kick or abuse my car:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meyle7.jpg (56.2 KB, 170 views)
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #7
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Charlie replaced my "non-failing" metal ball joints back to OEM ones already. They didn't make the ride much harsher for me, did make the steering tighter. But they also didn't last as long as advertised. Everyone will always preach aftermarket over OEM when it comes to parts like this though. Brand new aftermarket ones cost what, $70? I just picked up a ball joint tool to do these myself too, so it's not a big deal anymore.

Here is a pic of the *actual balljoints* removed from my vehicle after only 7,000km. Mind you, my car never see's any roads harsher than the 401, and I never kick or abuse my car:

justin, thats a pic of the metal ones after only 7,000km? if so i dont think ill be getting them. The roads i travel on are sometimes pretty harsh and i drive ALOT i need somtin to last me atleast a few years.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Yes, the one on the left, and middle are mine. The one on the right is someone else's, not sure how many km is on that one. It's around 7km on my ball joints.. maybe a little bit more. They look like they've been on the car for 15 years though.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

The Meyle metal ones apparently are not hardened, and fail just as easily (if not more so) than the OE one. Stick with OEM, or Lemforder brand.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH
The Meyle metal ones apparently are not hardened, and fail just as easily (if not more so) than the OE one. Stick with OEM, or Lemforder brand.
I don't trust Lemforder personally. While I don't know the quality of their ball joints, I do know that there is currently a class action suit against them. Out of 43 timing chains tested, all 43 snapped. Many causing collateral damage. One timing chain did manage to last 14,000km before snapping though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lemforder.jpg (248.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Perhaps you can consider upgrade to OEM M3 ball joints...
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #12
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
what is the difference between the oem M3 and regular E36
Old 01-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
Justin e36
---

New style M3 ball joints are solid. IMO geoff gave the best advice right there. M3 ball joints are the way to go.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
jeffrie
Addict

Rplaced my ball joint with a OEM from the stealers.
Their one of the weird dealer parts that don't cost much, it was only 36 dollars taxes included.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #15
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie
Rplaced my ball joint with a OEM from the stealers.
Their one of the weird dealer parts that don't cost much, it was only 36 dollars taxes included.

They are dirt cheap because they sell so many of them...LOL. Balljoints are dirt cheap in general for E36.... E46 its the complete arm....not so cheap

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: